Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 12-22-2007, 05:38 PM
vBench

Hi Fletcher,

Very interesting kit. Painting and weathering of such a large surface would be a challenge...

Btw, I wonder if the swastikas for the Finnish plane shouldn't be blue?

Mateusz

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Vbench

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamigawa View Post
. . . There appear to be more decal option than there are schemes in the instructions. Nice, but I wish I knew what they were.
Nope, what you see is what you need.

BUT! While the German markings look okay, the Finnish ones are just plain wrong! The Finnish harakristi was BLUE, not black. (ouch!) If I had to offer a reference, I'd suggest FS595b 35183 is a reasonable match. Moreover, there are photos of ST-112 and a line drawing in the book Suomen Ilmavoimen Lentokoneet 1939-1972, Tietotos 1977. In them the serial does not have the hollow '2'. Also, to my eye, the serials are too narrow, not quite the unique font style used by the Ilmavoimat in WW2.

The scheme for the Legion Condor Storch is also moot. I can't see the colour callouts, but the upperssurfaces should be overall RLM 63 Graugrün with RLM 65 Hellblau undersides. The white wingtips are on both the top and bottom of the wings. Judging from photos, the St.Andrew's Cross on the underside looks to be too short and not wide enough. It should touch the aileron hinge line and reach the front of the forward spar behind the leading edge. The insignia on the uppersurfaces cannot be seen, but it does not necessarily mirror that of the underside. The six Fieslers sent to Spain arrived in 1938, by which time 'national' insignia for Legion Condor aircraft had been standardized to a white St.Andrew's Cross within a black disk, and I have seen the Storch illustrated with that style of insignia. Photos appear in Legion Condor — A History of the Luftwaffe in the Spanish Civil War by Karl Ries and Hans Ring, Schiffer 1992.

This is close to home for me. I build aircraft for many years, and in the 1990s had my own decal company, producing decals for WW2 aircraft. I researched and produced decals for at least a dozen types from the Ilmavoimat and seven or eight from the Legion Condor and Ejército del Aire. I have long had a soft spot for Finnish aircraft, and I screamed when I saw the black harakristi — in fact my neighbour phoned, and I had to persuade him that I wasn't being murdered.

That aside, this looks like a lot of fun. I'd suggest shelving it for a few months while the aftermarket brigade tool up, and then there should be tons of detailing parts to busy up the cockpit and more decal options. The Fi-156C served in Spain and on all fronts with the Luftwaffe throughout WW2, and was supplied to Romania, Hungary, Italy, Bulgaria, Croatia, Slovakia and Finland. It was sold to Switzerland, Jugoslavia, Sweden and even the USSR. Postwar, it was used by Sweden, Finland, France, Jugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, Greece, Italy, Spain, Poland, Norway, and others. The French fitted it with a radial engine and built it as the M.S.500. Armeé de l'Air aircraft that remained in Indochina after the French pulled out were handed off to Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. Quite the airplane!

In terms of building this puppy, watch the length of the landing gear struts. Under load (on the ground) they compressed some 18" and the wheels bent outwards, so it looked very different than it did in the air. There are lots of warbirds still around, so there are ample photos to use as a guide.

Cheers
Scott Fraser

Last edited by greybeard; 12-23-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2007, 06:13 PM
vBench

G'day Scott,
Good post .
Coops

Life's so very funny, you just need to remember to laugh [note to the clowns].

Why would the clowns not let people into the tent? What's the point of the show if they don't? .

Last edited by Coops; 12-23-2007 at 08:42 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2007, 06:53 PM
vBench

Quote:
Painting and weathering of such a large surface would be a challenge...
On the contrary, it should be fun! Lots of opportunity for the airbrush. :P

Quote:
Btw, I wonder if the swastikas for the Finnish plane shouldn't be blue?
Yep, absolutely right. I'm not sure why I didn't notice that. Seems like a very basic thing for tristar to miss. Scott, thanks for the enlightening post.

On the condor legion ac, the instructions call out for "RLM Dark Green", or Tamiya XF-61. Not sure what that would be in RLM numbers. The St. Andrews cross does touch the aileron hinge, but fall about 3.5-4mm too short of the leading edge. Great interior pic, have any more?

OK, OK, I'll start it this evening.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Vbench

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamigawa View Post

. . . On the Condor Legion a/c, the instructions call out for "RLM Dark Green", or Tamiya XF-61. Not sure what that would be in RLM numbers.
RLM 63 was a medium grey-green, not too far removed from the Feldgrau colour used for Wehrmacht uniforms. Before the war it was a common colour for the uppersurfaces, and later became the base colour for the pre-war splinter used on German bombers — with RLM 61 Dunkelbrun and RLM 62 Grün. The same shade (but not the same paint) was used as primer for aircraft interior, and as a primer it was labelled RLM 02.

Quote:
The St. Andrews cross does touch the aileron hinge, but fall about 3.5-4mm too short of the leading edge.
Easy enough to fix with a white undercoat and some tape strips.

Quote:
Great interior pic, have any more?
Alas, no, not any more. However Hasegawa has had a 1/32 scale kit out for decades, and there are lots of articles in the modelling press about superdetailing it. There are enough warbirds flying about and not a few examples in museums that I'm sure somewhere there are walkarounds.

http://ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/20...tail_fi156.htm - of course

http://www.s205409446.onlinehome.us/...ch/walk222.htm

http://fi156storch.8m.net/FI156.htm - awesome stuff here

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/Work...ch/storch.html - 1/32 scale vBlog

http://largescaleplanes.com/Referenc...56_Storch.html - Charles has done a good job of listing references

http://largescaleplanes.com/Walkarou...orchBMW_1.html

http://dragonslair.x-y.net/fi156.htm

http://www.dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?p=144

If you're looking for more, this is the best place to ask: http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Cheers
Scott

Last edited by greybeard; 12-22-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2007, 07:28 AM
vBench

Interest subject...Go to build it...Fletcher Love to see it
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2007, 09:57 AM
panamadan

Fletch, Please bring it to the next meeting. Dan
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2007, 10:40 PM

I'm fortunate to live near enough to Fantasy of Flight located in Lakeland, Florida and they have a restored and flyable storch in their collection. One of Kermit Weeks (the owner) demonstarions is to take it off on an insanely short runway, head it into the wind and make it hover over the field. The very reason it made such a great observation platform.

This is a really nice airplane with some cool innovations in the wing design. I have a bunch of photos of it somewhere, I'll see if I can find them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2007, 11:50 AM
vBench

That'd be great renarts.

well, I had done a step by step photo ducumentary of the first 5 steps, but........my damn computer got a virus and blew it's top yesterday. Everything gone, and I hadn't backed up for a year. Due to the swiftness of the crash, I suspect the virus targeted the OS and probably left the slave F drive alone. This is where almost all of my stuff was (only programs and some school work on the C) so when I get a new computer (without Vista :P) maybe I'll be able to hook it up and get some stuff off of it.

really shitty luck.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:57 AM
vBench

Bummer. Hope it gets fixed soon I was really wanting to see this one.