Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 08-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Another Modeler

Send a message via MSN to serpico Send a message via Yahoo to serpico
One possible solution might be to use the adjustable idler with the SK 60 set...I have this set for my Wespe. Adjust the idler so it's slightly more pointing down, this might allow the Tamiya tracks to fit around the idler wheels.

The track hole sizes are probably holding up the proper fit of the sprockets....or the teeth are to wide spaced?

Or, buy some Fruil sprockets? Or, remove the idler corrected plastic? hehe

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2008, 10:43 AM
vBench

Quote:
BTW, I wonder if Paul Owen will actually finish his build, ...when was a model last completed by him? Must be more than a decade.
I think I'm not too far behind and getting close to ten years myself. Paul, I'm rapidly closing in your track record

Quote:
Aww, you order two sets of MK tracks only to find such problems with them. Nice detailed comparison. So what is your plan now? Does the MK set come with sprockets?
Siim, no MK sets do include sprockets. I have a few options - (1) measure up some Bronco tracks to see if they will fit, (2) get some resin ones - I provided detailed meaurements to one company or (3) use Tamiya tracks - the kit includes some extra single links.

Quote:
One possible solution might be to use the adjustable idler with the SK 60 set...I have this set for my Wespe. Adjust the idler so it's slightly more pointing down, this might allow the Tamiya tracks to fit around the idler wheels.

The track hole sizes are probably holding up the proper fit of the sprockets....or the teeth are to wide spaced?

Or, buy some Fruil sprockets? Or, remove the idler corrected plastic? hehe

Paul, the problem are the MK track links are too widely spaced and don't sit between the sprocket teeth.

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2008, 10:49 AM
vBench

Here's a Pz II track link. The measurements in red are actual and the blue represents 1/35 measurements.

To summarise
........................Width............... Length.......... Guide horn height
Tamiya...............8.6mm.............. 3.6mm.......... 1.7mm
Modelkasten....... 8.5mm.............. 3.9mm.......... 2.1mm
Actual Pz II link... 8.57mm............ 3.62mm........ 1.71mm

As you can see the Tamiya link is more accurate dimensionally to the real Pz II track link. However, both Tamiya and Modelkasten links are way too wide.

LQ

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.

Last edited by lquah; 08-26-2008 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Updated with correct measurements
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2008, 07:04 PM
vBench

Thanks for the detailed info!

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2008, 07:49 PM
vBench

Thanks for the detail meaurement of the Pz II Track link...Lawerence

Do you have the DML and Bronce track link for comparision also?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2008, 09:35 PM
vBench

Quote:
Do you have the DML and Bronce track link for comparision also?
No, I don't have DML and Bronco tracks. Appreciate if anyone who has them to post some measurements.

LQ

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2008, 10:12 PM
vBench

Hi Laz, don't have a fancy digital caliper or anything like that and for me to give exact measurements would be a joke using a ruler so all I can offer up is some pics of the four tracks I have for a comparison.The top one is Tamiya, then ModelKasten then DML, and finally Bronco.

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2008, 07:03 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by lquah View Post
No, I don't have DML and Bronco tracks. Appreciate if anyone who has them to post some measurements.

LQ

OK...I have both...so here we go...

To summarise
........................Length.............. Width........... Guide horn height
Tamiya...............8.6mm.............. 3.6mm.......... 1.7mm
Modelkasten....... 8.5mm.............. 3.9mm.......... 2.1mm
DML...................8.5mm...............3.94m... ........1.84mm
Bronco................8.4mm..............3.9mm.... .......2.1mm
Actual Pz II link... 7.43mm............ 3.43mm........ 1.71mm

Cheers,
Marco
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2008, 09:52 AM
vBench

Thanks for pics James and Marco for the measurements.

I made a mistake in the heading and it should be:

To summarise
............................Width................. Length........... Guide horn height
Tamiya................. 8.6mm............... 3.6mm............ 1.7mm
Modelkasten......... 8.5mm............... 3.9mm............ 2.1mm
DML..................... 8.5mm................3.94m... ..........1.84mm
Bronco..................8.4mm................3.9mm .............2.1mm
Actual Pz II link..... 8.57mm............. 3.62mm........... 1.71mm

The Tamiya link is the closest dimensionally to the real track link.

It does look like the Bronco link is very very similar to the MK links.

That narrows down my options to either (1) use the kit tracks or (2) wait for a set of resin tracks that is getting mastered now.

In the meantime, I will put that decision aside and move along with my build.

Thanks again guys
LQ

Last edited by lquah; 08-26-2008 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Updated with correct measurements
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2008, 10:30 AM
vBench

On to the rest of the Pz II. Save for the tracks, the build is 95% complete.

It's a nice little kit and all it needs are some simple tweaks. I made some notes in the photos on the things I did and hopefully it's useful for future Pz II builders.

Distinguishing between the Ausf A, B and C is very difficult as most of the differences are internal. Tamiya provides different visor covers to differentiate bewteen the Ausf A/B and Ausf C. I decided to build an Ausf A/B and the instructions clearly tells you which visor covers to use.

The fit of the armour plates around the superstructure needs some work as does the turret splash guard.

Paul Owen over on TL has build ongoing and he covers the engine compartment detail, side armour plates and the weld seams on the front add-on armour.
http://www.track-link.net/forum/site_blogs/9398

I tried to keep my build as simple as possible and just added two AM items - an Armorscale barrel and Adler's Nest antenna.

Fitting the AN antenna required some minor surgery. The Tamiya antenna part was drilled out and the front and rear covering was removed. The AN antenna was then glued in and the covers added back.

One thing I haven't figured out is the front fuel filler cap. The turret gets in the way and it seems like the only way to open it is for the turret to be removed. Is this correct or did Tamiya make a boo boo?

All comments welcomed as usual

LQ

Reply With Quote top