Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Community > New Members, you must Post here first . Introduce yourself or just say hello.

New Members, you must Post here first . Introduce yourself or just say hello. Attention: Newly Registered Members (with a post count of 0), you must make a post in here first before the forum software lets you post in other forums (processing time takes up to an hour). This is to help reduce spambot activity in the other forums.

Old 11-28-2006, 05:04 AM

Hi, I'm new here!

Hi folks in this neck of the woods,

I'm new here and my intention is to introduce myself.
I live in Germany near Cologne, I'm 52 years old, married to a schoolteacher and we have no kids.
I'm in the modelling since more then 40 years, starting with Airfix and Faller aircraft kits in the 60-ties. You heard it right. Then Faller had aircraft kits in their program. A long time ago. My first armor kit was the early Tamiya Panther in 1969.
As most military modellers I was focused on German Armor at the beginning. Due to my profession, I'm a retired German Armor Officer, it was a natural thing. More then 20 years ago I switched to US and UK/CAN Armor of WW II, in particular the Sherman and it's variants. But I also kept interest in modern NATO armor, as Canadian, Belgium and UK AFVs. Recently I finished an M48A2GA2, as one of the Armor we used to call this machine!
I never served with Leopard 2 ARM BNs. Either M48A2C, M48A2GA2 and Leopard 1 BN. Due to a hearing profile I had the leave the Armor and got posted as an logistic officer with divisional and NATO headqurters all over Germany. My last assignment was with the 7th GE Panzerdivision, that was disbanded in June this year. That in fact was the end of my career.

The Armor Battalions I was posted with were in the Southern region of Germany, this in consequence means that we had so-called partnerships with US Armor Battalions, working with them, in particular 2/11 ACR, 3-64 AR, 1-37 AR and 2-81 AR. This offered my the chance to learn the hands-on-components on M60, M60A1 and M60A3. The good old times! As mentioned before my hearing profile got worse and I left the Armor branch end of the 80-ties. My last big FTX with armor was REFORGER 1988.

Getting older my eyesight is getting weaker and I face difficulties in working the details on the kits, but I keep on going.

That's for short my introduction and I hope that I will collect interesting information with the forum and maybe can share my experience, being it as armor officer or armor modeller.

Cheers

Hauke "Hank" Krapf

Last edited by Sherman 2-32 Armor; 11-28-2006 at 04:21 PM. Reason: wrong spelling
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2006, 11:37 AM
vBench

Welcome to Planet Armor Hauke

There are a few guys here who served in the Army and you will fit right in.

Look forward to your models and to hear your stories.

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2006, 12:52 PM
vBench

Hallo und Willkommen Hauke,

I look forward to seeing some of your models

MfG - Andrew
Old 11-28-2006, 01:19 PM
vBench

Welcome aboard the Planet Hauke!

I did some time in the Army with the Cav, but long after the M60's had been packed away. I only got to see one once, sitting in a vacant lot on an Engineer base near the DMZ in Korea. I remember thinking how big the damn thing looked!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2006, 02:42 PM

Welcome Hauke, I look forward to seeing some of your work. I spent my last tour in what was then West Germany at Ferris Barracks in Erlangen in 1-35 Armor. We were neighbors to your partnership unit of 2-81 Armor. REFORGER 88 was my last big excercise before coming home to the states. I believe that was the last one where they deployed troops out on the countryside. Since then it's been greatly reduced. WHAT!? Tankers ears? You don't say. Me too! Just ask my wife!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2006, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the welcome, folks!

I established an account with kitpic already and keep your fingers crossed that I will be able to activate all my mental resources for posting pictures of my M48A2GA2 and other models.

For the moment I'm working on an Belgian Army AIFV PC = Poste Commandement. That's the Belgian variant with the M113 cupola and M2 HB .50 cal. The figures made me some headaches especially. I used the Interior parts from an Academy M113 and plastic sheets to create the interior. And the figures had to be rearranged to show natural poses of the CO and his RTO inside the track.
I'm looking forward to exchange information and old tanker's stories.

Charlie-66, you are absolutely right REFORGER 88 was good show. REFORGER1989 was the last one NATO was out in the German country side with all it's mighty. I have good memories of Ferris Bks, Erlangen. Partying with the folks from 2-81 AR in the NCO club was nice. The last word that I have heard is that the community had levelled Ferris Bks. By the way- It was on old German Army Armor Bks. I can't tell for sure, but I believe to have heard that Panzerregiment 35 was stationed there prior to WW II.

