Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Community > planetArmor General

planetArmor General General and Off Topic

Old 08-23-2008, 12:18 AM
vBench

Tristar kit

Has anyone built the new Tristar Brummbar- how is the fit of the upper panels- I read something over on ML that the fit is a bit tricky? And like this poster- not to start a flame war- I just want to know if there is anything to watch out for when I go to buy/and build mine.Thanks
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207...mmbar+(early)+!
Quote:
I am curious abt the Perth review for The Tristar Brumbar.. Not to start a flame war, But a model buddy of mine who built the kit for the importers which was displayed at the Nats, Advised the superstructure didnt fit well at all. Was this kit actually built for the review ? He advised that it was near impossible to get the plates to line up.As a matter a fact,Unless you align the plates perfectly, The roof will not fit at all. And this guy is a pretty accomplished modeler.Having seen the finished build up close and I would have have to agree. Curious as to what Tristar was thinking. There is no need for the superstructure to be molded this way. The extra detail is marginal an not worth the effort in my opinion. I am sure I will be attacked to protect reputations, But I call it as actually saw it...

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2008, 07:53 AM
vBench

James is a flamer!! Flamer, flamer, flamer .

I've found all the Tristar kits needing good basic skills and needing a lot of attention on all joints, so it comes as no surprise to hear this about the Brummbar.
Just something to keep in mind is all (I had to re-build part of my Pkw I when I trimmed away part of the hull thinking it was mold flashing) and a lot more test fitting than DML.

Life's so very funny, you just need to remember to laugh [note to the clowns].

Why would the clowns not let people into the tent? What's the point of the show if they don't? .
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2008, 09:17 AM
Metalhead #1

Send a message via MSN to skeletondude
C'mon guys, quality comes at a price.
Anyways, if I ever get to choose between Tristar and Dragon, and I want a really good detailed model, I choose Tristar, for an OOB build, Dragon.(No offence to the DML fans here.)

Marek
Old 08-23-2008, 11:30 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletondude View Post
C'mon guys, quality comes at a price.
Anyways, if I ever get to choose between Tristar and Dragon, and I want a really good detailed model, I choose Tristar, for an OOB build, Dragon.(No offence to the DML fans here.)

Marek
Thanks Marek and Coops but I really just want to stay on topic on this question of the Tristar Brummbar. I would like to hear descriptions from, and see photos of, people's builds of this kit. Both manufactures have good and bad point about their products. I don't want it to degenerate into a debate about which is better-like a PC versus Mac debate!

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2008, 12:01 PM
vBench

Hi James

I have so far built three superstructures and all three went together well. There is a little locating tab on the rear plate which I removed. All you need then is a flat surface to work on.

There's a couple of tricky areas and the superstructure is not one of them.

I took some photos of them a while back and I will post them when I find them.

LQ

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2008, 12:22 PM
vBench

OK I found them

Ignore the roof on the right superstructure. I was mucking about with thinning the roof. The superstructure on the left has the roof prvided in the kit.

LQ

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Another Modeler

Send a message via MSN to serpico Send a message via Yahoo to serpico
LQ,

Looking at the third photo down, it looks like there's a top plate overhang? Is that correct or am I seeing something not really there.....I noticed a shadow under the top plate where it meets the front side plate..

It looks to me as though the top corner doesn't line up with the triangular side plate?

Looks like a nicely detailed kit though...

Just curious about the assembly.

Cheers, Paul

Last edited by serpico; 08-23-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2008, 03:08 PM

You might find this interesting:

http://www.militarymodelling.com/for...0&cp=1&v=6&sp=
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2008, 11:12 PM
vBench

I wish I would have read this post before I went to the hobby shop today.

I should have waited for the early DML Sturmpanzer, as Tristar kits end up being about $25.00 to $30.00 more than Dragon/DML kits here in Canada.

I have not started to assemble the kit yet. But just at first look the tracks are going to require more work than Dragon magic tracks.

On the cover of the box it states a figure in included, mine did not include a figure nor do the instructions mention a figure what so ever.

This is the first Tristar kit in there Panzer IV series that I have purchased, and probably the last.

"The squeaky wheel doesn't always get the grease.... often it gets replaced."
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2008, 11:58 PM
vBench

Paul

The overhang is a feature of early 1.Series Stupa and should be there. Don't shave it off!

Quote:

I wish I would have read this post before I went to the hobby shop today.

I should have waited for the early DML Sturmpanzer, as Tristar kits end up being about $25.00 to $30.00 more than Dragon/DML kits here in Canada.

I have not started to assemble the kit yet. But just at first look the tracks are going to require more work than Dragon magic tracks.

On the cover of the box it states a figure in included, mine did not include a figure nor do the instructions mention a figure what so ever.

This is the first Tristar kit in there Panzer IV series that I have purchased, and probably the last.
Rod
$25-$30 more is very expensive. I don't know the pricing mechanism in Canada but the prices in HK for both DML and Tristar kits are similar. You may wish to consider buying online from HK.

The Tristar tracks are snap fit but require to be removed from the sprue. It's not a big deal for me as you have to do that even with Modelkasten tracks. DML magic tracks do not come attached to the sprue and are not workable. It's a personal choice I think.

And I don't think the box states that a figure is included. The box art has a figure painted in but it doesn't say it comes with a figure. Is there a different box art for Canada?

The Stupa is a better kit than the previous IVs. The chassis is a single tub as opposed to multipart. I did a detailed comparison of both kits a while back and in summary, the DML slaps together better but not as accurate. The Tristar kit has better accuracy but is fiddly to put together. So it really depends on what you are looking for.

Lawrence

Reply With Quote top