Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 07-04-2007, 11:06 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to sharkmouth Send a message via AIM to sharkmouth Send a message via MSN to sharkmouth Send a message via Yahoo to sharkmouth Send a message via Skype™ to sharkmouth
Real Models Panther Engine Set Review Preview

Hi Guys,

This is the next item I am reviewing. Being Planet Panther I thought you may be interested:

I ripped the box open before I realized I had not photographed it

The main casting looking to the rear

looking to the front, only a few pinholes visible

The other items are mounted on slabs which eliminated large bubbles

oblique view to enjoy the detail

from the other side

This part needed a bit of sanding to open up the carburetor holes

The combination air filters pretty much means a later engine

Here, the right side has the pins trimmed down and the left does not

All the sanding has opened up the carb holes

which sadly do not line up (note the front and rear sets of holes)

More text to follow.

Regards,

Saúl García
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift
It is why it is called The Present!

Last edited by sharkmouth; 09-12-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2007, 11:54 PM
vBench

Hi Saul thanks for the pics. It seems there are a number of air holes and the edges of some of the rectangular shapes such as the fan housings are a little warped, a common issue with resin. I wonder how this one might compare with say the CMK or Verlinden sets?

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2007, 01:32 AM
vBench

Didn't Tigermodel one too?
But comparing them will be a good idea.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2007, 03:10 AM
vBench

Thanks for sharing!
Seems nice, though there is a lot of clean-up work to do!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2007, 04:41 AM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to sharkmouth Send a message via AIM to sharkmouth Send a message via MSN to sharkmouth Send a message via Yahoo to sharkmouth Send a message via Skype™ to sharkmouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfaust View Post
It seems there are a number of air holes and the edges of some of the rectangular shapes such as the fan housings are a little warped, a common issue with resin. I wonder how this one might compare with say the CMK or Verlinden sets?
Hi,

In the photos, I did not clean up a little resin slag off some of the items so you get an idea of the clean up. However, the only pinholes visible through an open engine hatch are easily covered with punched styrene.

The combination air filters did have very thin walls which are damaged. The photo shows damage from a bubble as well as pieces just broken off.

I have both older Verlinden sets (one is a SuperTech set, No. 397, designed for the Gunze Sangyo/older Dragon G and the regular set, No. 1203, designed for the Tamiya kit).

Unlike the later Verlinden set, this one is not designed to have all the engine access plates off. The depth of the engine casting is much greater allowing for better detail. However, some detail is so fine that pieces have broken loose (see behind the right hand tightening wheel in the eighth photo). It is reparable though.

The older Verlinden set has a complete engine casting and etched metal side walls.

I will be digging up 2 Dragon Panthers (Ausf A & Smart G) to see the fit. The Real Models set states Ausf D as well but the hull shapes are the same on the Ausf D & A kits. As for whether the Ausf D ever had this engine, well...my references will tell me.

And you wonder why I never get to finish a kit

Regards,

Saúl García
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift

Last edited by sharkmouth; 07-05-2007 at 07:56 PM. Reason: added the stock numbers for Verlinden's sets
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2007, 06:58 AM
vBench

A great review here Thanks Saul...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2007, 09:00 AM
vBench

Thanks Marco,

It is only a preview of a full review in the works. Since I take many photos, then scrutinize them (the benefit of high magnification), I can see the good, bad, and forgotten points. This allows me to go back, with references in hand, comment on accuracy (I already have an idea of difficulty of assembly), and write in detail.

Regards,

Saúl García
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift

Last edited by sharkmouth; 07-05-2007 at 07:58 PM. Reason: I answered here instead of the proper post...obviously, I need sleep!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2007, 09:25 AM

Where's the toolbox? I see the support brackets on the left-hand side, but no toolbox... did they model this from a museum engine with a missing toolbox?

Here are some sketches of the filters so you can check the size... these dimensions are in millimeters at 1/35 scale, so you can read them off a ruler.

The first diagram shows the filters from above, plus the magnetos, so you know which is the back end of the engine.

The other diagram is an air filter unit as seen from the front.
Ten years ago I was telling everybody about asymmetric Tiger turrets, now I'm pointing out these asymmetric Panther filters! In the real vehicle, they are centered 10mm to the left of the engine.

And finally, a photo to prove that the filters are asymmetric... compare the slanted edges at each side.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PantherEngine1.gif
Views:	208
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	1377   Click image for larger version

Name:	PantherEngine2.gif
Views:	191
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	1378   Click image for larger version

Name:	PantherEngine3.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	1379  
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2007, 09:42 AM
vBench

Hi David,

Nice to see you here ...

The toolbox is MIA. From the box photo, I take it that the engine deck panels are not to be removed so this won't bother me too much as it seems to be designed to fill the open holes (grills and hatch). Yet, I will definitely mention it for those that want to do the surgery.

Thanks for the measurements & photo as I can now check for accuracy. Since this is not the review proper, I can do things I normally do not such as post the Verlinden set next to it so you can all decide which is better. I will also see if the Verlinden set fits the Dragon kit and if the Real Models set fits the Tamiya kit. Fun, isn't it?

Regards,

Saúl García
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift

Last edited by sharkmouth; 07-05-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2007, 07:17 PM
vBench

thanks for this Saul