Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Group Builds > Past Group Builds > Sturmgeschuetz Group Build (closed)

Sturmgeschuetz Group Build (closed) StuG III Ausf.G DML Smart Kit - PA Group Build

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 12:52 PM
vBench

In the ML forum, Peter Mueller of History facts gave me some comments.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/thread/1218121368

quote begins:
----------------------------------------------
Hello Wonsung

These sheet metal things in both photographs have nothing to do with the skirts. No idea what function that troop modification had.

The bracket in the 2nd picture (inserted in the upper left spare road wheel) is not a lock holding the spare wheels, but the pad
for lifting road wheels by jack - you will see them often on photographs stored in the spare wheels, when recognised once.

To identify the two pictures correctly:

Upper is a StuH, accepted at Alkett works between March and June 1943 ?if you had a picture from the front, one could tell more precisely.

Lower is a StuG, accepted at Miag works between April and September 1943 ?if had have a picture from the front, one could tell more precisely.

To give a little additional help for the modelling project?br />
Be sure not to mix Assalt Howitzer (manufactured at Alkett works only) and Assault Gun (manufactured at Altkett and Miag works).
Your modelling a Miag chassis at the moment ?see the track guard support brackets are Miag style.

You should turn the fire estinguisher, that it points inside at the rear end (this is Alkett뭩 style)

Be sure to change for the tubular distance indicator ligth (this is Alkett뭩 style). Alkett took the old one until Febrary 1943, then the tubular type.

The base for the spare track link length brackets on the bow was not ex works but would be a troop modification ?
if you have a picture of that vehicle from the front. Alkett didn뭪 do that exept on those Ausf F/8 built on PzKpfw III chassis.

Regards from Switzerland
Peter
--------------------------------------------
end of quote.

So I understand I should make StuH manufactured by Alkett.

I could not correct the track guard support bracket at this moment. Too late.
I did turn the fire extinguisher again which now points inside at the rear end. (not photographed yet)

I'm not sure what the "tubular distance indicator ligth" is. Is it the barrel cleaning rod?

I'm also not sure what the "base for the spare track link length brackets on the bow" is.
If that means brown something under the front towing hold, then its on the real vehicle.

Last edited by Wonsug Jung; 08-17-2008 at 02:33 AM.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:07 PM
vBench

The sprocket wheel has ugly gap between two parts.

So I filled the gap with duro putty.

I installed my jack brackets on the track guard. looks nice!

One spare wheel is borrowed from Revell StuG kit and I carved the rubber rim out for some variety.

... and added Notek light bracket and some bolts.

Now it's painting time!
Old 08-17-2008, 01:29 AM
vBench

I painted the engine room with red oxide primer color I mixed. The color is not very satisfactory, though.

I mixed the paint too much that I airbrushed the inside of roadwheels with the primer, too. But it will never be seen after assembly.

The dark yellow is a mixture of Gaianotes Dunkelgelb and GSI Creos Tan lacquers.
My airbrush technique is miserable so I picked up a brush and painted olive green camouflage with Tamiya Fieldgray enamel.
After rough brushing I can correct the camo more precisely with a brush soaked with enamel thinner.
The camouflage pattern is largely indebted to the StuG III in Armor Models magazine No.14.

Last edited by Wonsug Jung; 08-17-2008 at 02:30 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:02 AM
vBench

Great to see it in paint...keep it up
Old 08-17-2008, 02:29 AM
vBench

For the braille scale competition I had to hurry in the finishing.
My Jack brackets did not endure the attack of enamel thinner for washing very well and were destroyed, but I had no time to make them again.
The base was especially made in an extreme hurry and I'll take care of them later.

Also the pics are not satisfactory either. Too much exposure and not very well focused.

Pin washing and filtering made with Winton Raw Umber oils. Chipping with Winton Raw Umber again and then some Tamiya Buff enamel and Mig pigments.

In the pics the dark yellow looks like yellow but in reality it's more dark and brownish. I should have gone with much lighter base color or should not use Raw Umber for filtering.

For the camouflage branch, I used foliage from MiniNatur.
It was rather sticky and I had hard time placing them on the vehicle because it adhered to forceps and won't stick to the StuH.

Here are my StuH about 70% finished.
I entitled it "Der Sturm ließ ab, und ward eine Stille." which translates "The storm ceased, and there was a calm. (Luke 8:24)"

You can see the wonderful works by other braillers here.

http://www.braillescalecomp.com/default.html

Regards,

Wonsug Jung

Last edited by Wonsug Jung; 08-17-2008 at 02:37 AM.
Users like Wonsug Jung's post!
Old 08-17-2008, 06:48 PM
vBench

Very nice and in 1/72 as well, I can't get it together in 1/35 and you do this .
Well done

Life's so very funny, you just need to remember to laugh [note to the clowns].

Why would the clowns not let people into the tent? What's the point of the show if they don't? .
Old 08-17-2008, 10:08 PM
vBench

Congratulation...nice finished model!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 06:44 AM
vBench

Good work Wonsug. I think you did a superb job on the build and paintwork. No easy task especially a K.O. vehicle in 1/72!

First person to complete for the group build? Congratulations.

Julian
Old 08-18-2008, 11:41 AM
vBench

Thanks Flak, Coop, Julian
I took some more pics with better focus.

Last edited by Wonsug Jung; 08-18-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:44 AM
vBench

Closed Thread