Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Tweak Guides - Tips & Trix

Tweak Guides - Tips & Trix Collaborate on kit improvements

Old 02-09-2011, 12:30 PM
vBench

Thumbs up Making Workable Hinges - Griffon Style

Files from the Panzer Shoppe
How to make Workable Hinges

Just the notion of this makes even the best modeler cringe. I’ll show you an easy way to meld these little pieces of P.E. into a workable application on your next model in 1/35th scale. It’s a way to bring even more realism to your Static model.

I’ll will be using Griffon Models hinges for 1/35th scale. A set from their German Gun Shields(L35A054) kit for Dragon’s Flakvierling.

Step 1:
After you separate the two pieces of the hinge from the fret, the first thing I do is to put a 90 degree bend on the “fingers” of each one in My Etch-Mate. This gives you a good starting point & helps to pull against the “hinge pin.”

Step 2:

Next I take the .3mm wire and secure it in Griffon’s Workable Hinge & Handle Maker through the holes appropriate for the sized wire, also I’ll take some blue painter’s tape and secure the wire, after bending it, to the Hinge maker to reduce the risk of the wire moving while I’m making the hinges. I follow by taping the Hinge Maker to the table to give me a sturdy base to work off of. In making these hinges I’ve found that it is easier to put the “two-fingered” hinge under the wire first, then slide the “single-fingered” one under and against the “two-fingered” piece. Also making sure that the wire stays straight & true. Hinges don’t move like they should on a bent pin.

Step 3:

I use a small pair of tweezers to hold the hinge in place while I bend the “fingers” around the wire with a No.11 X-acto blade. Keeping a close eye on bending the “fingers” straight.

Step 4:

I take two small chisel blades and push them together tucking the “fingers” under the wire. I’ll gently rock the blades back & forth to snip off the excess. Again tucking the “fingers under the wire to tighten up the hinges. At this point you want to look & make sure that the “fingers” are tight around the wire & that there are no gaps. If not, repeat the process with the blades until the hinges are snug around the wire.

Step 5:

Now you have your hinges formed it’s time to cut the cord as it were. I’ll use a pair of Xuron P.E. scissors & a chisel blade. Placing the chisel against the opposite side to which I’m cutting, I’ll hold the hinge in place & snip the wire flush with the side of the hinge. Repeating the process for the other side.

Viola! Workable Hinges. All you have to do now is secure them to the armor plate or door that is necessary. Soldiering these would really test your meddle & you stand the chance of flooding the area with soldier, ruining your hard work. Another way that not as risky, but just as strong is to use 5 minute Epoxy. I use the two-part stuff that comes in separate tubes. After mixing the Epoxy together you have a few minutes, so take this time to make sure that the pieces that the hinges are joining are aligned, square, & ready to be glued. I’ll take a sharpened toothpick & dab a very small amount of the Epoxy onto the pieces receiving the hinges.With a pair of tweezers I’ll then place the hinges, making sure they are straight & leave to dry. That's just about it. This process make take a couple of times to get used to. Now take this new found knowledge & make all your hinged accessories workable.

Tools used:

Griffon’s Workable Hinge & Handle Maker
Etch-Make
No.11 X-acto blade & small chisel blades(x2)
Small pair of tweezers
5 minute Epoxy
Opti-visor (strongly urged)

Panzervor
Old 02-09-2011, 12:44 PM
vBench

Interesting and useful. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Roy
Old 02-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Founder

Whoa, that rocks!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:31 AM

Yes,

Excellent tip, technique and photography.
Thank you for all that you have shared with this posting.

my twitter https://twitter.com/#!/alexwence
my 'Attention To Detail' blog: http://scratch-builder.blogspot.com/
Modelers Alliance 'Masters Classes':http://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/alex-de-leon
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2011, 12:51 AM
vBench

Hey Alex,

Thanx for th kind words !! Once ya' do one, You got it & They really are very easy to build !

Last edited by panzervor; 02-12-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2011, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzervor View Post
Hey Alex,

Thanx for th kind words !! One ya' do one, You got it & They really are very easy to build !
"easy to build". I like that aspect.

my twitter https://twitter.com/#!/alexwence
my 'Attention To Detail' blog: http://scratch-builder.blogspot.com/
Modelers Alliance 'Masters Classes':http://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/alex-de-leon
Reply With Quote top