Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Armor Art - Non-Model

Armor Art - Non-Model 2D, 3D (CGI) and BoxArt

Old 09-09-2006, 11:57 PM
vBench

I've started an introductory course in Maya

Just wondering maybe someone out there has worked with Maya software- maybe I can ask questions as this introductory course I am in rolls along? I wanna make tanks in my computer....

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2006, 12:50 AM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Maya

Hey James,

That sounds cool. It's quite the program. You'll have to let me know how it goes as you progress along. I am wanting to learn photo shop to paint with. There is this guy who has a site called www.goodbrush.com that does set design sketches that are really amazing.

L
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2006, 01:11 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bates View Post
Hey James,

That sounds cool. It's quite the program. You'll have to let me know how it goes as you progress along. I am wanting to learn photo shop to paint with. There is this guy who has a site called www.goodbrush.com that does set design sketches that are really amazing.

L
Oh yeah hey Larry- sorry forgot to mention in response to the earlier query of yours about using photoshop and the Wacom tablet- yep to both- I have been using them for half a decade or more on a daily basis since PS 4 I think. I was trained on the job when I worked at this animation place working on cartoons where I painted backgrounds with it.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2006, 03:00 AM
vBench

Hi James,

i´m working in the computer games industries as an illustrator and texturing artist. So, im familiar with most graphic programms.

I have modelling and texturing skills in maya (only polygon modeling, no nurbs or subdivison surfaces).

A couple of years ago i have modeled some WW1 stuff, maybe i could find some pictures and show it to you.

I´ve you have questions- just ask me, maybe i could help you...

Cheers Manuel

Last edited by jagdpanzer; 09-10-2006 at 03:03 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2006, 10:32 AM
Founder

Do you think I "3D" CG modeling forum is needed? I can see it going far.. particularly with 3D printing now here
Old 09-10-2006, 10:34 AM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
3D modelling DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordy View Post
Do you think I "3D" CG modeling forum is needed? I can see it going far.. particularly with 3D printing now here

That sounds like a pretty neat idea Gordy. Seems as many artistic types do come here to this site. I for one would like it.

Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2006, 11:32 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagdpanzer View Post
Hi James,

i´m working in the computer games industries as an illustrator and texturing artist. So, im familiar with most graphic programms.

I´ve you have questions- just ask me, maybe i could help you...

Cheers Manuel
That may become something you regret letting me in on.. (ha ha)
I wonder if you can make any recommendations on a PC type laptop that maybe good for doing this type of stuff. I am a Mac user and there is a Mac version of Maya but the industry seems to be geared towards PC. I want to spend no more than 1500.00 Can you educate me as to what kind of configuration I should be looking for? Also I wonder if you, (or anyone else out there) may have any experience with Vectorworks, a more 3D CAD program. BTW what company/games are you working on and what programs are you guys using?

And Gordy- yeah I think a 3D section maybe useful- though I most likely won't have much to contribute for awhile. There is so much to figure out with this MAya program!

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2006, 12:20 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfaust View Post
Oh yeah hey Larry- sorry forgot to mention in response to the earlier query of yours about using photoshop and the Wacom tablet- yep to both- I have been using them for half a decade or more on a daily basis since PS 4 I think. I was trained on the job when I worked at this animation place working on cartoons where I painted backgrounds with it.
Trained on the job....that's nice. I'm going to have to figure this stuff all out on my own.

L
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2006, 10:02 AM
vBench

Hi James,

first excuse my poor english. its been awhile since i wrote english. this board will hopefully bring my modelling and english skills to a better level

Some answers....

---------------
I wonder if you can make any recommendations on a PC type laptop that maybe good for doing this type of stuff. I want to spend no more than 1500.00 Can you educate me as to what kind of configuration I should be looking for?
---------------
You can do some 3d stuff with olmost every modern PC/Laptop.

Expect you are heading for superrealistic high poly modelling (high detailed organic forms, such as characters or landscapes), a 2,5 ghz, 1000 ram with a 256mb graphic card should work superfine.
You can work with slower machines too, at home i sometimes push some polys with my 2.5 ghz, 512 ram and 128mb graphic card machine. But for big 3d scene this is a minimum.
You dont need a 64 bit core for normal use. Also i could recommend a large display- 3 d software usually have lots of menus etc.

------------
Also I wonder if you, (or anyone else out there) may have any experience with Vectorworks, a more 3D CAD program.
------------
Sorry no. The only 3d Programms ive worked with are: Cinema 4d, Max and Maya

------------
BTW what company/games are you working on and what programs are you guys using?
------------

Im relativ new to this biz, about 3 year as an employe.
Currently im employed as a 2D Lead Artist at an EA studio in Germany. At the moment we are working on a prototype.
The last years i mainly worked on Spellforce 2 (a fantasy roleplaying/strategy game) and different game addons. Before i worked as an freelance illustrator and graphic artist for different advertising companies. I also did a lot of freetime work for a battlefield mod- battlefield 1918.

At our company we (the graphic department) are working mainly with Maya and Photoshop- nothing fance...

Manuel
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2006, 09:16 AM

Thumbs up Why not a new Intel mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfaust View Post
I wonder if you can make any recommendations on a PC type laptop that maybe good for doing this type of stuff. I am a Mac user and there is a Mac version of Maya but the industry seems to be geared towards PC. I want to spend no more than 1500.00
Why not buy one of the new Intel-based macs and make it a dual boot machine with BootCamp? That way you get the best of both worlds.

It wont be as cheap as buying a Dell laptop but since you're already a mac user it might be easier to justify the bigger outlay since it's not just for doing 3D on.

I'm using a PC both at home and at work right now but my old trusty G4 Quicksilver is still standing beneath my desk at home and I'm waiting for Apple to upgrade their MacBook Pro line with Merom-processors (Core Duo 2). As soon as they ship I'm going to be a proud owner of a MacBook Pro 17" :-)

Regards,

Staffan
Reply With Quote top