Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 02-27-2013, 05:44 PM
vBench

What a great job you did on this one, Chad, great details.
One thing on the figure: I read that panzer crews didn't wear their gun in the vehicle because they could get stuck when they had to get out in an emergency

Eddy
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2013, 06:00 PM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to chadperkins
thanks for the comments guys.....

funny you should mention that about the figure. i wondered whether he was even going to fit into the cupola around the hatch with it on as it makes it quite snug so i could see how that might sometimes be a problem in real life. he's molded kinda flat behind it though so i'll likely leave it on there. we'll see how it goes. this guy is really nicely done though. i've not bought any alpine figures until this one and i'm very impressed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2013, 03:09 AM

Thumbs up

Looking good!

~ Jeff
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2013, 12:04 PM
vBench

Really gorgeous Chad....how the hell did you get those PE wingnuts on?! Wish my eyes were still good enough to do that stuff....
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2013, 12:42 PM
vBench

get a magnifying glass..... i keep one handy at the bench while working. even if i don't need it to put a tiny part on it's sometimes hard to see what's going on with PE until it's painted unless you take a really close up look at it after gluing it in place. i keep a flashlight handy also to help find the bits that fall on the floor. that's the most frustrating part of working with PE. All of the stuff you lose i've had to scratch build many a small piece from the spares bin thanks to dropping them in the rug....
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2013, 03:32 PM
vBench

Yeah, I have a couple I use...even so, I just dont have the vision or dexterity anymore. I used to ...I can remember scratchbuilding 1/24 scale spark plug wire seperators from plastic strip, and the buggers were tiny...pretty close to scale...I think I used a #78 drill bit, and sanded them into shape...the thought of doing that again gives me a headache! Maybe it'll come back if I can keep my modeling streak alive this time. I do miss my old desk lamp that had a magnifying glass on it. I too hate dropping tiny pieces...I've even thought of rigging up one of those goofy aprons they sell in MicroMark, but my wife would never let me hear the end of it!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2013, 04:42 PM
vBench

so as i mentioned earlier, i was considering doing some more work on the rear on this tank. particularly, i have never been satisfied with the exhaust that i had made. the idea was good and did allow for some damage and realism but the execution was lacking. the "wrap" made them look too big and i just couldn't get past it after thinking on it for a few weeks. anyway, long and the short of it, i tore them off. managed to only brake off the jack, convoy light, starter ring and the driver's visor while removing them but it could have been worse.

so this is what we had before.

like i said, it wasn't a bad idea in theory but the wrap on the unmodified kit part was just too thick and the bolts made on the punch were way overscale. this is look that we're after:

the wrap around the inner components is just thin sheetmetal and mine would have been like 2 inches thick in scale based on their appearance and the kit part out of the box is not much better in terms of scale. in addition, there is a clear inner construction with an outer shell so there should be a visible seam around the lip which is welcome news because that makes the task easier.

i took them off with the help of some acetone and some nervous prodding from inside the hull. broke the solder joints and took the kit parts out of the tubing to get to work. Cut them down with the xacto and then filed them down until the outer ring around the fins was essentially gone. then resized my brass sheeting by cutting out small sections until it was sized properly and re-wrapped them as per the example above. used the smallest PE bolts i could find from the spare bin to put on the hood bolts. i think the scale appearance and accuracy of this new version is much improved from the original attempt. as in lots of things, if at first you don't succeed, try it again disregard the remants of the black test spray....

have some other things to tweak or clean up a bit more and that should do it. i like to let them sit for a few days and come back to it a few times to be sure i've not overlooked anything or if there is something like this that i am not happy with. anyway, that's all for now. thanks for looking.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2013, 06:13 PM

Looking really nice...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 07:59 PM
vBench

small update. after more deliberation, i decided to swap out the rear stowage bin for an aber item i had in the spares box to show it with an open top. only going to have one so i thought it made it more interesting to look at. not sure yet what i'm going to put in there but again, it's just something else to try to breath a little extra life into it. will probably have a tarp or blanket or something hanging out and maybe a shovel handle or something sticking up. open to suggestions on that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 08:30 PM
vBench

i like that blanket idea.. =) great work there, i admire it
Reply With Quote top