Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 02-07-2013, 01:00 PM
vBench

Thanks Alex!

I'd like to take a little poll for anyone following this thread. I started out planning on doing zimmerit on this model, but I'm having second thoughts.

What do you guys think...zim or no zim?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2013, 03:23 PM
vBench

Bronco AB3541 Early Panther track links

I thought I'd take this opportunity to also throw in a little product review (I can relocate it to the reviews forum too Alex, if it so please you ).
I found a set of Bronco track links for my Panther on Ebay for about $13USD, plus shipping. I think the total came to about $18USD, so a pretty reasonable price. This is a budget build after all, but I couldnt use the kit tracks...I might use them at work popping guys on the forehead if they are taking a snooze or something....

Anyway, the kit part number is AB3541. This is my first experience with "workable" track links, and I must say I'm fairly impressed. It comes with 16 sprues of links; 8 left and 8 right, and notes that the tracks are different for each side.

They are made of a tough yet slightly flexible styrene, much like the type Tamiya uses. It's not overly soft, making sanding and trimming a bit difficult as the plastic like to "fuzz" when sanding, and does not carve nicely. Luckily cleanup is minimal as there is little to no flash, and no ejector pin marks to deal with. My main complaint with them is where they are sprued. The trimming must be done in the center pockets where they interlink with the adjacent link, an area that requires a reasonable amount of precise shape so they will fit nicely with the next link.

I would have preferred they were sprued either on the ends of the links, or the top of the teeth. My other complaint is the color of the plastic. It's a nice shade of vomit yellow. Why not cast them in a dark reddish-brown, so that as you chip paint from them you'd have a dark rust-like shade underneath?
They do have nice crisp detail though, and once snapped together are very flexible and workable. They should be easy to position for sagging track, and with a little squirt of mineral oil, I think will perhaps even sag under their own weight like real metal tracks, assuming cleanup has been performed properly. They roll up tightly and lay flat nicely, and fit the roadwheels on the Tamiya kit excellently.

They will be time and somewhat labor intensive to assemble, but I think they'll be well worth the effort in the end. I highly recommend them. I hope someone finds this useful.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2013, 05:55 PM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to chadperkins
i vote for zimmerit... you would be hard pressed to find any evidence of an A like this without it. I believe only the first few examples of A's (which some would consider late D's) were produced without it. IE: they would have still had the the flap mg not the ball mount and again, only a few examples. that said, it's all in fun, if you're not concerned about it, just do what makes you happy....
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2013, 06:37 PM
vBench

zimm!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2013, 09:46 PM
vBench

k guys...I guess it'll get zim! Just as soon as I figure out how the hell to do it!
I spent the afternoon making a more accurate barrel lock. It still may not be a 100% accurate prototype, but it's a lot better than the kit piece.

And after I spent hours making this little sucker, I glued it on off-center! I tried to remove it, but it's so dang fragile, I was worried I'd tear it apart in the process, so I let it be. Still looks pretty good riding up front there, and the off-center part almost looks intentional.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2013, 10:08 PM
vBench

great looking details!

best way would be to buy zimm tool.. but first we need to do some research on zimm patterns on ausf A
this one would be easiest
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2013, 03:10 AM
vBench

Thats alot what I had in mind KuK, as far as a zim pattern. I still havent decided which theater of the war I want to make this from. I love the look of the Afrika Korps machines, but I think thats where I'm going with my Pz. II. As I said I'd like to do a Panther G at some point, and probably go late war with that one, like Battle of the Bulge. Initially I had planned to do a diorama with this and my STZ T-34, but I think I've changed my mind again. Maybe the Italian/Mediteranean campaign?
I worked tonight to scratch a new jack. Again, not an absolute prototype, but close and much better than the kit chunk. I did saw off the oval-ish shaped bulge that the handle attaches to, but thats the only kit part of the 20 individual parts of this.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2013, 05:15 AM
vBench

I wouldn't have painted the chain of the gun lock if i had been you. applying some rust-like drybrushing would have been largely enough IMO, as now the paint has take away the chains texture :/

The Music
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2013, 08:26 AM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to chadperkins
"I still havent decided which theater of the war I want to make this from."

Stay away from afrika. No panthers ever set foot in north africa that I'm aware of. That said, you could do Italian front, normandy, bulge, eastern front.... pretty much anything else with this variant of panther. The production A was seen all over in just about every theater.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2013, 09:58 AM

Exclamation

Oh gawd...

Goodluck with those Bronco tracks. What I found is that I DID have to cement them together as the "snap-in" feature didn't hold up on long runs, the little snubs that lock in are fragile and when snapping in, they might break off.

You'll just end up gluing everything anyway. They are cheap and look good but I eventually have to give them a thumbs done on my experience.

Just an FYI.

~ Jeff
Reply With Quote top