Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 07-07-2008, 06:17 AM
vBench

Thanks fellas, this kit is pretty good, one of the best from DML yet. Most of the weld beads are exemplary! Also the fit on many of the parts is so good that you don't even need to use glue!
One issue though that was brought up over on Marco's build is the fit of part B10 & 11. I did notice a bit of a disturbance in the force with those parts and how the fit onto the hull tub. I did have a flashing thought to take them to a sanding block and thin them out a little, which definitely would of helped, and I recommend you do it but I want ed to go forward so I said Damn the Torpedoes full steam ahead and just slathered some Testors Liquid Cement onto the parts and hoped for the best. In the end as you can see in the following foto there is a very slight elevation or profile difference, but there is a seam along th part that is on the front of the hull tub and the hull tub, and I reckoned that this would all be levelled out in due course. This foreshadowed conclusion did in fact happen. This is just one of those minor problems that is all part and parcel of building a plastic model. Were the hell would be the fun in any project if it all just went together perfect with no sanding or filling. Sounds pretty boring to me.

Marco file the end of his parts to dove tail into place better- this is something that is recommended as well as take a look at if the thickness can be dealt with with a little sanding.

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP

Last edited by James Tainton; 07-08-2008 at 06:17 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2008, 06:33 AM
vBench

I wanted to try something different on the exhaust muffler, as many photos I have seen of late show this part dented and bash. So to do this I thought I would drill out the plastic muffler and then thin the walls so I could gently push in some evidence of combat/bad driving.

After many hours I got it to where liked it, including adding a tiny top tube that was drilled out Evergreen rod I tried bending the fly wing thin plastic. Well let me just say it was not that successful.

I took a look at one of the Moskit exhausts I have for Panzer IVs but it was only suitable for the early version, based on a Panzer E chassis. So back to the drawin board I decided to try using some metal from a ex chicken pot pie container. I measured and cut a strip and rolled it up to try a nsolder it. That was a waste of time because the metal was an aluminum alloy of some sort.

But then it came into my brain that I do have some very thin brass and that solders up nice and so I went ahead and made my first scratched up muffler.

Added some strips and some of those dents and a few bullet holes

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP

Last edited by James Tainton; 07-08-2008 at 06:17 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2008, 07:57 AM
vBench

Looks like another superb Dragon kit. Nice work on the exhaust muffler. Thanks for sharing your build - especially the close-up photos.

Keep us posted.

cheers,
Julian
Old 07-07-2008, 08:06 AM
vBench

James, I really appreciate the "if at first you don't succeed, try, try, again" honesty to the build. It's important to me to be able to see the thought process (and trials) as well as the actual building.

Definately the Midas Touch with that muffler.

Rick

Vbench
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2008, 08:17 AM
vBench

Great work on the muffler, it looks really cool
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2008, 11:03 AM
vBench

Nice Muffler!
Old 07-07-2008, 12:22 PM
vBench

I think that muffler is a little bit to much damaged beacuse it is not empty it usually has a ribs inside, look at the pic.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2008, 01:00 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to sharkmouth Send a message via AIM to sharkmouth Send a message via MSN to sharkmouth Send a message via Yahoo to sharkmouth Send a message via Skype™ to sharkmouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minesweeper View Post
I think that muffler is a little bit too damaged because it is not empty it usually has a ribs inside
Hi Minesweeper,

You are correct that the exhaust muffler is not empty and has several baffles within. However, the complete construction of mufflers is from thin metal and easily damaged. Many photos have shown worse damage than that inflicted by James on his. So, unless the exhaust muffler was shown ripped open, these internal baffles would not be seen.

Good post though in case someone does indeed show the muffler torn open.

Regards,

Saúl García
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift
It is why it is called The Present!

Last edited by sharkmouth; 07-07-2008 at 01:46 PM. Reason: spelling, of course!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2008, 01:22 PM
vBench

Mr Wizard's workshop

James - this is where I burn up most of my modelling time... trying to make this and that, and having about one in ten work out like I had envisioned I'm always amazed at how much time passes making something about the size of your thumb nail...

Good looking muffler work - I'm thinking about trying the same with some lead foil (I've been playing with the DML Mk IV F1 in anticipation).

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2008, 05:53 PM
vBench

Gday James,

I started one of these yesterday - and i have to say that I agree with you - the kit is one of the best fitting kits ive ever touched, everything fits together really well, with virtually no gaps. B10 and B11 needed a microscopic amount of plastic removed to improve the fit - 1 pass with the exacto had it sorted. I am pushing ahead with all the big bits, so that I can add zimmerit before all the little fiddly stuff, and everything goes together spot on!

Looking forward to your continued build,

Sam