Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Reference

Reference Share what you have

Old 11-12-2007, 02:34 PM
vBench

101. schwere SS at Villers

I have been doing a lot of research on the s101 in France, mainly Villers and Wittman. A couple reference state Wittman's Tiger at Villers was 212 but most I've seen list 222. This is also debated as 231, although 231 was never listed as being combat ready. Wittman was assigned to 205 but I dont think anyone states he used this Tiger. If anyone has any ideas comments or research to further this debate I would be glad to hear from you.
Adam
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2007, 08:31 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigermud View Post
I have been doing a lot of research on the s101 in France, mainly Villers and Wittman. A couple reference state Wittman's Tiger at Villers was 212 but most I've seen list 222. This is also debated as 231, although 231 was never listed as being combat ready. Wittman was assigned to 205 but I dont think anyone states he used this Tiger. If anyone has any ideas comments or research to further this debate I would be glad to hear from you.
Adam
Hi Adam, as you may know this is one of those subjects that gets brought up on a regular basis on the various forums. The current consensus is that Wittmann's ride at Villers was 212 or 231. Though in the past a couple of well known authors have suggested 222 was a possibility we now know that photographic evidence has ruled it out. Personally, after reading accounts of the battle and studying the available pics I lean toward 212, but at least one well known author, Daniel Taylor, leans the other way, toward 231. By the way if you don't have Taylor's book "Villers Bocage Through the Lense" it is well worth the price. For more info do a search of the Missing-Lynx Axis forum on this subject. In particular, look for posts by Yann Joualt, Barry Crook, James Blackwell, and Michael Kenny. Here is a link to a discussion over on Tanknet that you might find interesting. It's no short read so grab a cup of joe, or whatever you like, and wade in.
http://63.99.108.76/forums/index.php?showtopic=21545

Regards,
Mike
Old 11-13-2007, 12:01 PM
vBench

Thanks for the info and link. I guess what I find interesting about 212 and 321 is that I have found no references that those where operational that day. Tylor, I believe, listed that Tigers 211, 221, 222, 223, 233, 234 operational with 233 or 234 having track damage. If I am correct then his idea that 321 was used brings up the question which info is he incorrect about; the operational tanks or the tank Wittman used. Schneider list the tank as 222, but doesn't give a list of operational Tigers.

Well I will keep looking so once again thanks and if anyone have more references let me know.
Adam
Reply With Quote top