That's the boxart that I did fro the kit- one of the more successful paintings for me given the time constraints on these things.
So while I have not finished the Bison I
completely, I felt the irresistible urge to begin work on this item from Dragon. My interest seems to be a rather pedantic one of trying to progress though the ranks of my kits almost mirroring the progression in development of the real things- I find that this may help me get a grasp on the changes and improvements that the Germans came up with as they went along perfecting the design of their AFV's.
This kit #6230 shares many of the same sprues as the previously mention ed kit with a few exclusive sprues thrown in.
I won't bore you or me with pictures of sprues on this one- just straight into it. I learned a few things on my last encounter with the Panzer I kits from DML, and except for cutting the wheel and suspension parts off the trees and then cleaning them up, I will skip working on them and jump right into the gun and hull aspects. I mean modelling is supposed to be fun right, not drudgery!
I will be keeping the metal rims off the wheels until after the initial weather of the road wheels as well this time- hoping to create a better shiny flat surface on those parts with a metallic paint. Also I will keep the metallic strip along the fender off till after most of the work is done as well- preventing the inevitable cracking off that happens when handling fragile and brittle CA joints.
Here are few informal shots of parts on the sprue trees.
My initial excitement of getting to build a new type of gun from Dragon, namely the captured 4.7 cm Pak 36 (t) that is used on this tank killer was eventually wilted by some of the real difficulty in achieving a great result I had envisioned. But more on that later...
The two halves that will be cleaned up and joined, it'll be intersting to see what after market barrels/photo etch become available.
As you can see some of the parts are insanely small!
I tried to build my gun to be movable but this time around I had to make it static, the tolerances on the tiny parts is just soooo narrow- maybe I'll do better next time!