Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 02-27-2014, 04:22 AM
vBench

Fantastic work Johannes. I'm looking forward to updates.

\Erik
Old 08-18-2014, 04:34 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to canjuaan
Hi there,

do you remember me? Well, every now and then I come around to present an update. Today's one of these days

The last months have been eventful, to say the least. After all the stress, I finally found some time for the bench. I have not documented each step of the painting of the fighting compartment as closely as I did for the front compartment, because these steps were nearly identical. Still I managed to accumulate quite a few pictures

If there are questions, I will answer them of course.

Unfortunately my own camera was not operational, so I had to use another one. It was a simple point and shoot type of camera, so the picture quality is a little worse. Sorry for that.

The fighting compartment floor after the detail painting, filters, a gloss coat, and washings. The Mahle airfilters have been glued in place.

Side views of the main gun and its mount. The washing may have become a little too dark, but I wanted to pick up the style from the front compartment. The next time I'll do an interior I'll rather choose more dusty colors for the washing.

Verlinden interior decals.

The subtle effects on the white base color are pretty much lost in this photograph. This time I applied the filters before I sprayed the gloss coat, to a much better result.

You might make them out in this picture of the fighting compartment's roof, though.

The boxes for the spare optics in the commander's cupola and the radio equipment were treated in the same way, i.e. filters, washing, and a light chipping.

Once again the main gun, but this time in its natural surroundings.

When everything was drying, the idler wheel's screw holes were opened up.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:51 PM
vBench

After the dull coat (ModelMaster).

The wet spots became wet again when a little bit of Future was painted on them.

The main gun, this time after receiving its dull coat.

The breech block came out really nice, but I couldn't quite get it in focus with the camera that was at hand.

The gun cleaning rods are in place now. So is the box for the spare prisms.

The box with the spare MG barrels has been put in its holders. I'm not sure if I'll also put an MG34 on the holder over the spare barrels box. Maybe the crew took it when they bailed out?

Also fixed: the ball mantlet.

There was this connecting piece on the real vehicle. Actually, there also was a second one on the underside of the gun tube. I learned of this too late in the build. The upper piece was made from a PE fret and Punch & Die bolts. It was painted with ModelMaster's Rubber and still needs to be dull coated.

In the end I made a little oil tin, also from scrap PE. I actually wanted to give it some dents with some hammer blows, but I'm too fond of it. So maybe I'll just tip it over like in the picture, as if the crew had tipped or dropped it when they were leaving the Elefant in a hurry.
In the lower picture you also see the leaves again I already put in the driver's/RO's compartment. Although both areas cannot be seen at the same time, I still believed I had to include them in the fighting compartment, too. For continuity reasons, you know.

That's it for now. The interior is almost complete. Only the small chains on the pistol plugs need to get some washings. Also the floor needs more pigment treatment (there already was some, but it hasn't made it in the pictures). Then it finally can be closed up. Most likely you'll see this in two weeks.

I hope you like it! See you next time,

Johannes
Old 08-20-2014, 05:21 AM
vBench

Outstanding Work Johannes! Do you plan to make the interior accessible/visible some how?
How much of the gun is OOTB? Why the holes on the idler wheel rim?
Finally why do you apply a clear coat followed by a dull coat?

Keep up the good work

\Erik
Old 08-21-2014, 06:27 AM
vBench

Wow , very nice Johannes

Agree with Erik it is outstanding work .

Keep posting the images.

Thanks
Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2014, 08:40 AM
vBench

Send a message via Skype™ to Torben Nielsen
Amazing to see you have made it so far Johannes. Though it has taken quite some time, your skills and touch has never failed you.
No one will ever dare to build an Elefant after this one is finished.
Now, take us all the way to the end.........

Greetings from Denmark
Torben
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2014, 10:05 AM
vBench

Send a message via Skype™ to Torben Nielsen
Johannes, I just realised that you made the first post in this thread nearly 7 years ago.....
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2014, 09:52 AM
vBench

Thank you very much for your replies. Here're some comments.

@ Erik: Very little will be seen once the superstructure is on the hull. Only the large circular maintenance hatch at the back, the sliding cover for the sight, and the hatches for the commander and the loader will remain open/removed. This sounds like there'd be a lot of insight, but it's much rather the opposite. The superstructure will not be removable. If I wanted to do so, I would have had to opt to do so much earlier in the build. It's going to be tough enough as it is to install the superstructure over the ball mount, because I need to install the engine deck at first - there's very little space to move the superstructure in position without breaking man items inside. It would be a nightmare each time I'd want to remove it
I'd estimate 80% of the gun is scratch build. You can actually make out the DML styrene parts in the last pictures of the gun without its coat of paint.
The clear coat seals the filters and provides an excellent base for the decals and washes. Because it is glossy, it needs to be toned down after the work with decals and washes is finished. The dull coat takes away the shine and blends the colors to a nice matte finish.

@ Mike: I'll try my best!

@ Torben: Actually, I'm being outdone as we speak. There's a model coming which is going to knock your shoes off. You might have seen some teasers a few months ago over at Missing-Lynx (Liejon Schoot is the builder).
Yes, I also realized it's almost seven years now. Hard to believe. But when I take in consideration what has happened in my personal life ever since I started this build, it's quite amazing that this build still continues However, I'd very much like to know what the real working hours on this model would quantify as.

Johannes
Old 08-29-2014, 02:45 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to Gopher
Absolutely amazing!!!
Geat work Johannes!
Glad to see you back at PA =)

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2014, 05:54 PM
Vbench

Yes, it's good to see this progressing. It's way more than what I would attempt, but I admire your craftsmanship. Well done. The finished model will be amazing.

Cheers
Scott Fraser

Last edited by greybeard; 08-29-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Reply With Quote top