Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 06-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Brokeneagle

It's a car that is kind of like a tank

but not quite. I originally posted this under my birthday blogg but realised that it wasn't really the place, so I created a Vbench log. I haven't done any armor lately so I thought I would post what I have been working on for the relevance of paint effects.
It's a car rather than Armour but the treatment of the paint is a very similiar to the deterioration that you get on desert vehicles. The dark color of the vehicle was a test subject for my BR52 project as both are weathered, dirty, black painted surfaces that build up a sh*tload of crap from the enviroment.
It's not armour but it is tough and it has to survive attacks on the road from crazies rather than Nazis.
I have been fiddling around with Mad Mad interceptors (road Warrior). I started with a number of 1/25 scale plastic injected models, then moved on to the 1/18 diecast and develpoed the weathering further in the larger scale, which was more applicable to the larger size of the train in 1/35 scale.

MAX 1/25 PLASTIC

I experimented with the 1/25 scale plastic model first and enhanced it quite a bit adding suspension and all of the interior detail except the dashboard and drivers stuff.

I also added small stuff like the ariel hole in the front quarter panel, as well as the roll bar and the rear shelf- which were a real challenge to fit inside the body shell. I also cut out the door inner panels to simulate the missing door trims and added the accentuators as wire. I used foil to surface the strip plastic which is painted black below (original doors had padded trim and armrests where I have the holes and block shapes.

I made a stand for 2 cars - 1 from the first movie and another from the second. I used black perspex cut to varying thickness' - i drew this design out first and thought it would be easy but getting everything to fit exactly, with a clear cover dropping over the top, was a bit harder than I thought

The clear cover goes over the top and the GT 351 badge ends up right in the middle of the rear black perspex panel.

Last edited by brokeneagle; 06-04-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Brokeneagle

1/18 Diecast Version

Doing this version is much more fun as it is purley a paint job. The plastic one needed lots of mods etc while the diecast version is at a larger scale with better detail and the larger scale allows more experimentaion with the smaller weathering details. Sometimes it's nice to just paint without much building.
DIECAST MAX 1/18
Then the 1/18 diecast version came out and I saw an opportunity to fill a gap in the market - the diecast car is shiny and the movie car never was, so I bought a bunch and have been flat out since. I had to refine my techniques for the shiny metal surface but In doing so I have developed a weathering technique along the lines of what I use for landscape painting with acrylic and pigments used in the middle to get different subtle shades.The weathering and fading etc is all done by hand with artist oils, no airbrushing here. These photos are taken of 3 different cars, so if you do notice some subtle differences that is the reason.

I added a number of modifications to the interior as well as the ariel hole as in the smaller 1/25 version, but I also moulded my own details in modeling clay. I then did a version with the front broken off - the car sustains this exact damage about 10 minutes into the movie after rear ending a Landau 2 door.

I also created a base for it.............................

Last edited by brokeneagle; 06-05-2008 at 05:37 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2008, 10:16 PM
vBench

A p-p-p-piece from here, a p-p-p-piece from there

Well done Hilly, really effective weathering!

Sam
Old 06-04-2008, 10:19 PM
vBench

Having seen these in the flesh, I can tell you, they are as spectacular as they look.All the details, no mater how small or how difficult to get to are sentaional. All I can say is "Bring on the 52"
Pete
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2008, 11:16 PM
vBench

Oh this is friggin' sweet!!!! I love it.

I always wondered if anyone made a kit of this classic movie car. I must find!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2008, 11:52 PM
vBench

Very good idea...like it a lot!!!!!
Old 06-05-2008, 12:37 AM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Totally

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2008, 01:40 AM
vBench

in one word Ian,EXCELLENT,i would love to know how to weather like that that
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2008, 02:58 AM
vBench

Send a message via MSN to Panzerserra
Beauty !!!

I love the weathering and damage...

congrats !!!!
Old 06-05-2008, 02:59 AM
vBench

"Kick her in the guts, Barry".

Top subject, executed with the typical Hilly Flair we've come to love.

Sheeds.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=g4WUlNSx_Wk
Reply With Quote top