Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 01-01-2011, 07:56 AM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to canjuaan
WOW WOW WOW!

You totally nailed it with the camo

Very impressive.

Johannes
Old 01-01-2011, 08:22 AM
vBench

Looks nice. Good camo painting job
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2011, 10:34 AM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to chadperkins
well simi-disaster has struck.... the clear for the decals came out WAY too thick to the point where it almost completely smoothed out the zimmerit in those areas . anyway, had to strip the damn thing back to primer and have since gotten another base coat down and will re-camo AGAIN probably this weekend. will post some pics of round 2 when available. aggravating for sure but it wasn't right and i've got too much time already in this to just let it be messed up......
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2011, 11:44 AM
vBench

Oh ... too bad.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:01 PM
vBench

Ok bear with me........ after the last debacle with the clear coating I finally got the model stripped and base coated with masked and hand painted modulation again. I put it aside for a week or two and really thought about what I wanted it to look like. After thinking on it, I actually was glad that it got messed up as I felt like I had a second chance to get it right. Now some of you guys may think I'm crazy for painting it like this but after I looked back at my references and really thought about it, it just made sense to do it this way whether it's the sexy scheme or not since it's the most accurate for this vehicle. I tried my best to build it as accurately as possible and it just didn't make sense to then just make up the camo scheme and not try my best to make it look as accurately as possible as well. So, on I went.

After painting it and putting the decals on, I am starting to dig it. It's kinda "ugly" but in a realistic kinda way and I think it will weather up and blend and look more like it should than it would have with that generic camo I was going to do before. Anyway, I based coated it just like before and went in with the same mixes of red and green. After that, I put on some tamiya clear where the decals were to go and put them on using solvaset in multiple applications. They laid right down with no silvering so I was quite pleased. Put on some vallejo satin varnish over the top of them and then a light misting with some dark yellow/white mix just to tone it down slightly. Weathering will make it blend better so I didn't want to go overboard and make them look too "painted over". I put on a bit of dust around the bottom of the hull and shurtzen again trying not to go too far with this since weathering hasn't even started yet. Decals are from Echelon set just like before. So without further delay, here she is as of today.......

That's just some debris there coming off the bottom of the shield not a stain.....

My plan is to go ahead and put on some filters to further blend the base coating before I go forward with a gloss coat for washes and oil fading, etc.... I would really love to hear what you guys think about it as it was a tough decision to just go for it and paint it like this. It's a bit of a risky proposition but it could look really cool in the end so I think it was the right move but a little reassurance never hurt anyone
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2011, 03:08 AM
vBench

wow, great work, I realy like it.
Peter
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2011, 05:21 PM
vBench

Great decision with the camo! It may seem weird or unusual, but I think you were right to try to make it as authentic as possible. On top of that I think you've executed it very well!
Can't wait to see how it progresses!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2011, 07:18 PM
vBench

thanks for the encouragement guys, i wrestled with this for a few weeks before deciding to go for it. if i can pull off the weathering it should look cool.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2011, 04:53 AM
vBench

Well it looks fine from here... Looks to be a winner! Wouldn't be to worried about what others think. If your happy with it... then that's all that should matter.

Be proud of it! The wheathering should really knock our socks off next!

Eric
Old 02-08-2011, 06:09 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Grim View Post
If your happy with it... then that's all that should matter.
The only thing that matters.
I think this is an excellent and clean job. I like the camo as well.
I follow the job!

Oscar EbrÝ
Reply With Quote top