Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 01-31-2013, 07:36 PM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to chadperkins
Not a major update but I got the rear deck mostly done. Not difficult just tedius with all of the lifting hooks and weld beads. I have to give credit to Lion Roar here, the mesh they produce for the vents is pretty awesome stuff. It really looks like it interwoven mesh like the real thing.

Going to move on to the right hull side fittings next. I've gotten started on soldering the rear track hangers and I've done some work on the tool racks for this side. Figured I'd better sort out the side rails before I glued any of that stuff on. As always, thanks for looking and feel free to comment.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2013, 09:49 PM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to David Diaz
Look great Chad!

I like where you pushed in slighty on the mesh screens. It really adds a nice touch.

dave

SCOUTS OUT!

"To know, that is Wisdom.
To use it, is the Art."

- Clive Barker

http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=173
(Click to visit my v-Bench)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2013, 06:25 PM
vBench

Looking good!

Nice and clean so far Chad! I'm getting ready to kick off my Panther G Mid/Late... will get a thread up soon too I hope!

Until then I'm watching with much interest. looks like Alpine to put out a nice Spring awakening par for your panther in a dio?!?! wink wink just a thought.

On a side note. When you get to the turret... can you confirm wether or not i'm imagining things on the turret not sitting correctly on the hull? To me, usually Dragon panther turrets leave a wide gap between the Hull and turret?

Collin

Last edited by Eric Grim; 02-01-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2013, 07:41 AM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to Gopher
great work Chad!
glad to see you back on PA!

Current projects:
SdKfz 251 D in zimmerit
SdKfz 251 D megamix [on hold]
Scratch KV-220 [on hold]
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2013, 09:21 AM
vBench

If you're referring to this guy, I'm already on it. Got him a week or so ago. Didn't get the optional second figure but if I decide to add a driver I can use just about anything I have in the stash for that. Now if I could just get Calvin to paint him for me

Last edited by chadperkins; 02-02-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2013, 04:30 PM
vBench

Still working on the right hull side fittings and wanted a change of pace so I put the barrel together. It's from the Lion Roar kit and it's really well done. Threaded muzzle break that screws on the barrel and all of it looks really good.

Since the barrel was ready, I worked on the mantlet to get it ready. The lifting lugs were added to the sides and the drip rail cut off and replaced with a thinner PE part which looks much better. The casting mark across the face of the mantlet is consipicuously absent from the kit part for whatever reason so I had to add it. I redid it a couple times to get it like I wanted (was either crooked, too thick, too perfect looking, etc...) but it's essentially done by taking off the area and applying a thin coat of tamiya putty. Removed the tape and mashed it down with my fingers a bit followed by a very light sanding as it was drying. once it was "blended", I applied a few coats of Mr. Surfacer to join on the drop rail and to texture the mantlet and blend the casting marks in. I'm pretty happy with it.

I'll try to get some pics up soon of the right hull side that I've been working on. I just needed a break from that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Love the details

Thank you.

AWD

my twitter https://twitter.com/#!/alexwence
my 'Attention To Detail' blog: http://scratch-builder.blogspot.com/
Modelers Alliance 'Masters Classes':http://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/alex-de-leon
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2013, 11:33 AM
vBench

Little update on where I'm at today. After my little detour with the barrel and mantlet, I finished up the shurtzen rails/fender and forward fittings on the driver's side. nothing too difficult here just time consuming. I've soldered the spare track hangers for the rear section but havn't done the chains and pins yet so it hasn't been attached. I usually put the tracks and pins and everything together before painting and pick out the track paint with a small brush but I'm thinking of trying to solder all of this so that I can remove the tracks to paint and then put them in after. Lots of others do it that way so I thought I might give it a shot if I can just get the pins and chains to solder without making a mess.... We'll see how that goes.

I did also clean up all of the major turret components and get them ready to assemble. I would prefer the turret not be made up of so many pieces but I suppose that aids in the detail in some way so oh well. That's for another day.....
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2013, 11:36 AM
vBench

i hate you PE guys
that looks sooo good
Reply With Quote top
Users like KuKŁiNsKi's post!
Old 02-03-2013, 12:50 PM
vBench

I feel your pain KuK...looks great though Chad!
Reply With Quote top