Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 09-21-2010, 08:37 AM
vBench

Great work always...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2010, 09:52 AM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to chadperkins
still can't bring myself to sand all those wheels so i skipped around a bit. i did finish up the shurtzen plates on the other side however so the only thing i need to do to get it on the tracks is clean up the wheels. hull still needs the cables put on and the extra track armor then it's pretty much done. but again, putting that off...... so instead of that i started work on the turret bits. there really isn't much to the turret now that i really started looking at it. i put on some of the larger parts to get started and then went to work on the bin. the kit one is pretty nice with two exceptions. first, the hinges are just plastic blocks which is not the greatest in terms of appearance and then second and more importantly to my eye, the front portion of the bin top should be flush with the top of the bin as it is rivetted on from the sides as shown.
the kit part mounts on top and sticks up pretty far so the pe was worth doing in my opinion even if not all that noticeable of a difference. since it's pe, couldn't help but bent it up just a touch and break the latch on one side

i went with the kit brackets to attach the bin instead of the pe for one very important reason. i'm terrified of the shurtzen not lining up correctly and i couldn't take the chance that i might put the bin to close or to far away from the turret. at least this way i know that i've got a perfect foundation for them so if there is somthing wrong, it's in the schurzen, not somewhere else. they are slightly oversized but within reasonable tolerances so i'm good with it.

once i had the bin taken care of, i decided to start work on the dreaded turret shurtzen. first step was the bracketry which must be as close to perfect as possible if i'm to have any hope of these things fitting correctly. fortunately, they are pretty well made and easy to assemble. the parts have grooves for the plates to sit in so you can't really mess this part up. all the parts are soldered together for strength and i only had to solder a couple spots on each bracket to sure them up. again, well made and went together without a hitch.

it's worth noting that these are not the brackets that come with the griffon set since it's really made for a later H. i had to buy this update set separately to get the correct early style brackets. it's a shame because now i have a full set of late brackets and shurtzen that i won't use...... the additional set is also made by griffon model.

next up was the zimmerit. i decided it would be best to apply this before i bent and attached any of this. this patters is hard to do unless the surface is lying flat so i stuck the parts down on some two sided tape and just went down the line.

the next part will be the test to see if after i've soldered the plates onto the brackets, i can get any of it to line up properly. as always, look forward to your comments and critiques. please let me know if you see any inaccuracies so i can correct
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2010, 04:16 PM
vBench

Very Very nice building there CP.

Tony the Mutt
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2010, 08:08 PM
vBench

...perfect job,Chad...no critiques...the zimm looks astonishing and the turret bin is very cool!

...following with a big interest because I'm doing a Pz IV nearly like yours...

Best!

Luiz from the Antarctic Continent...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2010, 10:21 PM
vBench

thanks man, when are we going to get a look at yours.....?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Brokeneagle

Nice work- stacks of PE.

Ian.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:58 AM
vBench

last couple days i've been ready to turn it into a "stack" of wrecked pe...... think i've finally gotten the turret schurtzen to do as it's told however, just need to get some of the smaller bits on there (bolts and what not) and i'll have another update for you guys. anyone who has done turret pe before should be qualified to perform brain surgery.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2010, 09:58 AM
vBench

Hi Stan.
One solution I thought of as handy was to use cello tape to fix the Schürzen (without the brackets of course) as a whole and then gently put them on the brackets on the turret ... it came out quite good with little efforts.
Of course one has to avaoid the shaky hands ...
I'm afraid this is not possible once the Zimmerit is on the Schürzen ...
Old 09-28-2010, 11:03 AM
vBench

i soldered the brackets to the plates so not sure i could have done it that way...... anwya, i've managed it after much effort. thought it would be much easier to zimmerit a flat surface instead of after attaching them first. i experimented with the zig zag zimmerit pattern and just couldn't get it to do right unless i could really steady my hand and do it on a flat surface and i didn't want to have to press on the plates once glued into place for fear of breaking the parts loose or tearing up the hinges. think this was the right approach in my case but it would have been a pretty difficult job any way you go about it i think.

incidently gibson/fndr...... , which do you prefer, gibson or fender? I have a les paul classic and an american deluxe hss strat. i prefer the gibson, better action, smaller/shorter neck (i have the 60's neck) but it's nice to have one of each both american classics. strat comes in handy when i'm in the mood to play some floyd.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2010, 12:20 PM
vBench

Ouch ... a complicated question indeed.
I do have 3 Les Pauls (one standard and two juniors) and one firebird versus one US standard strat and my 66 custom telecaster ... depending on the feeling of the day I prefer the strat or one gibson ... no rule in fact. I'd say the Strat is the easyest to play in any given situation ...