Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 07-04-2013, 12:21 PM
vBench

Alan, no worries, I very clearly see your point and its value. I also very much enjoy such discussions, so please bring forward anything at any point
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2013, 06:07 PM

Your project looks fantastic to me. Keep up the good work and looking forward to further updates.

AWD

my twitter https://twitter.com/#!/alexwence
my 'Attention To Detail' blog: http://scratch-builder.blogspot.com/
Modelers Alliance 'Masters Classes':http://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/alex-de-leon
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2013, 05:30 AM

hi Ivan
A nice project so far and well done. Just be careful with your stowage as you showed it in the first pic. I guess after such hit the stowage would not stay so nice arranged.
Regards from Vienna
Robert
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2013, 05:12 AM
vBench

Gentlemen,

I had a few hours for the hobby this weekend, and here are the results:

First I applied the decals -- as simple as they get -- depicting a 3.Zug, 5.Leichte Division vehicle. No pictures were taken at this point as it was just decals on the previously presented tank.

Then I moved (perhaps a bit too fast, later will tell why) on to the painting again. I airbrushed gradually several thin layers of light color to simulate the heavy dusting in the Western Desert which the vehicles accumulated fast. I used again my favorite Tamiya acrylics, this time in the very light range: Buff, Deck Tan, Desert Yellow 50/50 mix with White, and at the end, even a bit of pure White.

This gave me the effect I was after in terms of merging the decals into the vehicle, and also significantly reduced the contrast between the dark and light paint. I added manually just a little additional chipping here and there to represent very "fresh" damage on the paint -- which shouldn't be that big given the rapid dusting up.

And here's the problem I noticed: apparently I didn't wait long enough for Gunze's Decal setting solution to dry up enough, and the 5. Leichte insignia on the turret bin (the stroked through D) decal bulged up a bit under the paint. I hope it'll settle down when left alone for a while. If not, I'll figure out a solution.

Then, I proceeded with the basic wash. I used AK's DAK Vehicle wash and went over the whole vehicle. I cleaned up most of the spillage, and now I am giving it a couple of days to tighten up and touch it a bit additionally with some white spirit for modulation if needed.

Finally, for literally 5 minutes I made a quick test run of some additional color modulation using Oil paints -- the dot technique as it is known. The results can be seen on the turret top and on the top of the turret bin. I didn't want to continue any further with it at this point as it would mess up the wash. Hopefully next weekend Also, with Oil paint I added a slightly darker yellow-reddish color right under the mud guards as a starting point for some slightly darker streaking.

So this is it so far. The paint looks a bit rough at a few places -- either because of the HS technique or because my airbrush spat out a few thicker dots. Once fully dry, I'll treat these areas with a very fine file or sanding paper to even these out.

And now some pictures:

Next steps would be also including some more play with color (Oils and dot technique), and some serious use of filters.

Thanks a lot for your time and attention! And have a very nice and successful week!

Ivan
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2013, 05:19 AM
vBench

Thanks a lot Alex, will push forward as much as I can!

Robert, thank you very much as well! You're right about the stowage, I've dropped the idea for a number of reasons. And greetings from Sofia

Ivan
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2013, 12:22 PM
vBench

like it a lot!
just do something about that rough camo finish, that's second model with that kind of surface =/
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2013, 06:07 AM
vBench

Thanks Kuklinski,

Indeed, it is most likely the time I'll need to furnish myself with a new airbrush. I am beyond annoyed by these rough patches of paint. I will not leave it like this, but it takes a lot of (unnecessary) efforts to fix it. I'll have to look around for an Iwata or a H&D. I'm currently using a Paasche 0.2mm and while it gives me a better control, the actual finish of the paint is worse than my first airbrush (a Sparmax 0.3mm cheap Iwata knock-off). It just keeps spitting out these big blobs of paint.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2013, 08:39 PM
vBench

i always had problems (and i mean always! ever model!) with colors... revell colors were jamming in my single action brush... new series of terrible revell paint or something with thinner... always something, it's just frustrating
i'm buying vallejo in few days and new clean brush, old one's rubbers got melted cause of all those thinners... acrylics here i come!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2013, 06:24 AM
vBench

Hi everybody,

Here's a bit of an update on this one

I had a bit of time last weekend and finally am able to post a few images. I apologize for the poor quality of the pictures -- the light was not ideal for the shoot, and since I am using my iPad camera, they are also a bit too grainy.

I made an almost full pass (save for the upper hull) with an additional set of washes and filters. The model did suffer an accident -- I dropped the turret on the floor, and (of course) it fell gun-down. As a result, the barrel mounting cracked a bit -- i'll have to take care of it together with the sink marks on the mask, I just can't force myself to do it just yet.

I used a lot of oils (as opposed to the pre-made filters of Mig/AK) as an experimentation, and honestly, I loved it! The process is less restrictive and feels more creative. I personally feel much more comfortable and in control compared to using the pre-made filters. I guess I still have a lot to learn

Next step would be to use some pigments to add more dusting on the lower hull and here and there on the rest of the model -- and finish off the washing/filtering of the upper hull.

And now, a couple of images:

Thank you very much for your time and any comments you may have!

Have a great weekend,

Ivan
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2013, 09:29 AM
vBench

Nothing limp about this build!

Excellent painting / damage
Reply With Quote top