Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 03-13-2006, 10:19 PM
vBench

I have this kit -so I'm sure this will be enlightening

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2006, 01:43 AM
Brokeneagle

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Bates@Mar 14 2006, 02:06 PM
Cool,

You gonna post them or what? :lol:

Larry
:lol: yeah, yeah,yeah.......getting there in my own painstaking way. I 've still got a couple of dml's to go
Old 03-14-2006, 01:44 AM
Brokeneagle

Quote:
Originally posted by panzerfaust@Mar 14 2006, 02:19 PM
I have this kit -so I'm sure this will be enlightening
Well, I hope they help. Fair bit to go yet.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:04 AM
Brokeneagle

The Cradle
Well, here I am again and thank you all for the interest and reply's.
I am glad that you are getting something from this as I have nearly 'blown up' the camera I reckon with the amount of pictures. :lol:
The next shots are of the cradle that holds the gun. This was missing all of the inner detail and the outside detail was only so so. I replaced the front bar for the crank with an Auminium one - just because I wanted to I think.
DML give you all this brass for the kit and then the instructions leave you 'high and dry' and don't use hardly any of it. The really weird part was the PE for the cradle [copper in the pictures].
Gotta love those large injector pin marks.
As you can see above the PE had no elevation to the bolt heads. The marks were there but no substance ......and these are BIG bolt heads! So I went about putting them in. One thing I learned from a post on PA recently [can't remember who gave the tip] that I will use - hex shaped plastic strip stock for bolt heads, you bet! It's gotta be easier than the bloody punch and die set from Historex that seems to be changing from a hex to a circle with each use. :angry:
I also replaced the plastic rod on the side with a brass one, as it looked just a bit larger in diameter, which was what I was after. I then discovered the inner sides of the cradle should be covered in bolt detail as well [well of course!] and just staired at the thing in horror........this went on for quite some time before I moved on to the body and said ' I will do it later then!
I also added the box on the side but I had to work off photos that were not very close. It also only appears in some shots so it probably has something to do with the actual firing?.
I also cut out the vertical ribs on the engine ventilation covers as they are miles to thick but in doing so you will probably destoy the bolt head detail so you will need to replace that as well.
The standing platforms on the sides of the cradle are too thick and have the wrong shape and tread pattern. The circular pieces [4 in all] on each top side of the cradle also need work.

The Body
Well, it's certainly not Elle Mcpherson and there is 'heaps' wrong here as well. I will mention a few obvious points but you are better off checking the link provided by Loneranger20 and getting AFV 12.
These are some of the changes needed to the body......
- clamps on each side of the engine fan cover
- bulge in body on the outside of the engine fan cover
The wheels are fixed in the moving position but it looks way cooler lowered into the firing and transportation mode. DML is fixed, Trumpeter give you the choice.
- the walkway next to the main body needs to be lowered.
-rings and chain need to be added to all lifting toggles as well as bolt detail to the back
Old 03-14-2006, 07:18 AM
Brokeneagle

The Body continued
you will also need to add pins with chains in the centre here on both sides. I also scratched the mounts for the railings as the kit ones were too basic and small.
The ladders at the rear are also too thick and short with the wrong shape to the curl at the top. Locking pins need to be added to the holes at the base at both ends near the wheels.
I could keep going but I would be here for hours. Check the link and all will be revealed. I will throw in some comparison shots of the ammo and a shot of the spare gun sprue and then it's on to the painting of the Trumpeter kit.
Trumpeter sprue
here you can see the two different barrels , the loading trays for each and the two different shells.

DML SHELL
Close -but no bottom detail .
I have run out of comparison shots as the rest are photo's taken during the painting stages of the Trumpeter model. If you look at these closely you should be able to see the detail that was not on the DML kit.
I still might give this wreck another go and use my spare Trumpeter bits and turn it into the long barrel in a firing position. If I get time.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:53 AM
Brokeneagle

A QUICK LOOK AT THE TRACK
I thought that I would take a quick look at the track so that you will know what to expect.
First up a close look at the kits parts.

The track slides through the 3 fixed pins and it is quite easy to do...a clever way of assembling. The track parts have a nice texture as well.
These parts join the track lengths together.
The track sprue that you will see plenty of if you build this kit.

A section of the embankment. It clips together like this.................

This is the bit that gave me some greif, probably because I extended the length of track by an extra foot. The sections of embankment wobble over the length and if you are planning to sand the sides then you will definately need to brace the inner walls as your putty will crack as soon as you try to sand it.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:14 AM
Brokeneagle

THE TRUMPETER FIGURE SET .
Well what can I say.......they are so so. The bodies and some of the heads are useable but the equipment and helmets are WICKED!. I realise that they are for the Leopold but most of them can be used on either kit. I don't know what the Dragon set are like but I don't think that they would be worse.

You get a fair bit in the box.
Torso and heads are OK... MP40 AND HELMUT NO WAY!
Old 03-16-2006, 07:23 AM
Brokeneagle

PAINTING THE TRUMPET.
TRACK 2
I finished the track first, so I started there and this also allowed me to get into the swing of things with color before hitting the serious part of the model. I added some more detail to the ground work as well so it would be realistic. With hindsight, I think I would add some weeds as well. I still might .
The groundwork was a mix of crushed stones and kitty litter that had been filtered to a certain size[unused of course!]. It was then glued down with a mixture of white glue and water, same as used in the step by step on bases in the FINISHING section on this site.
The wooden base has just been sanded in the first shot and I have thrown a figure in for scale. I also added a frame to the trumpeter base that helped attach it to the wood and line it up properly.I used Basswood stips from the hobby store and measured it all up with these being fixed first with pins and glue so that I could just drop the base inside the fixed frame when ready.
The second shot shows the track and base at about 90%, it still needs some pigments, rust on the track pins and some chrome silver for the top of the tracks.

CARRIAGES
These were fiddly but fun. I treated them like a tank body and base coated them in black as they were going to be dark and greasy as old train stuff is! I then gave them a ghost coat with a dark mix of German Grey, then a heavier coat of a lighter German grey. I then mixed up a dirty brown color that was pretty thin and went over the bits I thought would become layered in collected dust and grime. At this point I went down to the local train station and checked out the lower part of the train bodies sitting in the yard. I checked out the track detail and colors as well. I had my oldest son with me and this is were he said" quick Dad someone might see us and think where weird" ,to which I replied," to late for that". :lol:

Still early stages but you can start to see the grime. I gave the axles a black coat and the inner wheels all got a red brown ghosting then a go over with dark rust pigments.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:49 AM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Ian,

This is looking awesome, your making me want one, stop it please :lol:

Larry

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2006, 01:13 PM

Nice view of the carriage....

Fairly identical to the one of the TR K5E, in some aspect.

Also, gives me food for though , while waiting for Eduard PE set.

keep it coming ,looks great....
Reply With Quote top