Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 01-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Brokeneagle

Early model mk4 H - Russia/ 4th panzer div

Hello PA guys,
my last post was just a build without paint (Ersatz M10) and this is looking to be the same at present. I have started a policy of trying to get through a few builds and worry about the paint this winter when the heat and the outside sports etc won't be effecting my motivation and time.

THIS IS STILL NOT A COMPLETED BUILD. It will require further cleanup and work but this is as far as I can go without painting the engine bay so I thought I would post it at this unpainted stage. I still have a few of the finer details to clean-up such as seams on tools and areas of messy plastic that show up in macro.
This one is a MK4 H early or could just as well be a very late G but without the ability to see a defining detail such as the armoured roof plate I have to go with the identification by the publication Sturm and Drang, which has designated this a H and provided photo's. I have been wanting to d this for a long time and the appearance of the new H kit from Dragon sealed the deal. After starting this I reailsed I probably would have been better off using a late G kit and added the additional turret roof armour.
The engine bay has been detailed with a VLS kit(reworked Cornerstone), I have added a minimum of PE for tool clamps and shield latches. I have added the various missing details to create an early version and added the battle damage from the photo. Various other after market stuff is there aslo and some scratch work too- I leavethe details for your enquiring eyes to find.
The upper hull, engine, pare wheel box, turret rear sheild and tracks are not fixed as yet.
Battle damage includes hit to the frontal armor and transmission cover, bent and broken schurzen supports and rails, details on the front tranmission cover and the right hand headlight. The boxes on the left side of the vehicle will need to be added and I have thown in an unsanded resin example just to fill the space.

Barry.

Last edited by brokeneagle; 01-17-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2010, 09:49 PM
vBench

Barry that's a pretty slick model you've got there. Funny ain't it,to cold up here and too hot down your way.

I'll be keeping up this one even if the top does go round.
Tony the Mutt
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2010, 12:03 AM
This model kills fascists

There's a color slide of that tank in the PzKpfw IV in action booklet by squadron/signal.

It has the number, "200", in light blue. The tank is yellow with red.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2010, 12:05 AM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to Mbronen Send a message via AIM to Mbronen Send a message via Skype™ to Mbronen
Cool start! Keep it up!
Old 01-18-2010, 01:19 AM
vBench

Lots of added value to this kit uh ?
Now of course if you used the new H kit by Dragon some details such as the rear plate, the close defence weapon on the turret roof or the bullet splash guard around the driver and radio hatches are wrong but maybe you know this already ... ?
Old 01-18-2010, 06:17 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonfndr View Post
Lots of added value to this kit uh ?
Now of course if you used the new H kit by Dragon some details such as the rear plate, the close defence weapon on the turret roof or the bullet splash guard around the driver and radio hatches are wrong but maybe you know this already ... ?
Hey Laurent, do you know anything about the splash-guards for the side vision port of the initial production Pkw IV/D's? My dragon kit don't have them and I was hoping for some help before I go ahead and add them to my kit .
Thanks very much mate .

Life's so very funny, you just need to remember to laugh [note to the clowns].

Why would the clowns not let people into the tent? What's the point of the show if they don't? .
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2010, 06:18 AM
vBench

Top shelve Baz, I'd be proud of something half as good .

Life's so very funny, you just need to remember to laugh [note to the clowns].

Why would the clowns not let people into the tent? What's the point of the show if they don't? .
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2010, 06:30 AM
vBench

Send a message via Skype™ to AfRiKaKoRpS
Barry,
Great build and superb subject indeed but as Laurent mentioned alreday think you did some mistakes. I am curently building similar tank but the befehls version so I did some research including "Grislybaer" and I think that if you want to make it historically accurate very early Ausf.H you need to change:

- bullet splash guards should be 5 pieces (Laurent)
- there should be no poles (drivers and radiooperators hatch stops) mounted on the top of 50 mm front plate, this was in later one piece 80 mm front plate and they were at the top of this 80mm plate and not behind it
- there should be no round plate where the close defense weapon was, as it was introduced in later Ausf.H or even Ausf.J (Laurent)
- think that turret schutzen and schutzen mounts should be of early type not the late one you have used, the proper one you can find in the upgunned Ausf.D kit. If you look at the pictures you see that there is a metal stripe going along the bottom edge of back part of turret schutzen
- you need to add antenna deflector as its clearly visable at wartime pictures
- think that you have used the wrong lower hull as you have used one from late Ausf.H kit and in this thank the lower hull type is same as you can find in Ausf.G Charkov or Ausf.F1 or Ausf.F2 kit
- beacuse of the wrong lower hull the back plate is also wrong as it should be same as with the late Ausf.G
- because of the wrong lower hull you have also used wrong front plates as they are interlocking type typical for Late Ausf.H and in this particulair tank they are same as in Late Ausf.G
- beacuse of the wrong lower hull you have mounted bolted 30mm add-on armor to single piece 80mm front plate
- road wheel hubs are wrong as they are of the late type and you should have used ones from Ausf.G or Ausf.F2
- boogie stops are wrong as they are late type introduced in later Ausf.H and should be same as in Ausf.G or earlier
- muzzle break is not visable at the original pictures but you have used final variant of it, think either Ausf.G type or early Ausf.H would be more accurate here than the final type

In general I think you should have used Ausf.G Charkov kit and take just few parts from the Late Ausf.H inclouding turret, drive sprockets and final drive housings.
Here is what I did so far on my kit http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/sh...?t=6515&page=4 , my tank needed welded 30mm armor at the front of lower hull not the bolted type like on your "Grislybaer".

There are also two pictures of this tank passing through a village, one from the front and one from the back. Have you seen them? If you haven't I will look for them for you.

I might be of course wrong

Chris

.................................................. ......

StuG III Ausf.G DML Smart Kit - Dec 1942 Production Initial StuG III G - Russia 1942/43 - PA Group Build
StuG IV DML Smart Kit - 2. Kompanie Panzerjäger-Abteilung Brandenburg /1. Jäger-Rgt. "Brandenburg" - Poland 1945

Last edited by AfRiKaKoRpS; 01-18-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2010, 06:42 AM
vBench

Nice clean build...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2010, 07:41 AM
vBench

Send a message via Skype™ to AfRiKaKoRpS
Here you go:

Chris

StuG III Ausf.G DML Smart Kit - Dec 1942 Production Initial StuG III G - Russia 1942/43 - PA Group Build
StuG IV DML Smart Kit - 2. Kompanie Panzerjäger-Abteilung Brandenburg /1. Jäger-Rgt. "Brandenburg" - Poland 1945

Reply With Quote top