Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 03-02-2009, 01:57 AM
vBench

Ian, always nice to see your work here. Looks like you're doing great so far. Pin marks are a pain aren't they?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2009, 08:55 AM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to the_dagger Send a message via MSN to the_dagger
Looks pretty good so far! I'm enoying all the modifications you're doing on this kit. And by the way.. Are there any pin marks on this kit to speak of?
Old 03-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Brokeneagle

Some bracing and bar frame

Dagger and Evan, my 'PIN hassles' know no bounds. Thanks for the post

Marek, It is big, isn't it...............the barrell is big as well as you will see soon
Hello All, i'm back to add some more progress with the side armor bracing. When I started this part of the construction I dived headlong into it without looking at the photos and ended up with all the bracing installed only to find that none of it was on the prototype. I have taken away some of the bracing since the photos below ,but left a few in place, as they cannot be removed now without damaging the kit and I think they look kinda cool as well.

The braces themselves had some flash which needed to be removed (part on right- cleaned -up left)as with most of the smaller parts to this kit that has a hole or recessed shape.

I moved on to the rear bar assembly which you can see at the back of the vehicle in the indoor rear photo. This was a bit 'fiddly' so I used the 'clamps' to hold it at the correct angle etc while it was drying.
I have also constructed the support rails for the gun as well as the mount for use outside of the vehicle. I will post some more updates and instruction sheet shots etc. later today(when I get home).

Last edited by brokeneagle; 03-15-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2009, 08:59 PM
Brokeneagle

The Cradle

Hello again, since I last posted I have finished construction and will begin painting next weekend.
I thought that I might make this a bit more orderly from here as there are quite a number of photos. The next section that I moved accross to was the Gun Cradle assembly. This section actually took longer than all of the rest of the model combined as this is where all the detail is. The challenge here was to try to be as true to the photo as possible but there were some differences that I had to walk away from as they required too much work for this project.

The cradle support rails were very straight forward and only needed some sanding on the ends and underneath- very easy and a good fit.

The support platform and pivot base are nicely moulded but the support platform needs some filing of 'flash' between the grates. I also had to add some plastic card to extend the end of the front of the platform because on test fitting I discovered that the recoil re-couporators do not reach the platform. A simple fudge for on-lookers who want to look that closely. Also the pivot base has those pin marks that need cleaning up. I used my file and followed with some Mr Surfacer 500.
Next Up was the pivot base for the rear and this was a lttle more tricky. This actually fitted very well and was reasonably intricate. Watch for the angle as the instruction are a bit vague. The shape of the cross members is completely different to the photo of the found one but without more reference I left it alone. Once again the pins!

Sanding and Mr Surfacer to finish.

Next was the recoil recoups' and the rear coil springs on the outside of the frame.
I added a small pice of rod made from wire because it is on the photo and it was easy.

The springs were too small and the coils not pronounced enough as compared with the ones in the photo.I used a pair of loop making pliers for the re-making of the springs.

Last edited by brokeneagle; 03-15-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2009, 06:33 AM
vBench

Looks good...keep it up
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2009, 07:17 AM
Brokeneagle

The cradle continued................

After finishing the rear pivot base, I built the support for it. This asm is not a great fit and requires a bit of filling and sanding to finish.
I then drilled out the required holes in the sides of the platform, according to the photo and then went on to the cradle assembly.

TEXTURE WAS ADDED TO THE SIDE PLATES TO HELP GET RID OF THE PIN MARKS - this was still in progress.
Both the bolts on the side mounting support and the traverse wheel mount were modified. I had to add a wheel (taken from my Hummel kit) and move the mount for the traverse up and forward. The bolts for the side mounting support were removed and the correct pattern added. I also took a couple of bolts off the rear support structure side plates to match the pattern in the reference.

Above is the mount I made extra wheel - from sprue and the removed elevation ' sighting device.

.........The barrel support was straight forward and was one of the better fitting sub asm's.

I then finished off the swing support mount for the barrel with a couple of easy mods................. rear 'thingy' added and colar added to side hinge (made from a Panzer 4 wheel cap).

THE FINISHED PRODUCT MINUS THE BARREL AND THE SIDE PLATFORM STOPPERS WHICH i STILL NEED TO ADD. FAIRLY CLOSE TO THE ORIGINAL BUT NOT PERFECT. THE ORIGINAL PHOTO WILL ALSO SHOW THAT THE REAR PLATE OF THE CRADLE IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. AT THE MOMENT I AM TRYING TO WORK A WORD DOC TO HTML AND I WILL POST IF I CAN EVER GET IT TO TRANSFER TO THE BLOGG.
.................................................. ........

Last edited by brokeneagle; 03-16-2009 at 08:36 PM. Reason: additional text and spelling corrections.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2009, 09:02 PM
Brokeneagle

The barrel

THE BARREL WAS MY NEXT ADVENTURE AND I STUCK TO THE ONE FROM THE KIT - WHICH WAS SUPRISINGLY GOOD IN FIT i MODIFIED THE END SLEEVE TO BE LIKE THE PHOTO BY ADDING A ALUMINIUM TUBE WHICH I THINNED OUT. I am still going to add the additional texture for the muzzle brake to fix on and maybe some rifling if i can.

I AM NOT SURE WHETHER THAT SEAM LINE SHOULD BE THERE (MUZZLE BRAKE) AS IT IS A MOULDED ONE AND NOT A JOIN MARK ???? Anyone help?
I should also add the addional end ring to the muzzle brake as it doesn't look pronounced enough. I also added a bottom plate to the rear roller guide as it was ging to be exposed on it's side and not on the cradle where it would be hidden.
.................................................. ................
FINISHED AND POSITIONED AS SIMILIAR TO THE REFERENCE PHOTO AND HOW IT WILL BE IN THE DIORAMA.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:01 AM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to sharkmouth Send a message via AIM to sharkmouth Send a message via MSN to sharkmouth Send a message via Yahoo to sharkmouth Send a message via Skype™ to sharkmouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeneagle View Post
I AM NOT SURE WHETHER THAT SEAM LINE SHOULD BE THERE (MUZZLE BRAKE) AS IT IS A MOULDED ONE AND NOT A JOIN MARK ?
No seams or joints visible. It was a large item which was drilled out, you should do the same as not all the holes are even on the Trumpeter part.

Regards,
Saúl
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2009, 08:37 AM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to canjuaan
I've heard about the numerous and nasty knock out marks etc. on the kit, but these pictures top every expectation. I'm just glad that this isn't on my wish list, I would've gone nuts, already

Seriously, great work on the kit, so far. Don't lose the patience!

Johannes
Old 03-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Brokeneagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjuaan View Post
I've heard about the numerous and nasty knock out marks etc. on the kit, but these pictures top every expectation. I'm just glad that this isn't on my wish list, I would've gone nuts, already

Seriously, great work on the kit, so far. Don't lose the patience!

Johannes
Thanks Johannes.