Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 01-03-2015, 06:05 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to canjuaan
Ropi, I'm very confident that if you went away for two more years, you'd still see an unfinished Elefant here

Minor update

This part was the biggest PE challenge in a long time. The falt PE part is only about 6mm long and had to be folded seven (!) times. The pictured angle is only one of the 16 needed for the Ferdinand/Elefant.
The angle served as a fixture for a disassembly crane for the bogie assemblies. Often it is claimed these items held the towing cables, but that's wrong. There were other clasps for the cables.

Some time ago I already gave it a shot and pressed my luck. I failed and came to the conclusion to use plastic card instead. It might seem hard to grasp, but it proved not much less difficult to scratch this simple shape! I just couldn't get it right with the profiles I had at hand. The angle always became too large or too wide. When I tried to cut it down, I mutilated it too badly to be used in the model.
With little hope I turned to the ABER parts for another try. With the help of a much larger paper model I estimated the sequence of bending before breaking any of the tiny PE parts. I also annealed the PE vigorously. This was key to success, I guess now. Other than in most of the "normal" PE bends, the bending in the pictured pieces had to be done around edges so small the notches in the PE were still too sturdy for. Because there's literally nothing to hold on to, the bending cannot be done with fingers, tweezers or knives (my favorite tool). Once again "The Bug" proved its money's worth. Although I got used to the work after a few of the angles, I was very relieved when the tedious work was done.
After finishing the last angle, I made each one look more like one solid piece by obscuring the PE layers showing on each angles' sides with a lump of solder. Of course some pieces need to be revisited again and the clean up is still missing...

Cheers,
Johannes
Old 01-06-2015, 01:13 PM
vBench

Once again a tiny update, this time with an unfamiliar background.

Most of the angles are now fixed to the model. Be careful to only glue them on the hull side wall, NOT the fenders.

Here's the other side. One more angle is going to be fitted in the rear area, while the last two per side are hidden under the fenders.

Unfortunately that's all I can share for now. I'll be gone for some time again. Maybe there'll be news in March.

Thanks for looking,
Johannes
Old 01-06-2015, 04:29 PM
vBench

No rush! We need to process this...
Excellent build (still and always)

The Music
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2015, 08:50 AM
vBench

Hi everybody,

it's almost a travesty to call the following five images an update, but I just want to emit a sign of life. The build is, at a snail's pace, nearing completion.

Other than previously suggested, I've yet decided to add the prominent left fender as well. It is going to be heavily damaged, just as in some of the reference pictures of damaged Ferdinands/Elefants.

Sometimes shrapnels have shredded the sheet metal like Swiss cheese.

Although I managed to achieve solid joints, some have broken because of the use of force to achieve the battle damages.

This process is not yet finished. It is much more difficult than I had originally assumed. First because I have to add the damages on the attached fender on the model. Second because the depiction of realistic combat scars is simply not that easy.

The next update is coming... someday

Cheers,
Johannes
Old 06-10-2015, 03:03 PM
vBench

Great update Johannes, as you stated, producing battle wear on a already attached fender, doesn't sound easy!

Looking forward to your next update.

\Erik
Old 06-10-2015, 11:48 PM
vBench

wow , wow ,wow
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2015, 02:12 PM
Custom User Title

testing for original poster's query on ML

He cannot seem to post?

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47211...etArmor+issues

Build how you like, like how you build.

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2015, 10:43 AM
vBench

You have done a great job on the zimmerit. It looks fantastic. Hope you can get your posting rights resolved.

Roy
Old 09-18-2015, 03:35 PM
vBench

Hi guys,

how are you holding up?

Before I post another update, I want to thank Tony Lee for his support in re-activating my account. He eventually got in contact with Jim Starkweather, now owner of PA. Jim has pushed some buttons and now my account is back, working properly. So thanks again Tony & Jim. Also thank you to those who wrote supportive PMs and messages over at ML!

I did some modelling in the past time, but you haven't missed too much since the last update (which was in fact the last posting I could do).
Here we go:

Damages to the right mud guard and fender are finalized now (cf. last update). Please excuse the bad image quality.

These are the track guards I did before. ABER did a good job. Note: Thorough annealing is key here. Otherwise you'll have a hard time getting the shapes right.

Now they're fixed in place under the sponsons. As much as I applaud ABER for the quality of their PE, the instructions cause a lot of discontempt. Positioning the track guards is one of the many examples where the instructions fail to give proper guidance. Without proper references you can't know where you're supposed to put them exactly.
The green arrows show the final bulges for the boggie maintenance piece. Some of the bulges were welded to the track guards (the ones at the end of the vehicle). You can also make out the weld beads, though they got a little too fat.

As stated before, qualitywise, ABER's top notch. These are the four clamps for the towing cables. The securing pin will be added later. Because the clamps are workable, I can easily put the cables in after painting them separately. Then the pins will be inserted.

This is the spare aerial tube. Because I wanted to depict an opened side, w/o the cap, I used a brass tube. It was drilled out so the wall thickness reached a satisfying look in scale. The PE could then be soldered, which was more complicated than expected. The size and material would make it hard to apply enough heat on the piece. Eventually it worked, though. It doesn't look too nicely, but after a little more cleaning and the first layer of paint it's gonna be alright, I guess.
By the way, this is a rare design of the actual tube holders right here. On most of the Ferdinands/Elefants, the container was simply welded onto three metal stripes which then were bolted to the fender.

The rain gutters were up next. Two "V"-shaped profiles were welded to the front of the superstructure so that rain water wouldn't reach down into the cooling grills etc.
In order to provide more surface for the instant glue to adhere to, I glued two thin Evergreen profile in place. The PE parts were put on top of them. After the glue had cured, I could use plastic glue to soften the plastic beads and do a welding structure. Although there were only a few tiny welds under the gutters in the actual vehicle, I killed two birds with one stone.

As always, some putty was left over after the final Zimmerit application at the superstructure (picture above), so yet another fabric was made. I like it a lot and think of actually putting this one there in the final model.

Another sin was remedied by adding the gap between the extra armor plates.
More missing welds were also added during the process.

Working my way back to the rear. More Zimmerit here, too.

Not the best image I'm afraid: here's the convoy light with its cable and protective cover. The rain guard was not a standard item found at Ferdinands. Only a few had them, according to reference books. Because I'm not doing a specific vehicle, I thought it looked cool and just stuck with it.

The holder for the hammer's head. Weld beads are missing yet.

The tool clap is workable so that the hammer can be painted with ease off the vehicle.

And in the end, here're some impressions of the current state of my Elefant.

As you can see, completion is not far away now. I clearly see the light at the end of the tunnel - and no, it's not another train heading my way

Cheers,
Johannes
Old 09-18-2015, 03:42 PM
vBench

And here's the last bit (fresh from last weekend). Unfortunately, I had only little time, so it's not much of an update. Nevertheless: One more step towards completion!

The bogies are in place now.

Left side.

Parts for the commander's cupola. In the Premium Edition extra PE for this kit, DML offers a nice PE part for the ring. I would have loved to use it instead of the plastic part, but the hatch doesn't fit the PE part! The diameter is too small. I wonder if the guys at DML ever test build their Premium Edition kits...

I will finish the cupola in the next update, also the rear assemblies.

Johannes