Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 05-29-2007, 07:43 PM
vBench

sPzAbt 502 Tiger 2 Help

I am back from my extended leave at modeling. I had started building Dragon Initial Tiger a while back and it got put to the side. I have decided to try and finish it before starting anything else. I donít have a lot of references that show this Tiger. I have Tigers in Combat I, Tiger I on the Eastern Front and Frontline Illustrationís Tanks in Detail 02 Initial Production Tiger I (Russian) at least that is what I am told the title said. I am looking for any rear shots I hope exists that anyone might have or and insight into the items circled in red on the drawings as I am not sure if they are correct. I do know the lights are wrong and have been omited. But the jack block and crank handle I am not sure of. Also the number looks to be black? Thanks for any help.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2007, 04:51 AM
Brokeneagle

Mike,
if you refer back to TIC 1 [hardback] you should find that this vehicle is an upgraded 111 that has been re-numbered to 2 when 502 re-numbered in early 43.The numbers were solid black according to schnieder. The photo looks to be in the spring, a couple of months after winter as it has also picked up a production style turret bin. There is also the metal plate on the front glacis which is also found on 111 in late 42. There is a rear shot in the hard back of 111 [see my vbench on 111].
Old 05-30-2007, 05:49 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeneagle View Post
Mike,
if you refer back to TIC 1 [hardback] you should find that this vehicle is an upgraded 111 that has been re-numbered to 2 when 502 re-numbered in early 43.The numbers were solid black according to schnieder. The photo looks to be in the spring, a couple of months after winter as it has also picked up a production style turret bin. There is also the metal plate on the front glacis which is also found on 111 in late 42. There is a rear shot in the hard back of 111 [see my vbench on 111].
Ian thanks a lot. I only have the softcover TIC 1. I new they had been renumber and though I had read somewere the numbers were black but had been a year ago so thanks for confermation on that. Well check out your thread for the picture.

Edit:
I have seen and even think it is in one of my books. Some how I missed of or forgot it was the one I was looking for. Oh by the way Nice build. I see one thin on yours I missed. Again thanks.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
Douglas Adams

Last edited by mnickolson; 05-30-2007 at 06:38 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2007, 07:47 AM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Hey Mike,

Good to see you back. This should be a nice build.

Larry

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2007, 12:10 PM
vBench

Hey Larry,

Nice to be modelling agian . I am like 80% finished with it but still have to fix a few things now that I have a better clue of what and I will post some shots later today.

Mike

Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2007, 09:24 AM

Hate to say it, but that does not look like a standard turret bin to me. It seems too wide - it overlaps the pistol port. And I think a standard bin would be issued with the normal supports to hold it above and below. This one has some jerry-rigged strips on the side.

David
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2007, 06:11 PM
vBench

Hi Mike,

I,m also building this one , but as the earlier Initial #111 and construction has taken a year now and its still not finished

I think this Tiger had the following mods:
Front- No tools or jack block. Lights were detachable so you can place them at will. The pics I've seen show it without the lights.
Back- The red circle shows the jackhandle in a mounting. The jack was mounted on that side. The top spade holder was mounted flush on the hull and the shape was different then what dragon gives you (i didnt bother to change it an glued #MD18 in that place). Its not a hammer but an ax next to the spade. It sometimes looks like a hammer is there, but I have a pic that clearly shows an ax. Part G27 should not be used (mounting plate cold weather starter?)
Turret- use part C6 only for a tank on the move. I dont think this cap was used in combat. The crew would choke after a few shots.
The loaders pistol port should be mounted identical to the commanders port and not be mirrored. The dragon instructions for this are only correct for Tiger #100.

More:
5 cleaning rod on hull top, not sure a fire extinguisher was there (I left mine off)
The hull of 111 carried different turrets (its believed 502 swaped turrets on there Tigers to keep tanks in action) and numbers (111-2-5-?).
Turrets 2 and 5 had escape hatches. For a period "high" exhaust were fitted.

Well this is my interpretation of the different info that is flooting around in books and on the net.

Looking forward to your build of this interesting beast
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Brokeneagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayman View Post
Hi Mike,

I,m also building this one , but as the earlier Initial #111 and construction has taken a year now and its still not finished

I think this Tiger had the following mods:
Excellent info Ray - welcome to PA
Old 06-02-2007, 06:47 AM
vBench

Here is a pic of #111 here you can see the ax and holder.

I think this is hull #111 with turret 2 or 5

Ray
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2007, 01:00 PM
vBench

Mike

Thes pictures should help They are taken from Ground Power Special Issue on the Tiger

Ray
Very nice photos Thanks for sharing them

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top