Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Community > New Members, you must Post here first . Introduce yourself or just say hello.

New Members, you must Post here first . Introduce yourself or just say hello. Attention: Newly Registered Members (with a post count of 0), you must make a post in here first before the forum software lets you post in other forums (processing time takes up to an hour). This is to help reduce spambot activity in the other forums.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:15 AM

New guy on the planet

I was browsing through the hobby shop looking for a piece of train track and I saw this great looking Panzer IV D model (Dragon 6265). As a student of History I was attracted to the authenticity and as an Engineer the complexity. Models have gone a long way since I built my last Hellcat, 30 years ago. This thing is incredible; Im going to enjoy this.

The one thing I know nothing about is painting and weathering. There is a book I saw called FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions on AFV Painting Techniques (Modeling Manuals); Is anyone familiar with this? It's a little on the pricy side so I'd like some feedback before I invest. Thanks.

By the way, Im Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2007, 02:12 PM
vBench

Send a message via MSN to T140
Hi Tom.

I'm in a similar situation having recently come back to model making. Things have certainly moved on and painting methods and techniques certainly have. There's a lot of info out there on the net and you don't necessarily need to buy the book. I was pointed by someone on here to a coupe of good links, which are :-

http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles...nt/awpaint.htm

and :-

http://www.missing-lynx.com/rare_world/rw02.htm

Definately worth a look.
Welcome to the mad house that is model making !

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Founder

Welcome aboard!
Old 01-11-2007, 04:01 PM
vBench

Feel like you've stepped out of the Time Machine?

I started back again about - hmmmmm, has it been that long - five years ago. I left when about the time the Krupp Protze was all new and cool. Gads, what a difference. THe thing that is still amazing to me is the amount of precision data and history available now - compared to twenty years ago (I wonder if aircraft modellers think the same thing). So many of the things we took as gospel have been cast aside.

There are a number of great "free" places - here (check out the V benches the step by steps are great tools), M-L, etc.

As to your specific publication (the one from MiG, no?), I don't own it, but have heard great things about it. I don't know if it encompasses a broad range of techniques (it may have a slant to what some have called the Spanish school - heh) but MiG has a terrific style and method that a lot of the younger/current guys love.

Welcome to the Planet and anticipate a number of quality answers from the denizens.

Reply With Quote top