Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 04-14-2009, 11:11 AM
vBench

Tristar German Flak Panzer I Ausf.A

The boxart- wish I could watch this guy in action to steal some of his techniques- I wonder how much time they get!

So my love affair with the Panzer I continues- this time I decided to crack the Tristar Panzer IA open, that details a variant incorporating a 2cm Flak 38 gun with a Panzer I/A chassis.
It uses the vintage and now OOP #35003, #35008 Panzer I/A kits as well as the discontinued FlaK38 kit, #35010.
While I was thinking of getting some aftermarket brass for this one I have been on a build out of the box kick for a bit and don't see why I should stop now- my philosophy to build a kit OOTB and see how it goes, learn the lay of the land and then maybe somewhere done the line do one with all the bells and whistles. Like this set from Voyager- albeit for the DML one.

I really liked the Tristar take on Panzer I's - while Dragon's are in a way easier to build I think the Tristar ones have a more accurate look when it comes to the subtler details.

An online review is HERE
The first Step, a pleasant change from the usual dogma of road wheels road wheels and more road wheels, is about getting the Flak gun together
Some of the major parts

One thing that I will upgrade will be the gun barrel as I have several sitting around, and I better use them!

from the above I decided to use the least attractive first on this essentially OOTB so at least it'll get used and not just be a total waste of money
According to Terry Ashley at PMMS the Aber is pretty good but having a flaw in being a bit too long, making it, out of the ones I have, perhaps the best candidate for this upgrade. It will take more work because I have to make the barrel cone myself but I like a challenge, (sometimes)
Here is the brass barrel next to the Tristar version.

Here I've managed in one go to get the cone right and soldered in place.
I only count seven large holes and I think there is meant to be 8? Oh well the only one's that will know it are you and me... Somehow this was left out of Terry's review. The fit is kinda weird for the larger holes- it doesn't quite line up right , but given what I have to work with I think I got the best result possible- Whoo ho! I didn't bother with the removal of the 2mm length of the barrel, I just felt the chances for it f-ing up compared to how it looks the way it is precluded me from feeling the necessity to risk it.

Here it is glued in place, after some major surgery on the original plastic part!, looking fairly nice if I do say so myself.

The Tristar parts fit together very well and the engineering is really top notch-

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP

Last edited by James Tainton; 04-14-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2009, 11:17 AM
vBench

looking good james keep those pics comming,thanks for sharing
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2009, 11:53 AM
vBench

James,

Great job. Very tidy on the soldering of the cone, as I can't even see where the seam might be!

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2009, 12:11 PM
panamadan

James, I am also a big fan of the PZ IA and will be watching your build to compare it to my Dragon flakpanzer IA (still in the box).
Dan
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2009, 01:18 PM
vBench

I like that gun... It looks way cooler than any other 20mm!
it looks veeery nice!

The Music
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2009, 06:17 PM
vBench

Hi James,

It is great to see this project. I love your way of describing the subject and that great attention to details and their accuracy.
I do have the same kit and watching you builidng this tiny panzer will be a great pleasure, inspiration and source of knowledge.

Good luck!

Kuba
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2009, 07:02 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to sharkmouth Send a message via AIM to sharkmouth Send a message via MSN to sharkmouth Send a message via Yahoo to sharkmouth Send a message via Skype™ to sharkmouth
Nice job on the barrel, I needed that second try and was ever so grateful Aber included it! There are six vent slots on this one. Five long and one short (two short are there but they are supposed to overlap). As for the length, I cut off the thick receiver section and drilled the plastic receiver to take up the barrel exposing the correct length. Yours looks much better. Regards, Saśl
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2009, 07:49 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkmouth View Post
Nice job on the barrel, I needed that second try and was ever so grateful Aber included it! There are six vent slots on this one. Five long and one short (two short are there but they are supposed to overlap). As for the length, I cut off the thick receiver section and drilled the plastic receiver to take up the barrel exposing the correct length. Yours looks much better. Regards, Saśl
Thanks for the comments Saul.
Oh well live and learn
As for the over lap it did come into my brain, from having experience with these types of things before, that there may have to be an overlap regarding the small hole. But it didn't seem to fit over the end of the brass barrel- it was tight to the circumference the way it is.
I think perhaps, the recessed area that would be for the overlap does not extend into the center enough on the Aber part. For proper alignment it seems to me that it needs to be over a millimeter or so to the left (in this pic)

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP

Last edited by James Tainton; 04-14-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2009, 08:10 PM
vBench

Send a message via MSN to solorow
Hi James, THX for sharing.

I guess you just falling in love with panzer I series
HAHA~~ me too.

I think the ABER's fender for TRI is more fit than Voyage's for DML.

Can't wait to see your next post.

regard
Solo
Old 04-14-2009, 09:03 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to sharkmouth Send a message via AIM to sharkmouth Send a message via MSN to sharkmouth Send a message via Yahoo to sharkmouth Send a message via Skype™ to sharkmouth
Thanks James for the photo, you have shown me why my flash suppressor still looks so bad! I may be silent, but I'm watching. Regards, Saśl
Reply With Quote top