Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 12-28-2005, 09:58 AM
Brokeneagle

I/35 Scale
Basically this is a dio of a Dragon Wagon in Nov. - early Dec. 1944 being used to clean up a forward airfield full of 'left behind fighters by JG 300. USAF want the field cleared for their Mustangs to run sorties into western Germany.The figure walking and reaching for his pistol has heard a noise and is making his way back to check, while his partner just wants to go and have lunch. Lurking behind the trailor is a lone German soldier who has been cut -off from his unit, a fanatic.
What will be next????
The kit is obviously the Tamiya Dragon Wagon and the FW190 is from Hasegawa.
The Dragon Wagon only required a few mods as it was one of the first AFV multi - media kits from the big players. I added the oil resevoirs for the rear chain drive as well as all the small chains needed for handles, pins etc. I also detailed the cab with additions to the rooflighting and warning labels, dash wiring and centre cab box handles. I also relaced the .50 cal with a resin/PE Verlinden one. Numerous bas and packs with straps also added[and the odd crow bar jammed in between stuff too].
The only part of the kit that I had trouble with was the rear sub assembly on the cab the would not fit into position properly next to the compressed air cylinders. There is a plate on the side of the chassis their that I had to modify. I am still unsure as to what happened here and becuase the Tamiya stuff always fits so well I think it must have been something I did wrong!
The FW190 recieved a major overhaul...........
- an inner frame being built for the rear fuselage radio hatch cut out in the right side, bullet holes, pilot flip step on left side, rear of canopy
-cowling clips, ariel, rear tail wheel improved
- wings cut off and flaps re-positioned, rear canopy smashed and rebuilt with slide wire, bracing, access hatch and new copper base
-rebuilt rear tail flap as bent and damaged inner frame with torn fabric
-cockpit details enhanced and added
-brass gun barrells
-wiring for broken wings as well as simulated bent and cut aluminium ends
-destroyed right side with damaged panelling.
It was the OLD 1/32 scale kit that is along way behind their new one.
I mix these scales with planes and tanks because their is no alternative, but they fit OK. VP figures are oversized a lot of the time anyway and people come in all shapes and sizes. Years ago I did a compare with 1/32 to 1/35 in planes and the difference is very minimal, so close its not worth worrying about while 1/35 scale versions are not available.
The groundwork was done in the usual way but with this scene I really wanted to try to capture the pre - winter [getting cold and wet but not snowing] feel, especially as winter that year came later than expected and the first week or so of the Buldge did not have snow only mud and ice. I used Tamiya clear multi layered for the puddles . The swirling mud was done with OILS in between each clear layer to give a 3d effect in a minimal depth.

Construction was fairly straight forward though I did add some chains and locating pins to the appropriate places on the prime mover as well as the oil reserviors and lines for the chain drive. I also added a lot of detail to the cab roof and dash as well as wiring and instruction plates above the driver. I should have got a photo , oh well.
............................[IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c131/3dbattleart/Dragon%20and%20the%20Wolfe/construction.jpg[/IMG

My original idea was going to be a sub - Sam Dwyer suggested it to me. I wanted to put something unusual on the trailer - I then changed my mind to a 190 and Sam did one with the sub.

Old 12-28-2005, 11:50 AM
James

Way cool. It looks very fantastic, allthough I wonder about the German soldier. But then anything is plausable after the reading I've been doing. I enjoyed this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2005, 12:29 PM
vBench

That is a good looking Dio. I have seen it somewere else tho. Hmm another site maybe?

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2005, 01:10 PM
vBench

Absolutely fantastic! Is that a Hasegawa 190?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2005, 02:15 PM
vBench

Great stuff....love the tore up plane.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2005, 05:56 PM
vBench

This diorama looks very good, Ian!

Only some pictures are a little bit dark.

Cheers

"Bet Kinder bet, morgen kommt der Schwede.
Der Schwede der kommt mit dem morgenstern,
Er frist die kleine Kinder gern."
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2005, 12:56 AM
Brokeneagle

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed them and thank you for making me welcome.
Hagar,
yeah, I wasn't sure also and nearly took him off but it creates a talking point when looking at it live and I originally had it there for the Comp. I entered it in - mainly for the judges.
What have you been reading?

Uruk - Hai,
could be your screen settings? On my screen they come out fine but darker on my sons because he has his settings all different.

Stuke,
I love planes but only when they are beaten up and usually half destoyed. I have some plans for future projects with destroyed fighters and vehicles. The next will probably be from the shot attached...

Evan,
yes its the OLD Hasegawa 1/32 scale kit. I mix these scale with planes and tanks because their is no alternative, but they fit OK. VP figures are oversized a lot of the time anyway and people come in all shapes and sizes. Years ago I did a compare with 1/32 to 1/35 in planes and the difference is very minimal. Certainly nothing you would pick up in a dio with heaps of other stuff around.We all work off memory recognition anyway and these kits [Tanks and Planes] are never put next to each other in 1/35 scale, so no one has a reference for their scale eye anyway I don't think there has ever been a 1/35 scale fighter, only a resin half body from kIRIN- 109K-4.

mnickolson,
I have it up at the gallery at ML [with some of my older stuff]but it is very limited there and you can only send them 5 photo's and then you are locked in. Also the main shot blurred out a bit when they posted it so i wasn't happy.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:39 PM
James

Quote:
Originally posted by brokeneagle@Dec 29 2005, 12:56 AM

Hagar,
yeah, I wasn't sure also and nearly took him off but it creates a talking point when looking at it live and I originally had it there for the Comp. I entered it in - mainly for the judges.
What have you been reading?
I have just about finished the 2 books on the 12SS published by Stakpole and a few by (darn cant remember name). The small action accounts are riveting and I am surprised for some reason at how screwed up things could get. Even though I've had some armoured training I guess the airforce has dimmed my thought processes. Anyways I very much enjoyed the dio and anything can happen as you said.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2005, 09:01 PM
Brokeneagle

Hagar,
sounds like interesting reading. It must have been pretty Chaotic for the Hitler youth at that time , though they did look cool with the u-boat leathers and the girl friends names on their mk4's. Have you got 'blood and Honour' hard back published by Luther, its very good also on the 12th.
I just got a book on Stalingrad called 'An Infantryman in Stalingrad'. It covers the battle through the eyes of a soldier via his journal. As he relates each day, photo's from his unit are added as well as aerial photo's with dotted lines drawn over them to show how the front line moved within the city. I haven't seen such a detailed account anywhere - and it's well told too.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:38 AM
Brokeneagle

The back of the cab was crammed with packs, crowbars and chains with a playboy and some glasses for the interior.

The storage compartment at the front end of the trailer was filled with ration boxes, chains, bag of stuff, spare wheel hub and a number of
aquired jerry cans.
The plane recieved the full treatment as described above. I used lead foil on the wings to simulate 'hacked up' aluminium- I burnished the ends super flat
into the plastic wing where the panel starts until the edge was minimal.

The right side of the fuselage was ground down from the insude with a dremel tool until the plastic broke away and then I added a airframe to the inside as well as holes for missing rivets and some of the gear that is found inside the rear section.