Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 08-27-2008, 03:27 AM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to Markus
Iīve got the Friul ones and will take some pics later on, together with some measurements.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2008, 04:12 AM
vBench

Ok, I confess, I couldnīt wait .
Here are the pics:
Friul vs. DML Marder II

For the measurements I sanded away the casting plug and the seams.
Results are:

DML Friul
Width with Pin 9,06; without 8,5 / with Pin 9,53; without 8,76
Length 3,94 / 3,83
Guide Horn 1,97 / 2,01

Strange thing is that I got different measurements than Lawrence when measuring the guide horn height of the DML tracks.
And it looks as the Friul tracks arenīt bad either. I checked them on the sprocket wheel of the Tamiya Wespe and the fit is actually pretty good.

Last edited by Markus; 08-27-2008 at 05:02 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2008, 10:23 AM
vBench

Quote:
Funny! I thought the same thing about finishing my Pz. II as #216... Untill I saw those markings on the decalsheet. It is an atractive and colorfull scheme but not very original. On the website www.profils.tk you'll find a special Pz. II section with a lot of side profiles for inspiration. Instead of #216 I'm now thinking about 'IN3*'.

For the conical bolts, I don't know a manufacturer for these things. I was hoping for Scale Hardware to jump in. But up till now they don't produce them. Maybe you could try to make one from solid brass, pressing it in soft epoxy-putty and then make the conical bolts by pressing ends of hot sprue in the hole?
Erik, thanks for the link. There are some good stuff there and Laurent Lecocq has obviously done his reasearch to accurately depict the variant and features of each vehicle.

IN3 is a good choice. I considered it as well but didn't want the hassle of hunting for the decals. Unfortunately the photos I have seen of 216 and IN3 are from the rear and I can't tell if they were uparmoured.

For the conical bolts, I might just cut them off the spare unused armour plates.

LQ

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2008, 10:38 AM
vBench

Quote:
This all begs the question -if the tracks on the Tamiya are the right size and the idler is wrong, and the number of track links to make a correct length is now off because of the smaller idler-where does the extra fit? Also how where the measurements made- by Marco and Laz- do you guys have a digital or analog caliper
James, the idler in the kit is too small. I corrected by making it larger. Tamiya provides link and length tracks that fit perfectly for the original incorrect smaller idler. I am not sure if I need to add an extra link as a result of the larger idler. The good thing is Tamiya does provide some spare single links.

Not sure what calipers Marco uses (I think digital?) but mine is analog and good down to 0.05mm

Markus, thanks for the measurements and I added it to the comparison table.

I don't have the DML tracks. Maybe Marco can re-check? I measure the height of the guide horn from the inside face of the link.

To summarise
............................Width................. Length........... Guide horn height
Tamiya................. 8.6mm............... 3.6mm............ 1.7mm
Modelkasten......... 8.5mm............... 3.9mm............ 2.1mm
DML..................... 8.5mm................3.94m... ..........1.84mm
Bronco..................8.4mm................3.9mm .............2.1mm
Friulmodel.............8.76mm..............3.83mm. ...........2.01mm

Actual Pz II link..... 8.57mm............. 3.62mm........... 1.71mm

Could you also make some measurements of the Wespe sprockets for comparison? And also count the number of teeth. The Pz II and Wespe shared the same sprockets. If that is the case then the Fruils should fit the Pz II as well.

LQ

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2008, 12:11 PM
vBench

Hey Lawrence,
no problem.
The Wespe sprocket has 25 teeth, the measurements are:
20,95mm width (inbetween teeth)
tooth-tooth 2,85mm,
between teeth ca. 1,2mm

So, itīs not the same sprocket.
Differences are the width, teeth and the Wespe sprocket misses the holes between the screws as you can see on my pic of it.

The DML Marder II sprockets both have the same measurements (one with, one without the holes on the outer ring) and 25 teeth:
20,9 mm width
tooth-tooth 2,78
between teeth 1,16mm
The Friul tracks fit on those while the fit isnīt perfect.
If you need them, I can take pics of the wheels.

P.S. Measurements taken with a digital caliber.

Last edited by Markus; 08-27-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2008, 01:10 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfaust View Post
This all begs the question -if the tracks on the Tamiya are the right size and the idler is wrong, and the number of track links to make a correct length is now off because of the smaller idler-where does the extra fit? Also how where the measurements made- by Marco and Laz- do you guys have a digital or analog caliper
or was it done by eye and a ruler? If done by eye the measurements can't be trusted.
I have both digital and analog calipers...the Bronco's & DML's PzII Track Links data are measured by both calipers in same reading...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2008, 01:15 AM
vBench

Thanks for the update on the use of calipers- they are on the to get list for me in the future.

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2008, 04:08 PM
vBench

Hi Lawrence,

I think the conical bolts you point at in the sprue picture are to small. I measured one of the conical bolts from a scaled down picture of the frontal armor and found out these bolts have a diameter of approximatly 0.9 mm. The ones on the Tamiya parts are around 0.6 mm...

Could you tell my the diameter of the bolts you've used on the transmission covers and on the towing hooks?

Erik
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2008, 09:22 AM
vBench

Quote:
Hi Lawrence,

I think the conical bolts you point at in the sprue picture are to small. I measured one of the conical bolts from a scaled down picture of the frontal armor and found out these bolts have a diameter of approximatly 0.9 mm. The ones on the Tamiya parts are around 0.6 mm...

Could you tell my the diameter of the bolts you've used on the transmission covers and on the towing hooks?

Erik
Erik
The bolts on the towing hooks are 0.8mm and the transmission cover 1.1mm

Lawrence

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2008, 01:08 PM
vBench

Lawrence,

Thanks! I ordered a set of those Modelkasten bolts yesterday. One more question; did you build some interior details in the air vents on the engine deck?

Oh... Thank you for the picture of 'IN3*'!

Erik
Reply With Quote top