Old 02-10-2008, 01:55 PM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to Markus
German hard-edge camo - way of appliying them in reality

Hey Guys,
I was posting the same question on ML, but as Im not sure about if everyone here reads there as well, I want to ask the same question here:

Is there any actual proof about the use of stencils for camo on german vehicles?
I do know the pics of hard-edge camo on german vehicles and some where I could think about the use of stencils, such as the famous shots of the StuG IV that show circles and Hetzer shots with their camo that COULD have done with stencils, but then Im still not too sure about them beeing painted with stencils as applying stencils would, at least in my mind, be very time consuming compared with just some strokes with an brush.
Now, IF they actually used stencils, would that mean that vehicles produced during the same timeframe, in the same factory would carry exact the same camo-scheme?
Wouldnt life be boring that way .

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Markus
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2008, 02:53 PM
vBench

At a glance- looking at a result from the search function at ML- typing in Hartmut+stencil, (I believe Hartmut von Holdt is pretty well versed with this subject) this thread has some info
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/thread/1158653621/

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2008, 04:14 PM
vBench

Hmm, there are two photos in Jentz Tiger II volume showing recovery methods being tested on two Tiger Bs produced by Henschel very close to each other (nos 280354 and 280356). And these vehicles have different patterns applied to them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2008, 04:55 PM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to Markus
James,
Ive seen this thread, but Im still not too sure about the use of stencils.
Like Evan said, there are vehicles, from the same production batch with hard edge camo that have different schemes.
If they used stencils, that could mean they made one for each vehicle which means they need the time to do so.
As hard edge was introduced when germany hadnt too much time to spend on their vehicles, I doubt it but still everybody can prove me wrong.

Evan,
this is one thing that made me wonder about the use of stencils.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2008, 04:18 AM

Yes they used stencils, both in factories and in the field. See the examples mentioned at ML and also the Bergepanzer III in Panzerwrecks 4.
Another totally different matter is the use of standard (or "factory") camouflage patterns. These can be so similar that the use of a stencil could seem logical (See the 234 late series, Jagdpanzer 38t, Tiger II...) while in other vehicles there is only a overall resemblance of the pattern (Stug III G).
Cheers
Reply With Quote top