Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Community > planetArmor General

planetArmor General General and Off Topic

Old 03-02-2013, 04:16 AM

Hi

With Ebay you have to consider who the seller is. There has been a steady increase in business sellers on all Ebay's. There is one outlet in Australia who lists vast quantities of stuff with reasonable prices on the UK site but the postal cost just doesn't make it worthwhile. Some Far Eastern sellers start at a very low bid price .99p but have a high postal cost. I think they work it in a kind of reverse situation. The postal cost is what they pay for the kit so the bidding goes up till it covers postal cost , then beyond that less Ebay and Paypal fees is profit. Bit of a gamble in my opinion but I've seen plenty go up to silly prices bidding on the kits....close to retail in fact.

Ebay takes a dim view of excessive postal charges, but this was because before they changed the rules Ebay only took a percentage of the item selling price not postage. This led to people posting low prices for items and as such paying Ebay low fees, but made there money by bumping up postal prices. Ebay I understand now take a percentage of the whole lot so there is no incentive to put in excessive postal costs anymore.

With the business sellers geared up for selling, boxes, regular trips to the post office, or even having packages collected I think they should and most do keep their postal cost reasonable.

Private sellers, individuals like you and I may charge more, but I tend not to complain about it. Time sourcing or buying packaging materials, boxes, bubble wrap etc. then going to the Post Office for a special trip I think needs to have a little extra in the postal cost, not charge just the actual cost of postage. I've sold items on Ebay and added a 1.00 to 1.50 on top of the postal price. I think that's fair considering how well I package items and doesn't even cover the cost of petrol to the Post Office.

As I said in a previous post, when bidding on an item I take into consideration the postal cost shown as part of the overall price I'm willing to pay then work backwards as to how high I'll bid. If others choose to not take postage cost into consideration or not even look at it that's their own fault and I think they have no justification in complaining.

I tend to sell my unwanted kits on sites like this before resorting to Ebay and when I do I only charge the actual postage, and use recorded delivery so I know they get it .

I don't post to anywhere but to here in the UK, not because I don't like the rest of the world its just the postal cost is too high and I don't want the aggro of items going astray and having a Paypal claim against me.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 03:59 PM
vBench

seems like if the item is from the west, coast figure 12 plus for shipping. if close to you 6 or so , distance factors in for domestic mail .
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 04:19 PM
vBench

best thing was for me: shipping from china to slovenia (what.. 5000km?) 12 or 15 euros and from customs to my house 5 euros (less than 100km)... that's just...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 10:09 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuKŁiNsKi View Post
best thing was for me: shipping from china to slovenia (what.. 5000km?) 12 or 15 euros and from customs to my house 5 euros (less than 100km)... that's just...
I found this figure, its a royal models knock off, a German tanker painting a tank, it was 5.99 free shipping to the USA. royal model figure 16 to 19 bucks plus shipping. local hobby shop 19 plus sales tax and it's from china. did not last long at the site, sold out in a couple of days.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 10:10 PM
vBench

so kuk anything exciting happening over there such as a snowstorm or heavy rains and wind?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpo View Post
I found this figure, its a royal models knock off, a German tanker painting a tank, it was 5.99 free shipping to the USA. royal model figure 16 to 19 bucks plus shipping. local hobby shop 19 plus sales tax and it's from china. did not last long at the site, sold out in a couple of days.
Your bragging about buying a counterfeit figure and directing others to the site ..........you don't deserve to be allowed on these forums.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2013, 05:30 PM
vBench

no it was not a counterfeit. the collar epaulets were different. the royal model had army tabs. this one was SS. besides 5.99 free shipping was an offer i could no refuse. anyway i"m not Amish so you guys can't shun me. when you are broke and hooked on models , not the two legged kind, you get the most that you can afford. i would love to patronize the local hobby shops, but they are out of my pocketbook. i had a bad incident at the LHS i wanted a color by Vallejo, since they come in pack of sixes they did not want to break one down so i was told i had to buy all six because this color was one of the slow sellers. well i turned to E Bay because they will sell one with no problems. it's just cheaper to buy from china.

Last edited by chumpo; 03-07-2013 at 05:40 PM. Reason: additional rants and raves
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2013, 07:06 PM

I know exactly the scumbag counterfeiter you mean and it is a remold of the Royal Model figure.

Being broke isn't an excuse. I have very little income so if I can't afford something I have to wait till I can afford it.

Next time you do some work imagine somebody comes along and they give them your wages, this is just the same. Royal Model, or indeed any of the figure manufacturers employ sculptors to create these figures and pay the development costs involved, you've then got some low life making copies and selling them.

The experience with your local model shop has nothing to do with buying illegal copies or justification to do so. In any case I doubt very much that buying a Vallejo colour from China is going to be cheaper than sourcing it in your own country.

Last edited by alanmac; 03-07-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2013, 09:27 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmac View Post
I know exactly the scumbag counterfeiter you mean and it is a remold of the Royal Model figure.

Being broke isn't an excuse. I have very little income so if I can't afford something I have to wait till I can afford it.

Next time you do some work imagine somebody comes along and they give them your wages, this is just the same. Royal Model, or indeed any of the figure manufacturers employ sculptors to create these figures and pay the development costs involved, you've then got some low life making copies and selling them.

The experience with your local model shop has nothing to do with buying illegal copies or justification to do so. In any case I doubt very much that buying a Vallejo colour from China is going to be cheaper than sourcing it in your own country.
Mr Mac, i bought one figure, would you want me to 20 laps around the block . do you work for royal model because this seems like it hit a vein, and thats my problem i cant work anymore i'm disabled so nobody will hand me any extra money to get the more expensive figure, sorry i wanted it so i got it for what i could afford at the time, the incident at the hobby shop well take it for what you view it. my experience is i can get one bottle of paint from e bay for 4.50 free shipping. anywhere else here 6 to 8 unless its within reasonable driving distance . so if i only need 1 item go figure as long as i can put up with the waiting time .
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2013, 09:35 PM
vBench

vallejo link on PM please
Reply With Quote top