Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 10-05-2010, 01:12 PM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to chadperkins
Ok guys, I think the hull is finished though I'm sure there will be a few additions later on. Keep in mind that this thing is just hanging together and the tracks are on the verge of falling off with none of the running gear glued but it's just for effect. So, without further delay, here she is..........

First, as I mentioned earlier, I added two tow cables. One mounted up on the rear and the other along the side. I used the aber cable after much aggravation and although it's a nice looking item, it's the last one I'll ever use due to the stiffness of it.

I also added the small chain for the towing pin on the back.

and last but not least....... suspension works like a charm.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement to this point and again, feel free to point out any accurace issues. There is one question that I still have. There is a handle that goes on the top of the hull on the left side right where the 3rd from front shurtzen bracket is attached to the hull side. This is not present on the late H and I have no idea whether it should be there or not, any ideas? I either need to add the handle or fill the holes........
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2010, 10:05 PM
panamadan

Looks great Chad. Love the IV's.
Dan
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2010, 10:33 PM
vBench

Hey Chad!...it's just perfect!

Go ahead,my friend...thanks...

luiz.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2010, 01:54 AM
vBench

Wow ! really impressive.
About the towing cable, the rule was that they used two of them. One connected to the from the second to the rear. This way it was esayer for crews to tie the cables from one tank to the other. Of course there are exceptions and you may want to use only one cable or tied them both to the front (or rear for that matter) but I'm not quite sure it'd be connected to both ends like yours is ... do you see what I mean ? I'm not sure I'm 100% clear at the moment ...
Old 10-06-2010, 08:53 AM
vBench

Looks superb...keep it up
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2010, 09:02 AM
vBench

i'm not sure what you're saying...... its' just a pin holding it on so it would seem easy enough to disconnect from either end when you needed to. off course i don't have a pic of the front and back of a vehicle at the same time but many in the concord book have the cable attached to the rear hitch and to the front shackle just can't prove at the same time i suppose.....

can't find a pic online of the rear (pg 25 and pg 28 of the concord book) but if you have book you can see them attached. are you saying that one end would normally just hand loose? doesn't seem like a smart thing to do especially if the front end is attached. if it got hung on something and fell off you could run over it and tear something up. same for the rear, someone else could run over it if you were dragging it. just my two cents but i'm open to suggestion. please elaborate.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2010, 09:56 AM
vBench

it was a rule.
I don't know how to say it in English.
An order ?
When going to the combat zone, one cable tied to the front (the right front as I take it) and the other to the rear (left). Of course we know pics of panzers with both cables tied to the front but then they were not tied to the rear to allow emergency towing.
When you see only one cable tied to a hook, front or rear, then you can bet the second cable is tied too but to the other end of the tank.
What you call "just a pin" is not exactly just a pin and is not that easy to remove specially under ennemy fire.
This way one crewman drops from each tank grabs the cable and runs to tie it to the other tank.
It makes sense does it ?
I tend to see the German army as a bunch of guys who followed the rules.
Now it doesn't mean that no one disobeyed but ...

And of course most of the pics we know weren't taken in real combat condition, under ennemy fire, but very often were either during rest/transportation periods or reconstitution of the battles for the PKK's sake. That's why so many pics do not show any cable tied to the tank.

Of course I's just bringing up one information. Not an order.
LOL.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:36 AM
vBench

it makes sense what you're saying. i wonder if this was only done during combat situations and the cables anchored down on both ends during transit to and from locations..... this is an interesting topic, one that i never knew about before....
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2010, 10:57 AM
vBench

Hi Chad,

Your model looks very interesting! Do you have any kind of photo of the real vehicle you are building? I'm very curious how the actual Pz IV exactly looks like.

Regards,

Notger
DML Jagdpanzer IV L/70(A)

Historyfacts
Pz.Kpfw. IV
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2010, 11:10 AM
vBench

well it's a mish mash of photos really. there are several images of these 4th panzer division vehicles with the ostketten tracks and this zimmerit pattern but this build is not entirely from any specific photo. primary source is the Concord book on the 4th panzer division and contains a number of photos of these tanks. it's more of a mix of photos from that same unit during the same time frame that i've used to try to get the features correct. i do not have enough pics of any one of the vehicles to be able to fully emulate it so i took what i needed from different ones and from Tom Cockle's build in his book. Markings will be from the Echelon decals for the 4th panzer division and applied as per my references....... yellow numbering, black shield logo, standing bear logo and cross on the rear.
Reply With Quote top