Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 12-23-2007, 07:37 AM
vBench

I'm looking forward to seeing your build...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2007, 07:43 AM
vBench

Oh yes Ian a SBS would be just fine by me!
Old 12-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Vbench

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeneagle View Post
. . . Also can any body help me out with interior colors?
You mean paint brands or per prototype?

AFAIK, as a rule the innards are primer red, with the crew compartment largely in ivory. The floor is grey-green, as is the transmission compartment ahead of the driver. The colour division usually lines up with the back of the glacis plate. On some types, there is also a division between the grey-green and ivory above the floor, parallel with the bottom of the turret basket. Seats are black leather, and installed equipment (periscopes, motors, comm gear and other what-not) are gloss black.

This is a very general description, but may be a useful starting point.

As for paint brands, I use Humbrol and mix my own. Someone else may be able to point you at off-the-shelf colours.

Cheers
Scott Fraser
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2007, 11:51 AM
vBench

Quote:
I thought that it was built just recently as a Russian front version but I can't remember who.
Don't listen to that idiot above, he thought it was Rick Lawler and I just checked his Vbench and It wasn't.
As has been noted, Manuel did the PzII, I did the companion PzIII.

Back to task, yep Ian I must agree with the others, take lots of pics of the proceess....as James said "its how I learn". Your thread will be on my Must Read list...looking forward to it.

rick

Vbench
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2007, 03:03 PM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to David Diaz
Hi Ian,

It’s wonderful to see a new built from you and to top it you chose an excellent model.

This site has some useful information about interior colors.

http://byrden.com/panzers/Colours/index.html

Dave

SCOUTS OUT!

"To know, that is Wisdom.
To use it, is the Art."

- Clive Barker

http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=173
(Click to visit my v-Bench)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2007, 04:27 PM
vBench

I agree with the others, I want to see pics of every bit you glue together!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2007, 07:25 PM
Brokeneagle

I've started.......my God I do build models

well now that shock is over here is were it's at.....
Thanks for the links and info guys.
The sprues were all joined together with different letters attached to others as well as double ups for suspension stuff. I hate trying to find the right sprue so I separated them and placed the double sprues for the suspension in order in the box lid - much easier for me anyway.
I must be getting old I think because initially I found the instructions for chassis/suspension hard to follow but it finally cleared and I went ahead with the suspension arms for the rear which are separate to all the others .

DML give you a choice of two but according to FLAK's build the more detailed one , E2, is the one used on the Pz2 while the other is for the Marder.

The rear wheels have 3 different choices and as I don't have any reference, I just picked the pattern I liked the most.

Next up was the diff gear housings and DML have followed the old Gunze series by supplying nuts on the sprue (which I quite Like).

It's always a pain to pick up the nut once cut, so I thought I would pass on my method.

The tension effect of the liquid and glue allow the pick up but the steel is not as attractive as the plastic housing - just make sure you have the nut picked up on the knife at the 'pointy' end of the nut.

I attached the housings next and did not seem to have as great a gap as some other builds I have seen. Have they improved or am I just Lucky? I filled it with Tamiya putty later.

Last edited by brokeneagle; 12-25-2007 at 01:46 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Brokeneagle

Thumbs up suspension etc.

Next up suspension.

Watch the end cap as it is a bit fiddly. There were two different ones - one had a small tooth wich just seemed to make it harder - so I filed these off and treated them all the same. Nice texture on the ends. I used the tweezers to line it up.
I still need to do a bit more cleaning up on these parts.
I did the other eight sets and hated every minute of it. Nothing artistic about suspension arms. I said I wouldn't , but I might just add a touch more detail to those leaf spring assemblies as they will be very visable on the side .
ENJOY FILING THOSE MOULD LINES ON THE LEAF SPRINGS WONT YA.

Next was the wheels and I must say i love wheels because they are easy to file and if they have hard rubber surrounds you get to be creative. I have attached a nice ref pic from Flak's build that shows the seams still on the tires, so you don't need to take them off completely-just soften them up a bit.

I softened my seams off a bit and then gave them a work over to simulate a well used vehicle that has been operating in Rocky and course dry terrain for a number of months.

The spare I obviously left alone and will clean-up later.
These are magnified so remember the damage does not look as harsh when looked at in normal scale. I also had a try at taking off the L on CONTINENTAU but will need to go back over a few for a second pass now that I have viewed the shots.
I have found the Super macro on my camera to be one of the best checks on construction as when I go back and view the close ups I always spot stuff that I missed or just need to do better.

Ok, thats all the wheels done . I will now do some work on texturing the front plate.

I added some scratches to the frontal armor as well as some small arms hits. These will get some light sanding - I added these as i figured that some of the dips and holes that the DAK forces had to cross in the desert would have had some impact on the lower frontal plates.
I have added the rear plate and finished off the suspension. The shot below just shows where I am up to and the tools used so far. To distinguish the two scapels I add a red band to the sharp new bladed one and leave the one I used for glue and such plain. I keep a lot of my old blades just for this role and throw them once they are full of glue.
I have to go for Xmas dinner so happy Xmas to all and I will see you again soon.

Last edited by brokeneagle; 01-05-2008 at 02:32 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2007, 11:28 PM
vBench

Nice start...Ian Keep it up
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2007, 05:21 AM
vBench

Send a message via Skype™ to AfRiKaKoRpS
Very nice start Ian. Pleasure to watch DAK piece of armor beeing build. Merry X-mas by the way !!!

Chris

.................................................. ......

StuG III Ausf.G DML Smart Kit - Dec 1942 Production Initial StuG III G - Russia 1942/43 - PA Group Build
StuG IV DML Smart Kit - 2. Kompanie Panzerjäger-Abteilung Brandenburg /1. Jäger-Rgt. "Brandenburg" - Poland 1945

.................................................. ......
Reply With Quote top