At the moment the Bundeswehr in its sixth phase of restructuring since reunification, getting smaller and smaller with each PHASE! Off the 68 former AR BN, Germany is now down to 6 battalions! About the same applies for Panzergrenadierbatallione, FA, ADA or Engineers. But a new Air Assault Regiment is forming right now, called Jägerregiment, luftbeweglich! As a former German Secretary of Defense had it articulated: "Germany is defended at the Hindukusch mountains!" Please don't understand it wrong! I'm not this kind of guy that is opposing deployment of German troops to war zones. But the German government and the German society are very reluctant in accepting the new "attire" that Germany had dressed up after reunificaton. I have done my part serving two tours in Bosnia, no threat; three tours at Kosovo, at the beginning hot to some respect but the last tours were more relaxing. But Bagram, Afghanistan, my last tour in 2005 was some kind of an other quality.

Thanks again for your warm welcome , guys!

Hauke

Last edited by Sherman 2-32 Armor; 11-28-2006 at 05:02 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2006, 05:50 PM
vBench

tankette Hmmmm... Bonnland, Wildflikken, Hohenfels...

Hello Hauke -

I'm another lifer, but spent my whole career dodging armor - in my early days I was in the US Airborne unit in Vicenza, Italy 1979-82 (and as an element of the ACE-Land - many great deployments with multination events.

Most our training events took place in Germany, in all of the usual places (pardon the spelling)... we did get kicked out of Wildflikken (spelling?) for a couple of years. I'm old enough to remember M60A2s firing 152mm at "Wildflikken"... the Pink Tank in the center of Graf(?)... Cav units in early square pattern camoflage... being run off of ranges by families of wild boar... all of the usual.

For us ground pounders (we were the only conventional non Mech in the US Army Europe at the time) - we immediately went for the trees and inclines, as the rest of the world was armor crazy and inclined not to notice small sqishy things under their tracks. We loved Bonnland and the Infantry training village. Does it still exist?

Let's see some Shermans!

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2006, 12:56 PM

Hi Paul,

thanks for your reply. You would be astonished how the situation has changed at the "Old Europe". Wildflecken was turned over to the German Army in April 1994 and is used now primarily as the training center for the German units earmarked for deployment being it Kosovo, Afghanistan, Kongo or other nice place all over the globe.

Vicenza is now the home of the 173 AB BDE. 2 Parachute Infantry BNs are stationed there as the BDE HQ and DS units. I worked with the folks from 173 AB BDE in BAF, AFG. Hammelburg and Bonnland are still used as the training area for the German Infantry School, the German equivalent to Ft. Benning, GA, but a littlebit smaller. Wildflecken TNG AREA, as the Mission Readiness Training Center, is now an annex of the Infantry School, Hammelburg. Don't be shocked that I'm writing down all these "classified" information. You can get this information at the internet anyway!

As far as I remember the square pattern camouflage was a trial that was run by 2 ACR at the mid eighties. But it was never adopted. It's hard to find proper documentation of this camo. There is one small picture of an M60A3 in the Osprey M60 booklet und some 15 years ago there was an article in Military Modelling. As mentioned before, due to the fact that this pattern wasn't adopted, no official documentation is available. It would be an interesting project, to build one of these 2 ACR M60A3. "TOUJOURS PRET"

I'm looking forward to have more interesting exchange of information at the future.

Cheers

Hauke
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2006, 03:30 PM
vBench

Welcome to the site!

Siim

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2006, 04:13 PM
vBench

Talking I'll track it down -

"As far as I remember the square pattern camouflage was a trial that was run by 2 ACR at the mid eighties. But it was never adopted. It's hard to find proper documentation of this camo. There is one small picture of an M60A3 in the Osprey M60 booklet und some 15 years ago there was an article in Military Modelling. As mentioned before, due to the fact that this pattern wasn't adopted, no official documentation is available. It would be an interesting project, to build one of these 2 ACR M60A3. "TOUJOURS PRET""

Hauke - A few years ago someone on Missing Lynx had a link to pictures and the actual name of the pattern in question. I'll look around and see.

As I remember it (1981 or 82) it was the same 45/45/5/5 ratio of green/brown/black/sand - only configured to 4 inch squares instead of chalk lined in.

Welcome - and thanks for the updates - it was a great time and palce to be a young soldier.

Reply With Quote top