Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 02-26-2009, 11:26 AM
vBench

House on wheels

That is some big 'n' serious rolling armor there.
I will be checking in frequently on your progress, as the theme is interesting as is the
surrounding in which you will place the "GERWERTZ TRAMMENER".
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2009, 07:16 PM
vBench

Hi Ian ,seeing the "Gerwertz Trammener" in the flesh last Saturday and the passion you have with each of your builds is truly inspirational. I can not wait to see the next stages with this project(let alone the finished result) as no doubt it is going to be a real head turner(and show winner) when finished.
Thanks again to you and Pete for another great Saturday arvo model "show and tell" and can't wait for the next one

cheer's ,Matt
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2009, 08:09 AM
Brokeneagle

Engine deck

Thank you for your comments.
James - Thank God I am not as boring as I though I was!

Lost Legionar - I hope I can keep it interesting.

Matt - thanks mate. Saturday was great. I'm looking forward to the next one.

OK - WELL NUMBER 1 issue solved for me is that I have my computer back and I don't have to fit in this posting during my lunch break at work. As I stated above I have already posted the engine deck stuff but after an hour of work it didn't save. So here I am again.

I detailed the fire wall parts G20 ans G3 as one side will have lots of detail while the other will have none - but you are guaranteed to have injection release pin impressions. The detail that I added was only basic- just enough to give a bit of detail as you look in.

Beware false detail - I wanted to hollow out the exhaust holes in the firewall of G20 since there are no pipes fitted . What I found was that the detail on one side does not match the detail on the other and my drilled hole came out half way through the surrounding collar. Just something to note. I filled mine back in and will have to settle for a black painted hole.

I have progressed somewhat and assembled the chassis up to stage 10 at this point in the instructions. Pretty straight forward stuff with only some small gaps that need some attention along the insides along the floor join. Also watch the fit of radiators - Trump. have placed some locating pins on the upper chassis but I found that if you use these your fans will not line-up with the fan outlet holes. This was especially bad for me because I modified mine to have a fan cover that was still being attached.

Watch out for the PE as well, as the instructions on the fit of the fan flutes are a bit lacking. I ended up ripping mine back out because I got them wrong and had to refer to some panther photos of to find out how they should be placed. I am still considering replacing with some other sheet metal of my own.

I am starting to collect a fair bit of engine stuff now and as you see I have made some handles for the engine deck covers as well using my trusty GRABHANDLER . I recomend one of these for those who do not have one handle making is a breeze now. I wish I could add some instruction sheet detail here but I need to find the software for my scanner, as I have to reinstall now I have a new computer. Hopefully tomorrow.
I also added the VP Carburettors to the inlet manifold on the top of the engine (green), as they were better than the kit versions. I used to make these myself a few years ago but I have got a bit lazy since then with the after market stuff around now.

To make the displayed model a little more interesting as well as making the build more exciting, I took a little 'artistic license here and decided to model one of the fan covers on the engine deck as still being fitted.

I knew that I had some extra covers via the Late Panther G 'smart kit ' which gives you a number of fan cover options. I selected the generic pattern that matched the King Tigers and proceeded. I figured if I was going to replace one then I may as well do both. I really love this kind of chop and refit modelling, it's a real buzz.

I added some bolt hole detail in the right places and rescribed the panel lines.

I then shaved and sanded off the other side and gave it the same treatment. In this shot I have the Dragon covers ready to go with one modified to have the bolts drilled out. This cover will be placed on the top of the engine deck as though it had been left in the middle of fitting. You can also see here the finished engine deck covers with the new handles.
See you guys tomorrow.

Last edited by brokeneagle; 03-01-2009 at 05:17 AM. Reason: added scaned instruction sheets/ spelling
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Another Modeler

Send a message via MSN to serpico Send a message via Yahoo to serpico
Excellent model, I like your attention to details....!

