Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 08-17-2006, 06:28 AM
Brokeneagle

This little dio was pretty much one of the first things that I posted here at the Planet but it was only as a how to on the base [ in the Finishing section]. So I thought that I would finally V-Bench it with all the photo's that I didn't include in the SBS. This will be 'old hat for some of you so sorry in advance!
This kit was fairly new when I built it and I was very impressed with the amount of options that Dragon provided. The kit comes with 3 different muzzle breaks for the various versions throughout the war. A Aluminium turned barrel and a plastic one. Two sets of rubber tyres - new and damaged. The damaged ones look great as they have chunks out of the rubber, moulded in. Dragon also give you the option of 3 different wheel hub patterns. There are also brass and plastic shells, ammo boxes and cylinders as well as a full Fallschirmjager crew. The decal sheet is also good giving you the printing for the ammo cases [nice touch] as well as the shells.

Once I had built the kit and the base I did a test fit-- fits ok.
The rubble I use comes from two mixes.
1. VP tiles and bricks.
2. A mix of plaster debri, ground up bricks [real] and small stones from the road outside my house.
The second mix is good for an overall cover while the VP stuff I use sparingly where I need crisp detail to show.
The final touch is with some [unused] Cat Litter, I filter for the really small ones.

I then started base coating the PAK as well as the base at this point
After the base had been rendered to the point where I could add the model and other details I proceeded to do some touch ups such as the addition of the painting, it needed rubble.

well that's it for the moment as photobucket seems to be offline or something.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:32 AM
vBench

Ian, lots of RED x's mate!
Old 08-17-2006, 06:34 AM
Brokeneagle

Quote:
Originally posted by Sticky@Aug 17 2006, 10:32 PM
Ian, lots of RED x's mate!
Thanks John,
The photos keep appearing then dissappearing and I can't get anymore images from my photobucket album
Old 08-17-2006, 06:44 AM
vBench

Don't worry Ian, I think their server is down at the moment... :angry:

Guess it wont take too long

-Ambjoern
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2006, 07:42 AM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Looks good here Ian,
Larry

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2006, 07:58 AM
vBench

I can see the photos here!
Looking really good Ian! I like the style of your vBench posts. This gives us less experienced modellers a nice guide. Thanks again!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2006, 11:53 AM
vBench

Location: Somewhere near polarbears, reindeers and Santa let loose on Arctic circle..
Looks like our MasterDioramer is on business again!

Cheers Mikko
Old 08-17-2006, 03:10 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42

This looks superb, I like it so much!

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2006, 11:19 PM
Brokeneagle

Thanks guys for the feedback. It seems that photobucket is up and running again.
Martin,
I am glad that you enjoy my Vbench posts, especially if you are getting something out of it.
Mikko,Paul,
thanks for the 'props'.
Well as I said before there was a whole process in the base construction which can be seen in detail under painting bases ,so here i will just add the stages in small photos, without the description or detail.
I 'chucked' in a photo of the brushes that I use as I go along..............the large one is for drybrushing oils on the base and the 'stumpy' is for pigments and pastels.
I also did a test fit during the base constuction using the newly constructed figures.....i do this to check thebalance of the scene as once the paint goes on everything looks a lot smaller and crowded.
Once I had finished painting the PAK i put it back on the completed base to see what I needed to do to blend it in so it would not look like it had been 'choppered' on to the base. :lol:
I dusted up the rubber tyres then added a pin wash which gave a nice worn effect. I have found that you get a nice dull steel look by doing some of the chips on dark yellow with a Tamiya medium grey or light grey but it needs to be used sparingly.
It's always good to add a small feature that is external to the main scene. I have added a path to the door, it is only simple but it fills an empty section of the dio.
I finished the figures, placed the PAK and glued it down, then tested the fit and balance with all of the ammo cases. Once I was satisfied i added the figures and ammo boxes and then did the final blending with pastels.

.................................................. ....

This shot shows the very nice detail of the ammo boxes, these are better than any i have seen and are up to Tamiya quality.

This is the true final shot as I changed the position of the milk container in the ammo box and added a map. I have never been that 'turned on' by anti tank guns that were not mounted on a platform but I thoroughly enjoyed this kit and would highly recommend it as the options and accuracy are all there.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:52 AM
vBench

Great SBS Ian. I really like how you go about creating and painting the rubble. Wish I could get the cajones to give stuff like that a try.
Reply With Quote top