Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Community > planetArmor General

planetArmor General General and Off Topic

Old 05-12-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther F View Post
So what didn't you like about Pearl Harbor?
Pearl Harbor was just horrible. The whole storyline seemed completely farfetched and contrived. And the scene of the actual attack..."Zeros" bombing and strafing AEGIS destroyers? Ugh. In this age of CGI that's the best they could come up with?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2009, 08:55 PM
vBench

Oh curt what about Alec Baldwin?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2009, 01:37 PM
vBench

How about the Angled Flight Deck of the Hornet in Pearl Harbor. I agree, worse than Midway for historical accuracy.

My favs,
Air Force
Longest Day
Tora Tora Tora
Sahara

Short list, there is a longer one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petarted View Post
Oh curt what about Alec Baldwin?
Like Kim Jong Il says: "Arec Baa-rrin: Da grea-est actour in da worrrd!!!!"

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2009, 02:56 AM
vBench

Das Boot, obviusly!

Arild
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2009, 08:14 AM
vBench

Some of my favs include:

Platoon
Hamburger Hill
Das Boot
Guns of Navarone
Force 10 from Navarone
Casualties of War
Flight of the Intruder
Old 05-16-2009, 02:30 PM

A few of mine

Hi

For me the number one is Saving Private Ryan. I'm not ashamed to admit the opening sequence showing the masses of graves and the vet falling to his knees had me weeping like a baby, knowing that these gave their lives for our freedom.

Kelly's Heroes for the lighter side. I also rate Stalingrad, Enemy at the Gates (despite what its detractors say its still a very well done movie.) and Cross of Iron. The Battle of the Bulge I saw in the cinema when it first came out and thought wow, now many years later I view it and cringe.

Where Eagles Dare for the fantastic opening sequence and music - TURN IT UP. That Ju in camo gets me every time.....goose pimples on the back of the neck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XKGh...eature=related
Great storyline.

The Eagle has Landed, another great storyline and excellent acting. Love Larry Hagman getting his just deserts.

Another which I had vaguely remembered seeing many years ago was a Russian film subtitled that I saw in a special showing in London. It must have been some thirty odd years ago and was never on general release in the UK. It was about the battle of Kursk and I remember the fantastic tank battles and the panoramic shots all done before the days of CGI. Through the wonder of the internet I've discovered what this film was and you tube have some extracts from it. Sure the tanks are poor mock ups in some cases etc but the scale of the battle scenes still looks impressive. I remember the T34 roaring along at speed leaping of embankments and crashing straight through trucks. Great cinematography.

Here is a few extracts
Part One
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghXWJ...eature=related

Part Two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_7HN...eature=related

Part Three
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsnCK...eature=related

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2009, 02:05 PM
vBench

Favorite? I dont know, Im going to see this tomorrow at the cinema but it does look promising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbK4WTQFf9U

Cheers

"Bet Kinder bet, morgen kommt der Schwede.
Der Schwede der kommt mit dem morgenstern,
Er frist die kleine Kinder gern."
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2009, 07:05 PM

Also worth watching...

Most of the greats have been covered already. One film worth mentioning is Ich War Neunzehn (I Was Nineteen). This film was made by DEFA the East German film company in 1968 and tells the story of a 19 year old Russian Lieutenant involved in some of the final battles northeast of Berlin in April 1945. The soldier himself was a German whose family had been Communists and emigrated to the Soviet Union when the Nazis came to power. The battle scenes are good and its also interesting from a propaganda angle since it tries to show the genesis of postwar DDR/Soviet "brotherhood." I think you can see the whole thing on youtube...if you have the patience to watch it piece by piece and in German. The movie is based on the true-life experiences of the director, Konrad Wolf. The scenes of the soldier negotiating the surrender of Fortress Spandau are pretty tense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MLwkPKSpT8
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2009, 03:17 PM

Cross of iron

Hi, just found this thread, thought it was very interesting.
I can't believe only one mentioned the most superior war movie of pretty much all time is Cross Of Iron. It relates in the best way the bond between the combatants that I think a lot of us like this type of movie for, in it's best form. In the end, no one fights for a belief; but survival. One of the most accurate in detail; from uniforms to general equipment and location. Having met a few vets from the Eastern Front, they all said it was the most realistic in the interaction and combat they had seen up to that time when I was chatting with them.
My second favorites has to be A Bridge Too far. Excellent production in detail and atmosphere. Again; It helps having known myself someone who was in one of the locations in the movie for real and was one of the last to be brought back on the rubber boats during the retreat - or should i say withdrawal.
And finally of course -Saving Private Ryan. I shouldn't have to describe why on that one.
regards to all
Reply With Quote top