Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 05-14-2007, 04:35 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to sharkmouth Send a message via AIM to sharkmouth Send a message via MSN to sharkmouth Send a message via Yahoo to sharkmouth Send a message via Skype™ to sharkmouth
Italeri AS-42 Sahariana but I want the Metropolitana :(

Hi Guys,

I am waiting to get my hands on this kit.

In the meantime, I began this one. I prefer a Metropolitana with the Breda armament.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sahariana252520001.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	4569\

This is the kit and sprues:

More photos in next post.

Regards,

Last edited by sharkmouth; 09-12-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2007, 04:41 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to sharkmouth Send a message via AIM to sharkmouth Send a message via MSN to sharkmouth Send a message via Yahoo to sharkmouth Send a message via Skype™ to sharkmouth
The resin parts are nicely detailed.

I did notice that the instructions are real vague on the sand channels and many modelers made them wrong. At least, they finished their kits

Step One

End results are raised ribs to aid in traction.

Step two, first fold...

Step three, second fold...

End result (ignore the lint)

Another thing is that the engine mounting pin interferes with the steering linkages that must be glued to the same hole:

I scribed in the located after painting the area black with a permanent marker.

I opened all the vents:

I have already painted the engine and will wire it. The lubricant tank mounts were redone with brass. More photos to follow.

Regards,

Saúl García
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift
It is why it is called The Present!

Last edited by sharkmouth; 09-12-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2007, 06:13 PM
vBench

great start! Looks really cool
Old 05-14-2007, 06:53 PM
vBench

Really great stuff Saul....

Rick

Vbench
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2007, 11:28 PM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Saul,

You're building!!! alright! Nice, I love the Italian stuff.

Laz

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2007, 05:21 AM
vBench

Hi Guys,

Laz, I am ALWAYS building...sadly, it is the finishing that I never seem to reach! While you guys get the latest releases, drool, and work on it until completed, I get the latest release, drool, then write a review (a requirement). I start the kit until the doorbell rings and ANOTHER review sample arrives. Same process... open package, drool, write review, start building, doorbell rings...

However, this is a pet project. While I wait for the Metropolitana, I was thinking what I should do with this one. Captured vehicles interest me a bit so I found out that the Free French had one or two.

The tires in the kit are vinyl. So I ordered a replacement from R & J. They did not take my money so a review will appear on Track-Link. ;-) Here are the photos I took of the set. Judge for yourselves if you would need it for your kit:

Good detail but a scar form the casting block must be positioned low. The spare tire, upper left corner, should have been cast flat to eliminate this scar. R&J will consider making a new mold for this when the original molds wears out. As it is, the scar is barely seen when put into the Sahariana's spare tire recess. However, 'barely seen' does not equal 'not seen.'

Kit items on top and the resin samples below:

Compared to the kit's tires, the depth difference is there. The kit wheels are based on the deeper rims of their armored car and the resin set puts the wheels out further (increased wheel span between left and right tires) by decreasing this depth. I need to find my references to know if this is correct. However, the Metropolitana DID use the larger tires of the armored car so I am inclined to believe it is correct.

Regards,

Saúl García
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift
It is why it is called The Present!

Last edited by sharkmouth; 09-12-2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: fixed the photo order...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2007, 07:53 AM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Hey Saul,

That's cool, I'm always fiddling with something, but this Panther tha t never gets finished is keeping me from moving on, and I have some very neat things planned. Also, I have way too many other interests. If only I can get some serious modelling time for a couple of weekends. Thanks for reviewing!

Laz

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2007, 08:09 AM
vBench

Good stuff Saul...I imagine it's tough to have your hobby and your review job in constant conflict. I talked to Adam Wilder about the job/hobby thing last year, and at that time the job was making him more enthusiastic about the hobby and he was finding the time to build....there's a balance in there somewhere.

take care,
Rick

Vbench
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2007, 12:10 PM
vBench

Saul

Nice start on this kit Looking forward to see you work your magic on it.

Those wheels from R&J look nice, I might just order a set for my AB41.

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2007, 12:53 PM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to David Diaz
Nice start Saul.

I think the Sahariana is an excellent choice. I find it one of the most interesting vehicles of WWII. So I will be looking forward to new updates.

Dave

SCOUTS OUT!

"To know, that is Wisdom.
To use it, is the Art."

- Clive Barker

http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=173
(Click to visit my v-Bench)
Reply With Quote top