Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 02-06-2007, 12:25 PM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to chadperkins
New Project.....

Ok guys, the weather is a bit nippy here in St. Louis so the panther A is going in the display case next to the Tiger II until spring time when I can paint without my hands trimbling (basements can get really cold in winter!). In the mean time, I'm going to continue building with a new project. It's the Dragon Stug IV which I will built as a late, although I have the early kit (supposedly the early kit has the parts to build the late, we'll see). Anyway, I need some help from you guys concerning aftermarket upgrades. I want to redo the fenders and am not sure which of the aber sets, if any, would be appropriate for this vehicle. I'm thinking the 35A81 - Fenders for PzKpfw IV - NEW TYPE would be ok but I would like to hear your thoughts. Also, I'm thinking of getting the early Aber upgrade set since they do not make one for the late, any thoughts on what parts I will be missing that I'll have to make myself? I know the gun shield but what eles? If anyone who has built this or just has a soft spot for Stug IV's and has any great insight into the differences between the early and late that would also be apprciated or any info on the pros and cons of this kit in general. Thanks in advance. I've always wanted to do one of these with the skirts. They just have a really basic simple and rugged appearance.... Not the usual sleak lines of german afv's. Not to mention that beautiful panzer IV running gear!

Last edited by chadperkins; 02-18-2007 at 07:25 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2007, 12:48 PM
vBench

Chad

Nice project. I have a stalled CMK stug IV project and was planning to build with the mesh skirts.

If I remember correctly, the late Stug IVs had a simplified rectangular driver's hatch which necessitated repositioning of the driver's periscopes, late type muzzle brake, remote control loader's MG, thicker front armor, co-axial MG added to Saukopf, squarish radiator filter cover on engine deck, additional handle on right engine door, nahverteidigungswaffe, bogie mount with the top middle two bolts deleted, re-positioned tools and Pz IV ausf J tubular exhausts.

The Aber fenders will be useful as you will need to re-position the tools.

Are you going to add the cement armor as well?

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2007, 12:49 PM

Just a thought but Tristars Panzer IV running gear set would really add to it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2007, 01:03 PM
vBench

hmmm....

that's a lot more stuff than I thought as far as differences go. Could you recommend any references? I will have a hard time positioning tools without a whole lot of photo references. Any thoughts on the return rollers and whether I should go with 3 or 4?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2007, 01:09 PM
vBench

You need Achtung Panzer No 5. It had drawings of all features of a late Stug IV.

Checking it, you will also need to delete the brake cooling ducts, add handles to the hatch, late type tow eye brackets for both front and rear, add track pin push back plate, late return roller, welded tubular idler and only 3 return rollers.

As Chris pointed out the Tristar roadwheels are great but I read that the rubber roadwheel should be wider for a later Pz IV chassis.

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2007, 01:19 PM
vBench

Pricey.....

Not sure I want to drop another $40 on the literature after all these upgrade parts. This kit is already going to be worth it's weight in gold.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2007, 06:22 PM

E-mail me at peaveycm1@juno.com in reference to saving the 40$ !
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2007, 08:52 AM
vBench

Ok, lets' start from the ground up.

I'm working on the running gear for starters so does anyone have any input on how this would differ, if at all, from early to late models? I have both options for the rear idler wheel, which would be appropriate, the flat or rounded version? (I'm building the three return roller version)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2007, 08:58 AM
vBench

one more thing i forgot to mention. the dragon running gear appears to be "moveable" but i'm having a problem with it. when i put on the bogies and try to glue on the round piece that secures them in place, the piece sticking out from the hull that the round piece is supposed to be glued to is too short. there is a gap between the round piece (not sure what to call this) and the hull part to which the bogie is attached. anyone have any idea what i'm talking about i was considering just sanding down the bogie on the outside to make the round piece sit a bit further in but i wanted to ask your opinions first. is this really designed to be moveable or am i trying to do something it's not really made for.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2007, 09:16 AM
vBench

Chad

From Achtung Panzer

Reply With Quote top