Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Community > Your important news and kit reviews.

Your important news and kit reviews. Share & Promote ARMOR and other model news. All Kit reviews are welcome here.

Old 01-19-2006, 12:09 AM

This Late production LVT4 was leased by the film makers for use in the Stephen Speilberg/Clint Eastwood production of the movie "Flags of our fathers". This theatrical version of the best selling book by Bradley, tells the story of the group of Marines who raised the flag on Iwo Jima in the famous Joe Rosenthal AP photo taken during the height of the battle of Iwo Jima.

The vehicle is a runner, and belongs to a local private museum in Alton, Il. I have been using the vehicle for the past few years as one of the sources for information for my upcoming series of books on the LVT4.

I will be driving the vehicle in the next couple of weeks, in order to photograph it in the outdoors just outside of the museum building. I asked the museum staff, what it would take to get the vehicle driven outside for photography, they answered that it would take a volunteer with a strong left leg. The foot pedal clutch on this amtrac requires about 90lbs of pressure to operate it properly. I volunteered and hopped in to familiarize myself with the controls and their proper operation, under the guidence of the current 72 year old "volunTOLD" amtrac driver.

Once I demonstrated that I could operate it safetly, I was approved as a temporary driver for the upcoming photo shoot.

If you want to see some video of this vehicle running upon its return, click on the link below.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_articl...?storyid=87039
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2006, 12:56 AM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Awesome Dave,

Bet that was a heck of a lot of fun!

Larry

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2006, 03:55 AM

Send a message via ICQ to mindphaser
You are very lucky man, David

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2006, 09:27 PM
vBench

When is the movie coming out Dave?
Mike
Reply With Quote top