Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 08-09-2008, 10:22 AM
vBench

tankette Tamiya Panzerkampfwagen II Ausf A/B/C

Here's my latest build - Tamiya's newest WWII German Armour. Good to see Tamiya releasing more early war subjects. To be honest, I wasn't that keen on the Pz II but since I was looking for a quick and easy build I chose this little tank.

I have always liked Tamiya's boxart and this is no exception. The figure rendition is average though.

I won't be doing a SBS as it takes too much time. Work has been keeping me busy and what little time I have left, I rather spend building.

For a detailed review of this kit, I refer you to Terry Ashley's review on PMMS
http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.co.../tam35292.html

But I will introduce the sprues

Sprue A x 2 - Tracks, suspension arms, sprockets, idelers and roadwheels.

Sprue A is useful is you wish to replace DML's sprocket and also if you want spare roadwheels. The parts code is 0004767 (A part) if you wish to order from Rainbow Ten.

Sprue B and C - Upper hull, hull armour, visor covers, turret shell and figure body

Sprue E and G - rear plate, smoke candle rack, front armour and add-on armour

Sprue H - OVM tools, lower turret, engine doors and guns

Lower hull

As I was taking photos of the sprues, I realised I didn't come across the PE and decals. Wave of panic hit me as I thought it was left out of my kit! After a couple of minutes frantically searching through the kit, I found those tricky little buggers stuck to the underside of the cover. Phewww!!

So here are the close-ups

Poly caps!

LQ

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.

Last edited by lquah; 08-11-2008 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Forgot to post the poly caps!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2008, 10:24 AM
vBench

And the perfect instruction sheets

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2008, 10:35 AM
vBench

Great to seeing your work AGAIN Go Lawrence go...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2008, 10:37 AM
vBench

And some reference books that I will be using

The indispensable Achtung Panzer book. Useful for showing the distinguishing characteristics of the different Ausfs.

Spielbergers book republished in English has useful interior photos. The Ian Allen book on the other hand is very disappointing and it is shocking that they misidentified a drawing of a PzKpfw I as a PzKpfw II!

Militaria 2 volumes on the PzKpfw II is decent and does explain the technical development of the PzKpfw II.

ModelArt's book on the PzKpfw II Ausf F. While mostly focused on the Ausf F, it is still useful as the Ausf F shares some common parts with the Ausf C and there are some photos of the Lenino Ausf C.

And finally, I have a bunch of private photos and eBay photos to guide me along.

Last edited by lquah; 08-09-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2008, 11:02 AM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to Markus
Nice one Lawrence, glad someone does a Blog of this one!
I´m thinking about picking this kit up as soon as it is available in Germany, so it is very interesting to see how it will build up and how the details are.
I´m glad too that Tamiya gives us some early war stuff!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2008, 12:15 PM
vBench

Hey Lawrence, funny you should post this- I just got one of these yesterday and will be building it up pretty quick. Always good to have you participation here at pA. I know about the work thing too...

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2008, 12:49 PM
vBench

Thanks LQ for the look inside. I have mixed feelings right now. I got the DML kit and it looks monstrously complicated compared to this. funny to think some time ago I liked the complex nature of some kits, but now I guess I have started to value my time more and more.

Hey LQ, it has been a long time since I last communicated with you, how are you?

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2008, 01:49 PM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to the_dagger Send a message via MSN to the_dagger
One question: Didn't the ausf. A have another type of suspention?
Old 08-11-2008, 12:44 AM
vBench

Thanks for the peek inside LQ. Hope to see you build, paint and complete a kit for once.

Cheers,
Julian
Old 08-11-2008, 08:46 AM
vBench

The Ausf a did have a different suspention......

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dagger View Post
One question: Didn't the ausf. A have another type of suspention?
But not the Ausf A. The Ausf numbers for the Pz II are a little confusing it goes like this this; Ausf a, b, c, A, B, C, and so on. The lower cap. Ausf were preproduction models and built in limited numbers except the c which was built in modest numbers. It is pretty hard to tell a c from an A, B, and C. The easiest way for me is the front visor for the driver is longer on the c and doesn't have slits. The extra front armor is not the distinguishing factor.

Roy