Old 01-15-2005, 08:52 PM

All,

I was wondering what the opinions are on priming before base painting? I'm using acrylics and I am planning on sealing the base coats before further weathering. I know a lot of figure painters prime before base coating, so I'm curious if I should do the same on my other models?

Thanks,
Lou
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2005, 01:42 AM

As for me I prime before painting on the base coat and I definitely seal the base coat and any subsequent camouflage paint jobs to protect the finished paint job underneath. To prevent accidental mistake sealing is a must.

KingTiger
Old 01-16-2005, 04:07 AM
vBench

I only prime my models if i have used resin, otherwise not. I use tamiya acrylics and never had any problems using it on bare plastic or photo etch.

Also I never seal the paint up before weathering. Also, this never gave me any problem.I use oils, humbrol enamels and pigment powders to weather my models. Just make sure you let the paint dry completely. After painting I put the model away for about a week before I start the weathering phase.

I want to keep the layer of paint on my models as thin as possible and primer and coats of clear just add another layer, which i do not want.

Cheers

Flip
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2005, 07:20 AM
vBench

I prime everything I build now, it just ties everything up and because I use black, becomes the first step in pre-shading.

Like Flip, I do not use any protective varnishes prior to weathering. I use turponoid with oils, enamels, and weathering powders and never had a problem attacking my acrylic basecoat.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2005, 11:16 PM
Another Modeler

Send a message via MSN to serpico Send a message via Yahoo to serpico
I prime first...I guess just to reveal any flaws in sanding etc. I primed my Mobelwagen with testor's hull red thinking it would liik reaslistic to have some primer showing, but in the end I covered it all with the base coat.

Recently I did my 25 pounder and Quad with white lacquer primer and it did reveal some flaws, but some of my older kits were never primed so who knows?

The top coat is most important to me even on a camo job, but I had to do the camo on the Quad with a brush.

serpico
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2005, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Flip Hendrickx@Jan 16 2005, 05:07 AM
I use oils, humbrol enamels and pigment powders to weather my models. Just make sure you let the paint dry completely. After painting I put the model away for about a week before I start the weathering phase.

I want to keep the layer of paint on my models as thin as possible and primer and coats of clear just add another layer, which i do not want.

Cheers

Flip
I use acrylics for priming and painting and I spray a thin coat of dullcote so I don't have to wait a week and let paint dry before I weather it. Dullcote protects your paint job and it doesn't build up on the plastic. Believe me your details remain crisp and clean.

KingTiger