Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Tweak Guides - Tips & Trix

Tweak Guides - Tips & Trix Collaborate on kit improvements

Old 02-15-2007, 06:44 PM
vBench

Pablo, construction vehicles tend not to get shards of steel travelling at 300mph hit them Ta-da-bing on the crash cymbal.

I always thought 'cheeps' was too strong a word. Scuffs is a better word. Subtlety is a better one. There's loads to choose from but get your Sturm & Drang Panther out and look at that close up of the driver with 'Margret' chalked on the barrel.

I think there was a guy in Japan, Takahashi, who was doing this before Mig. Before my time but I think he did some stuff in Armor Modelling mag - anyone?

A
Old 02-15-2007, 09:14 PM
vBench

Allo.

Yes, you're right Andrew. I believe Takahashi was the inspiration for guys like Mirko, Andrew Dextras & James Blackwell. His latest work was in a recent Armour Modelling mag, and it is lovely subtle work. It's good to see that he and James are both back in the game.

Sheeds.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=g4WUlNSx_Wk
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2007, 04:27 AM
vBench

Hi Guys ,
I work with Forklifts in a Freezing Cold enviroment about -30 degrees celsius and i can honestly say that the paint work gets damaged very quickly ,with chips scratches and rust admittedly we are not very carefull with the Forklifts and we are driving in and out of steel racking which chips paint very well . I will post up some photos of the `new` forklift after its been in operation for about 6 months . The forklifts are battery powered so no fuel stains but hydrulic fluids attracts dirt and dust like nothing else .

So in my opinion Chips ,scuffs , scraches ,rust, dents, oil stains,fuel stains are all plausible but only if in moderation and preferably using photographic reference .

i also reckon that in a combat situation the vehicles paintjob is the last thing you worry about , the mechanical side of things comes first . i.e the engine ,gearbox, final drive,weapons then the crew and last the paint {unless the enviroment changes suddenly }

Thats just my 2 cents .

Cheers Plushy

An oldie but not so much a goody
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf4xwsZEpus
Morris Minor and the Majors `Stutter Rap `
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2007, 04:51 AM
Brokeneagle

roots in the 80's ..............

Well for me chipping came from Shepard Paine' s weathering guides, that came with the Monogram planes of the late 1970's and 80's. They started me off chipping my planes from his '4 pager 'articles in '89 and this led to chipping tanks in 90-91 [that's only intended as an example not a stake in the ground]. I think chipping was happening well before the Japanese guy, though it probably didn't become mainstream until the mid 1990's. This is also not intended to take away any admiration for Takahashi's stuff, I just think there were earlier influences for 'older' modelers.
Chipping is a great realism tool that should be subtle and combined with other weathering techniques to achieve the best effect.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:50 AM

Any armoured vehicle crew would tell you, when not driving, eating or sleeping, they're servicing the thing. If your life is dependent on the armour, you're not going to want it rusting to pieces under you. Plus the short life span of most WWII tanks meant, that while they would pick up scuffs and scratches, they wouldn't be rusting away.

Tracks, unless it's been sat in rain for a few days tracks don't rust, a 1/4 mile journey would take any surface oxidation off.

Chips, desert and white washes were temporary over sprays so would wear off quickly. Interestingly the desert colour between the Challenger 1 in the early 90's and Challenger 2 in late 90's was different in their ability to withstand weathering, Chall 2 look a lot more beaten up.

It does seem to be a fashion, like fad for the extreme weathering seen on Japanese WWII fighters as though they've been rotting in the jungle for a few yrs, no maintenance crews......even those with markings for home defence!
Reply With Quote top