Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 06-19-2007, 07:26 PM
vBench

German Tank Hunters 1944 review....

I wrote this review quite some time ago and sent it to another site for posting where it has sat for over two months now with out any action being taken to post it or inform me of any problems with it. So I will post it here instead. As I have several more in the works I will also post them here in the near future.

Kit: German Tank Hunters 1944. Kit #MB3515
Manufacturer: Master Box
Review Type: In the Box
Reviewer: Roy A. Schlicht

Master Box LTD (MB) known for their rather lackluster Panzer IA kits have recently been turning out some rather nice figure sets. This set represents some later war figures that appear to be undergoing some anti-tank training.

Packaging:
The box is adorned with what in my honest opinion is some of the finest box art out there. The illustrator, A. Karaschuk is truly a master of his trade. Inside the box is a resealable plastic bag (nice touch) that contains one plastic sprue.

Parts:
The sprue contains 36 plastic parts molded in grey that build up into three figures. Each figure is made up of a torso, two arms, two legs, a head and various pieces of equipment and weapons.

The overall molding is hit or miss with the body parts having very sharp detail but a bit of flash to be removed while the head gear is plagued with sink marks and the equipments and weapons in some cases have excessive flash. Also the heads will most definitely need to be replaced with aftermarket ones (can we say "Hello Hornet")

The weapons included are a Panzerschreck (without shield), Panzerfaust and three rifles. The box art shows the troops armed with the standard Mauser bolt action but that is not what is in the kit. The rifles in the kit are....well unknown to me. I got out my trusty research material and the best I could come up with are M38 Mosin Nagant carbines or some type of Carcano. If any one knows please tell me.

Conclusion: This kit has been out for awhile but I just finally got my hands on it and must say I am pleasantly surprised. If it were not for the flash and heads I would rate this kit much higher. With that said the shortfalls of this kit are things that are very easily fixed or replaced so if the poses suit you needs do not hesitate to buy this kit.

Recommended

Last edited by schlichtr; 06-29-2007 at 11:32 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2007, 07:32 PM
vBench

Quote:
I wrote this review quite some time ago and sent it to Track-Link where it has sat for over two months now with out any action being taken to post it or inform me of any problems with it. So I will post it here instead. As I have several more in the works I will also post them here in the near future.
Good job Roy- That's what makes pA the best site for modeller's because unlike others that claim to be run by the modellers themselves, this forum is truly run by them as we all can post what we want when we want- no waiting for those on high to decide what is publishable or what isn't. Keep the reviews coming mate!

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP

Last edited by James Tainton; 06-20-2007 at 12:21 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2007, 08:16 PM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Ditto....

I have been wondering about the quality of these figures, and yes, that is some of the best box art out there. Thanks for the review Roy.

Larry

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2007, 02:49 AM
Ebbe Bergman

Send a message via MSN to Ebbe Bergman
Nice to see a review. As Larry wrote I have also been wondering about the quality regarding MB and this set. Perhaps I can order one now =O)

Ebbe

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2007, 03:25 AM
vBench

good review roy - thanxalot!

this is a cool figure set with excellent poses ... immediately upon viewing i had several ideas for some sceneries ... have a look at the facial expressions of them ... the one on the right telling a cock-and-bull story and the others marvelling his hunting skills (and now imagine a hunted down staff car and some very angry general in shredded clothing on the opposite side of the car)

those rifles indeed look like mosin nagant mod 1938 or mod 1944 carbines ... interesting ... strange but interesting ( http://world.guns.ru/rifle/rfl03-e.htm )

cheers
Old 06-20-2007, 08:00 AM
vBench

Thanks Roy...ditto's what the other said...I'm particularly pleased to see the cripness of the clothing..good review and photos.

Rick

Vbench
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2007, 08:04 AM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreighshoer View Post
good review roy - thanxalot!

this is a cool figure set with excellent poses ... immediately upon viewing i had several ideas for some sceneries ... have a look at the facial expressions of them ... the one on the right telling a cock-and-bull story and the others marvelling his hunting skills (and now imagine a hunted down staff car and some very angry general in shredded clothing on the opposite side of the car)

those rifles indeed look like mosin nagant mod 1938 or mod 1944 carbines ... interesting ... strange but interesting ( http://world.guns.ru/rifle/rfl03-e.htm )

cheers

excellent idea Laura

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2007, 11:14 AM
vBench

Thanks for this, I too was wondering about the quailty of MB. I might have to pick some of these up
Old 06-20-2007, 12:36 PM
vBench

Nicely done, Roy

and yes, she nailed it on the Carbines. These kick like a mother, by the way. The long gun isn't too bad but that short barrel will give you a beatin'.

This is a great little review - I wonder if we should establish a naming protocol, for AFV and figure kit reviews - like Andrew has done with the book review string?

Or is there a better way/place of doing this James?

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2007, 12:57 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwranta193 View Post
- I wonder if we should establish a naming protocol, for AFV and figure kit reviews - like Andrew has done with the book review string?

Or is there a better way/place of doing this James?
I think Paul's on to something here...(James) would it be possible to have a set-aside reviews forum for AFV, Fig, Dio, etc. sections on the Front Page...? I would imagine that it would be self-sustaining, and given the calibre and variety of talent here, I would think highly informative and "builder friendly"

thanks,
Rick

Vbench
Reply With Quote top