Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 06-03-2009, 11:25 AM
vBench

Thumbs up Black & Whites

Name:  legionar.gif
Views: 3046
Size:  1.3 KBLoved the B&W photos...
and the work in color, overall is a 10 for me,
and the interior, motor and I can go on and on...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2009, 06:51 PM

Great work on the engines, very convincing, you pretty much nailed them.

Best regards,
Curtis
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Vbench

This is outstanding, Ian. I look forward to seeing it progress.

Cheers
Scott Fraser
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2009, 01:42 AM
Brokeneagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost legionar View Post
Attachment 1912Loved the B&W photos...
and the work in color, overall is a 10 for me,
and the interior, motor and I can go on and on...
Thanks L.Legionare, I appreciate the 'creds'

Curtis, I still have the main engine to finish, thanks for posting.

Scott, thanks, more to come soon.

Beagle.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:24 AM
vBench

Awesome Build Hilly ! I was hoping to see you at Expo for a bit of a chin wag .

An oldie but not so much a goody
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf4xwsZEpus
Morris Minor and the Majors `Stutter Rap `
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Brokeneagle

Sorry we couldn't catch-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plushy View Post
Awesome Build Hilly ! I was hoping to see you at Expo for a bit of a chin wag .
Hi James, sorry I wasn't at expo, i'm pretty sick with hooping cough/flu. Maybe next time.

Beagle.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:49 PM
vBench

Quote:
I have had quite a time considering what colors to go for on this vehicle. Obviously it is mostly red primer, however there are a lot of other tones and shades in thes B+W photos that need to be considered to get a more interesting result. I am certainly not the B+W guru and the choices I am going with are based around what I think it looks like, as well as what would be suitable, interest wise, on a scale model.
the vehicle is surrounded by vehicles with which we KNOW the color so I will start there.
I want to start my first post by saying that you've done an excellent job on this monster. That being said, here is my 2 cents on the subject of interpreting colors from B&W photos:

It's impossible to do so. Color values cannot be determined by comparing how light and dark they appear. The amount and angle of light reflecting off a surface, dust, grime, wear etc., all have an effect on what is captured on film. Even comparing B&W with color cannot be an accurate guide. Not to mention, vehicles painted at different facilities varied in the color of the base coat. This is because RAL 840 was only a guide. There was no set standard for the actual color. Different paint manufacturers would supply their own variations of the same pigment.

Quote:
While rumaging through my Jentz and Doyle book on the King Tiger I found three more photo's that had been right under my nose. They were of the KT with the broken barrell photographed at Haustenbeck but the edges shoed a beautiful angle of the vehicle next to it, the right Grille side. I only had the patchwork shot of this from inside the building but these photos capture the tones without the harsh glare off the panels, so they must have been taken at a different time of day. These were the shots that finally convinced me to go for the overpsrayed yellow on the upper sides and front. Now I suppose that this still could be a build-up of dust from inside the building but the photo from the start of my post that shows the vehicle from the upper rear , once it had been pulled outside, has water inside the interior and no dust left. It seems that while it was outside the vehicle was probably exposed to rain and this should have washed away the dust going by the size of the puddles in the rear interior.
Again, don't go by what you think you see in B&W photos. One has to take into consideration as to what kind of film was used, ie, high/low contrast, what the film speed was, filters used and so on. I can tell you firsthand that, being assigned to a mechanized infantry unit in Germany during the early 1980's, when a vehicle gets covered in a coat of dust/dirt/mud, no amount of rain will wash the stuff off completely. The vehicle will still be covered with a film of residue which alters the visible color of the camouflage paint covered by this crap.

Also, the only authorized color for primer used on vehicles was RAL 8012 (Rotbraun/Blutrot). Here are a couple sites which can be of use:

http://www.afrikakorps.org/ralcolors.htm

http://www.auradesign.eu/CCWH_en.htm

http://www.panzerworld.net/colours

http://www.matadormodels.co.uk/tank_...ww2germany.htm

In addition, Jentz, in "Germany's Tiger Tanks-VK45.02 to Tiger II", page 138, provides info on paint schemes and other related minutae.

Once again, I think you did a fantastic job!

Last edited by SfanGoch; 07-14-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2009, 07:48 AM
Brokeneagle

Thank youfor your post

I agree with nearly everything you have said, which is why I have maintained throughout this build that this is purely guess work based around previous knowledge. I just enjoy trying to come up with a feasible paint scheme. In answer to you Primer statement, there are current discussions afoot amongst the German armour community (based on color photos) of a possible light grey primer used in the last stages of the war in Europe. Based on these pictures and the discussions, I have introduced the grey as a possibility , that is all. It was also meant to be a little controversial too i suppose.
I understand all the factors that influence the pictures but I had to come up with something so that I could paint the model. I also wanted to push the norm a touch and enjoy using my experience with some deduction.
By no means gospil but certainly a possible paint scheme.
Thanks
Old 07-15-2009, 08:43 AM
vBench

I'm in agreement with you with everything, especially regarding paint schemes. If you saw the KT with the lame camo in the same section of the book, it looks like anything went at that point of the war. Therefore, nobody can say that your scheme isn't accurate. Sez who?!? Like Casey Stengel once said, "You can look it up. It's in the book."
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Brokeneagle

update - progress

OK it's been a while but I have been working steadily.
I have replaced the radiator sides with King Tiger resin engine bay sidewalls from VP.

I have added engineer chalk markings above the wheels on the hull sides and attached and painted the wheels.
The interior has started to get some of the detail parts as well as some more paint and wear and tear, dirt etc. I also added some corrosive chemical spill damage just to keep it interesting. I have added a bit more weathering and factory wear so as to make the subject interesting as I will have to enjoy it for a long time. I don't want it to be boring.

I attacked my Academy Tiger with the interior to add the brake and steering levers, as well as the internal shock absorbers and some typical KING tiger wall detail. I put nuts and bolts around the place and some papers and instruction notes that the engineers have dropped as they fled the facility.

I put some nuts and bolts back into the top plate as well as the maind body plate as you would when assembling so that you dont loose them.
I added the 'half driven' pin at the rear, in the hub for the lifting frame.I also added the bolt headed track tensioner as well as drilling out the hole on the one on the other side at the rear (as per the photo).

Asyet I have not attachedthe top front superstructure as I still have the engine bay to finish. Same with the left hand folding armor side.

And I also made the concrete base floor that it will be sitting on.....

Last edited by brokeneagle; 09-05-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Reply With Quote top