Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 04-22-2007, 10:31 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to sharkmouth Send a message via AIM to sharkmouth Send a message via MSN to sharkmouth Send a message via Yahoo to sharkmouth Send a message via Skype™ to sharkmouth
Trumpeter's Dicker Max - Yawn...

Well I got this in for review:
Click image for larger version

Name:	DM-Box.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	4570

Lots of pin marks, flash, and some errors makes me think that they rushed it to beat Dragon. Sadly, the Dragon kit also suffers from fit problems so it is a toss up. Only happy error is Sprue L which I am stealing away for a Panzer IV. It is the wrong transmission for this beast, but it does foretell of a turreted Panzer IV with full interior.

The engineering is such that, as an example, once you attach the air exhaust scoop on the outside rear hull wall, the tabs used to position it are in plain view from the inside. These are adjacent to nice details which will be obliterated as you try to fill in and sand the tabs, pin marks, and replaced parts. For a new kit, many of the newly tooled parts have flash which interferes with what could have been very good fit.

I built enough to be able to write a review and will divide the parts up for other kits. By adding a tarp over the fighting compartment, a lot of the work filling and sanding to eliminate pin marks is avoided.

So, one can concentrate on the external details and corrections (such as the hinges for the fuel ports which are more visible in the end than the bogus belly pan details. Oh well...

Regards,

Saúl García
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift
It is why it is called The Present!

Last edited by sharkmouth; 09-12-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2007, 11:36 PM
vBench

Thanks for your sharing the sprues pics...Saul

I'm felt disappoint on the Trumpeter "Dicker Max" also...after seeing your sprue pictures... it's soft details, parts line mis-matched, a lot of flash, oversize/poor look weld line...etc. I expected they will better than DML, or kept the quality as their KV series...and they have Mr. Lam (The On-Track owner) to help for this project too...however...it is another story...

So, I will pass it and start to building the DML's one soon...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2007, 08:49 PM
vBench

Thanks for the sprue shots. It's really too bad about the quality of these two kits, I was really looking forward to a good Dicker Max.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:22 PM
vBench

Thats sad to hear. Although I wasn't going to get one I know there were alot of folks waiting for this. Oh well...NEXT!!!

Roy
Old 04-24-2007, 12:13 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to sharkmouth Send a message via AIM to sharkmouth Send a message via MSN to sharkmouth Send a message via Yahoo to sharkmouth Send a message via Skype™ to sharkmouth
Hi Guys,

Glad to help you all save money.

Regards,

Saúl García
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift

Last edited by sharkmouth; 04-25-2007 at 08:54 AM. Reason: wod choice
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2007, 05:07 PM
vBench

To build a better representation form the Trumpeter kit, I start with the belly pan.

This is for those who enjoy torture, aka 'Old School Modeling' (David, are you watching?)...

Original parts

All access ports removed

Filled and first coat of putty

Regards,

Saúl García
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift

Last edited by sharkmouth; 09-12-2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: photo order correction
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2007, 08:55 PM
vBench

Send a message via MSN to Driver
Way to go Saul!

'Old School Modeling' may be torture but, do you know something more rewarding than that?

Cheers
Ruben

"A model is a terrible thing to waste!"
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2007, 09:09 PM
vBench

Since I suffer from ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder), I usually pick a kit for which I could not care less to practice this torture.

I have already given it a second coat of filler, thin cyanoacrylate cement this time, and sanded it. Now, I am preparing a template to scribe in the final drive access hatches. I am using the 'original' Dragon PanzerKampfWagen IV Ausf E release as a guide and to steal the nuts which I can use for the tunnel mounts. Photos are coming.

My plan is to work on the outside. The interior will be covered under a tarp. That is, if I get that far.

I also did some work on the Metropolitana and need to upload those photos as well.

Ruben, Did you get the package?

Regards,

Saúl García
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift

Last edited by sharkmouth; 05-28-2007 at 07:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2007, 01:27 PM
vBench

Saul

Got to see you start this kit I wouldn't worry too much about the underside though since you are not showing it overturned.

One solution to ADD is to go for a speed build That way you will be able to finish before ADD takes hold.

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2007, 10:49 PM
vBench

Speed builds don't exist for me. As for the belly detail, if I see it, I model it. Since I do not care for the kit, I won't spend money on aftermarket stuff but will upgrade it myself using stuff from the spares box.

As an example, in the previous photos, I had removed the incorrectly shaped fuel port covers. I found some that fit the bill from Dragon's Jagdpanzer IV but the cap side of the hinge is the late type. So, I modified it to take the early type from Dragon's original Ausf E. (yes, the one with all the dimensional errors)

The top of the mudgaurds have tread plate on the inside! This was scraped off.

Looking at the Dragon Ausf. E kit, I decided to use the drive sprockets as the bolt detail is correct but need to modify the details where Dragon slacked off. I will also use the bump stops as they are the correct Ausf E type while the Trumpeter kit provides the Ausf D type.

I glued together the barrel, sanded and polished it. I also filled in several pin marks and other minutiae but my photos came out blurry. I will take more as I progress slowly but surely.

Regards,

Saúl García
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift

Last edited by sharkmouth; 09-12-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Reply With Quote top