Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 08-25-2008, 11:51 AM
vBench

Hi Lawrence,

Your Pz. II looks great already! Do you know which markings you are going to use?

Have you concidered to replace the conical bolts from the ad-on armorplates with ones from Modelkasten? I have got the kit also and found out that these bolts should be around 0.9 mm in diameter. That's almost twice as big as the ones on the plastic parts.

Greets,

Erik
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2008, 12:32 PM
vBench

Hi Erik

Thanks. I have no idea on the markings as yet. I picked up the Bison decals 35065 and 35077 but only two of the markings are suitable for an uparmoured Pz II with split hatch. Photos of both can be found in Panzer Colours II. I am also considering #216 from the kit decals. I am open to any suggestions. Please feel free to post photos here.

Quote:
Have you concidered to replace the conical bolts from the ad-on armorplates with ones from Modelkasten? I have got the kit also and found out that these bolts should be around 0.9 mm in diameter. That's almost twice as big as the ones on the plastic parts.
I was trying to slip that in but your sharp eyes foiled me . Actually, I think the MK bolts are too large. I used them as I had them handy. Any idea who makes smaller ones?

LQ

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2008, 08:01 PM
vBench

Nice details added...keep it up
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2008, 08:49 PM
vBench

Hi Lawrence, very nice and clean build as usual.
By the way, I suspect that 260mm track is from Pz.I c. I think 300mm track was common for Pz.II A,B,C and we don't know which company makes the best PzII track till we measure 300mm track IMHO.
It's also interesting that the Achtung Panzer No.7 states that the sprocket wheel of Pz.II has 25 teeth(p.60). I bet this book might be the culprit for Dragon's sprocket wheel.

Wonsug

Last edited by Wonsug Jung; 08-26-2008 at 07:32 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2008, 10:52 AM
vBench

Wonsug

Yes you are correct. The PzKpfw I used the 260mm track and the PzKpfw II used 300mm track. I mixed up the measurements for both PzKpfw I and PzKpfw II track links. Both track links are identical in design and the only difference is the width.

The correct measurements are:

To summarise
............................Width................. Length........... Guide horn height
Tamiya................. 8.6mm............... 3.6mm............ 1.7mm
Modelkasten......... 8.5mm............... 3.9mm............ 2.1mm
DML..................... 8.5mm................3.94m... ..........1.84mm
Bronco..................8.4mm................3.9mm .............2.1mm
Actual Pz II link..... 8.57mm............. 3.62mm........... 1.71mm

I have edited previous posts with the correct measurements. Thanks for noticing

LQ

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2008, 01:56 PM
vBench

So Tamiya is an obvious winner
Jan
Old 08-26-2008, 03:53 PM
vBench

Send a message via Skype™ to panzerflix
What about Friulmodel Atl-30 PanzerII/Wespe tracks?

best
pawel
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2008, 04:12 PM
vBench

Hi Lawrence,

Quote:
I am also considering #216 from the kit decals. I am open to any suggestions. Please feel free to post photos here.
Funny! I thought the same thing about finishing my Pz. II as #216... Untill I saw those markings on the decalsheet. It is an atractive and colorfull scheme but not very original. On the website www.profils.tk you'll find a special Pz. II section with a lot of side profiles for inspiration. Instead of #216 I'm now thinking about 'IN3*'.

For the conical bolts, I don't know a manufacturer for these things. I was hoping for Scale Hardware to jump in. But up till now they don't produce them. Maybe you could try to make one from solid brass, pressing it in soft epoxy-putty and then make the conical bolts by pressing ends of hot sprue in the hole?

Greets,

Erik
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2008, 07:52 PM
vBench

This all begs the question -if the tracks on the Tamiya are the right size and the idler is wrong, and the number of track links to make a correct length is now off because of the smaller idler-where does the extra fit? Also how where the measurements made- by Marco and Laz- do you guys have a digital or analog caliper

or was it done by eye and a ruler? If done by eye the measurements can't be trusted.

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP

Last edited by James Tainton; 08-26-2008 at 07:55 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2008, 07:57 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerflix View Post
What about Friulmodel Atl-30 PanzerII/Wespe tracks?

best
pawel
I've got a set on order with Rainbow Ten- I'll post a pic or two when they arrive.

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top