Old 01-09-2013, 08:01 PM
vBench

Tamiya 35065

Hello everyone,
Not sure where to post this question, but here goes.
I purchased a Tamiya 35065 Panther kit off ebay for a good price before i really researched the kit. After the fact I'm hearing that it's a pretty out-dated kit. If by this it means i'll have the oppurtunity to scratch-build alot of accesories, that i'll have to do without the luxuries of photoetched parts, individual link tracks, fancy surface textures, and even accurize the kit by having to narrow or widen certain sections, then i'm all in...i'd love that kind of challenge. But if it means the model is grossly inaccurate and simply not possible to build a high-tech representation of Panther, then i'd like to know.
Does anyone know of a good list of the major problems with the kit? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2013, 12:04 PM

It's a very old kit

Hi

It's a very old kit and does Tamiya no favours in respect to the quality of their recently released kits. It does however keep selling due to its cheapness and unknown accuracy or lack of it, to new modellers. This is quite a common practise by Tamiya, keep old kits going long after their "best before date" maybe get a new boxart picture done, chuck in some third rate figures and call it a new release. As I said it does them no favours because the brand new stuff of the last few years is more accurate, well engineered and goes together really well and can be recommended.

With most kit purchases I research the kit before buying, and this counts even more so for certain manufactures, like Tamiya. Even so, all, and yes it does mean "all" manufacturers get it wrong sometimes and produce a lemon.

Getting back to the Panther, nearly everything about this kit is wrong. It was originally designed to be motorised so the hull is too wide. The turret is out of shape because of this, too wide, too tall and the sides to vertical. I think the idler wheel has teeth for the old motor drive, but they may have replaced that.

If you want to invest time in it nobody can stop you and its entirely down to you if you enjoy that but personally I'd rather save some extra money and buy a better example.

Hope it helps.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2013, 12:21 PM

Smile

This was once Tamiya's motorized and even remote controlled model, so it's out of shape to what the real Panther tanks dimensions were, in 1/35th. If I remember right, the rear idler STILL has "teeth" or is sprocket like so that the it propelled the tank from the rear.

It would be good to practice with but don't throw too much money or time at it.

~ Jeff
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2013, 05:20 PM
vBench

"Tanks" guys!

Thanks for the info guys. It still sounds really do-able and like something I'd enjoy. The "teeth" issue could cause me some problems...I'll need to wait and see. I'm not concerned with hyper-accuracy, never have been. For me its more about the model having the right "look" and stance. With that comes a high degree of accuracy, but if an inaccurate area is something that I can hide then I can live with it. If its about proportion, as it sounds like that is the major deal with the Tamiya kit in quesiton, thats another ball of wax, but it sounds like it's fairly easily fixed.
For the record, I've never been a fan of Tamiya kits and have never understood what all the hubb-bubb was about them. They are nice kits, dont get me wrong, but I've found as good or better quality from many lower priced domestic (US) kit manufacturers. The Dragon Pz. IV I'm currently working on, while not a US kit, blows any Tamiya I've built out of the water and for the same price. On the other hand, the Maquette STZ T-34 I'm also working on is like comparing a Tamiya to the Dragon, and for the same price or more.

Thanks for the info guys!

Last edited by TankDan; 01-10-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2013, 03:40 AM
vBench

got my kit

Hey guys,
I got my kit today, and I kinda see what you're talking about. Firstly though, I'm surprised at how large a tank it really is. Even with the dimensions corrected, it dwarves a T-34 or Sherman. I had assumed it was close in overall size to a Panzer IV, but it appears significantly larger than that tank as well.
I'll admit I've never really tried scaling something...like I dont know how to measure specific plates or sections to know what their dimensions should be, but I can see the width is about 4mm too wide, and this does alter the dimensions of nearly every part of the model. The lower hull, while clumsy, would be super-easy to scratch build more accurately. The turret is about 4mm too wide also, however the angles appear to be correct from what I can tell. The angle that looks most off is where the rear "quarter" plates attach to the sides, and this angle is wrong as a direct result of the turret being too wide. I'm working from the following drawing I located via google:

Some dimensions do appear to be off, but I think I'll pretty much build it as-is....unless someone has a better drawing to base my measurements off of. This is actually from original documents describing how to build a wooden Panther "decoy", as we all know were used prevelantly by the Allies, however since it seems to be the most "original" source I can locate so far, it's all I have to go on.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2013, 03:45 AM

Nice discussion here and thanks for that.

AWD

my twitter https://twitter.com/#!/alexwence
my 'Attention To Detail' blog: http://scratch-builder.blogspot.com/
Modelers Alliance 'Masters Classes':http://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/alex-de-leon
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2013, 03:13 PM
vBench

You bet Alex....
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2013, 12:19 PM

I know some time in the past Fine Scale Modeler magazine did an article on 'accuratizing' this kit. I think the turret fixing was relatively easy and if your a real stickler for details, you need a set of 'inner' road wheels that the kit does not provide.

It was a September 1990 issue of FSM that featured the conversion.

http://www.finescale.com/en/sitecore...er%201990.aspx

Last edited by sigma-7; 01-14-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2013, 03:29 PM
vBench

Cool sigma-7...yeah, I'd be interested in that info...the inner road wheel thing might be something too that I'd like to add. I shoulda listened...this kit is a basket case! Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2013, 03:36 PM
vBench

I followed the link on your post....got it ordered....thanks!!
Reply With Quote top