Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Community > planetArmor General

planetArmor General General and Off Topic

Old 11-13-2008, 04:48 PM
vBench

Micheal Wittman documentary

I'm just sitting this afternoon working on a couple of panzer IIs and what better thing to have on in the background but a new documentary about the end if Micheal Wittman. It is on History Television Canada and will be repeated tonight. Not sure if you down south will get it, but anyone that can, should check it out. It is being done by the same guy, Norm Christie who did some excellent work about Canadians part in WWI and WWII, as well as a show on Korea.
This series is called Battlefield Mysteries
http://www.history.ca/ontv/titledeta...titleid=116485

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2008, 05:30 PM
vBench

Just reading the Wiki on him. Interesting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2008, 04:32 AM
vBench

just a dumb question:

what's so special about michael wittmann? IMNSHO wittmann is far overrated!

is it his spectacular end or that he was instrumentalized by propaganda which made him so outstandingly famous? is it the aura of being a ss member? is it the timeframe in which he knocked out so much tanks and at-guns?

i can't see the point, sorry!

in my eyes heer members like otto carius, hyazinth graf strachwitz and particularly kurt knispel are far more interesting. the latter mainly because of his character and that he was neither promoted to officer nor received the knights cross for his achievments.

wittmann, barkmann, carius, bölter, strachwitz - all great tank commanders respectively tank force generals (strachwitz) and more or less famous but what about knispel?

don't get me wrong, i don't want to start any flaming but this question is haunting me for a long time and i still haven't found an answer to that!

cheers

Last edited by Kreighshoer; 11-14-2008 at 04:34 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2008, 04:51 AM
vBench

sorry, forgot something

to point out what i am up to: everybody is talking about the horrible dresden bombing in february 1945 but considering the date, the damage and the percentage of deaths the pforzheim air raid was a much bigger desaster than dresden but no one talks about pforzheim besides of even knowing of that far more effective bombing raid!

back to wittmann i just ask myself why it is almost impossible to evade wittmann when there are other people as much if not more interesting?

i would love to see a documentary on one of those i mentioned instead of watching the "whatdoiknowhowmanieth" documentary on wittmann!

cheers
Old 11-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Ebbe Bergman

Send a message via MSN to Ebbe Bergman
Thumbs up Regarding the documentary

James: Thanks for the link you attached. Could not get so much info from it and if I understood it right it is just an information website for the channel not the posibility to see the documentary??

Laura: Nice to see you are back here! Regarding the tons of things emerging about Wittmann in forms of books, paintings, modelkits and so further I think it´s becouse what he did alone in VB. I am not saying Carius is less interesting quite opposit but Carius was never alone but Kerscher helped him out or nearly saved his life during the raid into the village.
When Wittmann attacked VB he forced the Britts to retreat and find another way to take Caen. Carius just attacked a village, knocked out some tanks WITH a second Tiger. Daring yes equal attracting as VB perhaps not, not in peoples general view I guess.
Let´s be honest, Wittmann got his RK becouse he fitted the propaganda. Knispel did not fit into it becouse he was looking so bewilded and Wittmann not only a LSSAH member but also a loyal NS person. So I think it is important to de-link this two things to understand why people are more into Wittmann than Carius for example. Carius and Knispel never died and many people did not claim as the killer. During all years from tanks to planes it has been somewhat dark what made the Tiger explode and the moral impact it made in some extend for the sSSPzAbt 101. Well...just some thoughts about the subject. I am off to continue with my sPzAbt 502 Tiger.
Once again nice to see you back Laura!
Regards
Ebbe

Reply With Quote top