Thanks for posting all the interesting photos.......makes you wonder if this tank was produced how affective a platform it would've been?

Cheers, Paul
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2009, 09:38 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to sharkmouth Send a message via AIM to sharkmouth Send a message via MSN to sharkmouth Send a message via Yahoo to sharkmouth Send a message via Skype™ to sharkmouth
Thumbs up Maybe these oldie photos can help?

Ian, I thoroughly enjoy this type of modeling. Enough to break my silence. I hope this post is of some use.

This item may not be used on the vehicle. If it is, it will limit how far the hatches open.

The ventilator is actually smaller. By exchanging it, you then have room to replace the crew access hatches.

The kit crew access hatches look like Pz. IV types but are quite a bit smaller.

On my kit, I scrounged up some old Academy hatches from their ancient kit. Here are two photos for size comparison.

Since you seem to enjoy this type of cutting and replacing, I thought I'd mention this.

Now, to resume with my regularly scheduled lurking. I may be quiet now but still admiring everyone's work.

Regards,
Saúl
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2009, 07:38 PM
Brokeneagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkmouth View Post
This item may not be used on the vehicle. If it is, it will limit how far the hatches open.

The ventilator is actually smaller. By exchanging it, you then have room to replace the crew access hatches.

The kit crew access hatches look like Pz. IV types but are quite a bit smaller.

Regards,
Saúl
Hello Saul,
thanks for breaking your silence,much appreciated.
I agree with your observations, as they make good sense with those access hatches and the ventilator. As the front cover is not shown in any photograph , it's up for grabs .........i took your advice and removed the ventilator and added a VP Resin ventilator base (it looks more like it is still being put together). Quite a nasty little part to sand off the key. The casting for the hatch cover was warped anyway so I cut it out and sanded it down.
I then went for 2 Tamiya MK4 J hatches I had spare - i added these in the same way they are used on a Mk4, rather than trying to cut 2 larger square holes and imbedding them - it would slow me down (and then I would get bored and probably stop, which is what I am trying to counteract).I also took out all the bolts . Some are a bit off mmmm I will have to fix.

Last edited by brokeneagle; 03-01-2009 at 05:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2009, 04:23 AM
V-Bench

Ian,

very nice work, as usual.

I allways find your work to be inovative and inspiriational.
Allways those great ideas, how do you do it??

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2009, 04:46 AM
Brokeneagle

chassis

I have now completed the chassis assembly. Seats in, Floor, Lower sides etc. The wheels are on and in the modified position to simulate a suspended state as mentioned earlier in the post..
You can see the fan here through the exposed hole - the front plate is only sitting and not attached. The newly attached Dragon cover has also been added to the left side - much finer and more correct (I'm being picky I know). Now Commeth the joy of the almighty release pin marks - the side plate armour.

Side and front plates are 'obscenely' covered in pin marks. These things are a real pain with this kit - sorry for mentioning again but they do make it tuff to enjoy. ..The detail on the brace itself is quite good and it fits together perfectly. I will give the insides of the side plates a bit of Mr SURFACER 500 to give them a very slight texture and to help with the paint..
plus there is even one right in the middle of the hatch for the front plate.

Last edited by brokeneagle; 03-01-2009 at 05:11 AM. Reason: proof reading fix-ups
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2009, 05:04 AM
Brokeneagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel Repping View Post
Ian,

very nice work, as usual.

I allways find your work to be inovative and inspiriational.
Allways those great ideas, how do you do it??
Thanks Alex. I think it is classified medically as an overactive imagination........at least that is what my parents used to tell me when I was doing dioramas on the table tennis table (bringing in real dirt from the garden to simulate Russia).
12 years old ..................... I think I am 14 now.
Anyway, I am glad you are enjoying it, I certainly am. Ideas have always been easy, building is the hard part.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Metalhead #1

Send a message via MSN to skeletondude
Ian, thats one big gun!

You are really doing a great job with this kit!

Marek