Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 03-09-2007, 08:20 AM
vBench

tankette Jagdpanther Mid production - Schwere Panzerjaeger Abteilung 654

It's been awhile time since I added a new model kit to my vBench. With all these fantastic 38ts, Stug IIIs, Panthers..the last thing you want to see is me making a hash of another kit.

Well, I decided to finally finish off my JP that I started when I first re-entered this hobby a couple of years ago. It is about 90% done save for the roadwheels and tracks.

The kit is DMLs Jagdpanther early version. I wanted to build a mid-production version where the tool stowage were relocated to the rear engine deck. This was done as they used to get ripped off the tank sides when travesing through bushes. The mid-production version also has a two piece barrel.

Since no manufacturer makes a mid-production version, I had to make the modifications. Firstly, the barrel was replaced with one from Aber (#35L-15).

For the zimmerit, I used ATAK #35024 Jagdpanther early version. I removed a section of the zimmerit on the left rear superstructure side to fit the extra stowage bin. The zimmerit sheet was very easy to use. Firstly lay a piece of sand paper on a flat surface and then gently sand away the bottom of the zimmerit sheet. The zimmerit pieces will then gently come away from the carrier film. Then using 2 part epoxy glue, I fixed it on the JP. But I found that hull side sheets were too short Maybe it's to do with resin shrinkage but it still means I have to fix it I then cut the sheet in half and filled in the missing part with putty.

Good thing about the ATAK zimmerit is that they provide for the area behind the roadwheels

The areas where the tools used to be was also patched up with homemade zimmerit.

The tools as mentioned earlier have been relocated to here. PE set is from Aber #35028. This set is for Tamiya/Revell/Italeri but it worked fine for DML. The spare antenna tube is from a piece of clear tube.

The fire extinguisher and spade was relocated to right side of the rear superstructure.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of P1010003.JPG
Views:	1304
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	859  

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2007, 08:27 AM
vBench

Looking funky.

s

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2007, 08:32 AM
vBench

very cool jagdpanther

and great fix with the zimm ...
Old 03-09-2007, 08:45 AM
vBench

Thanks Siim and Laura

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2007, 08:54 AM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Looks real nice Larry

Laz

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2007, 09:05 AM
vBench

Here's a view of the rear of the cat. The tow hook supports wre made from brass sheeting as with the exhaust support mounts. Exhaust opening were drilled out and thin wire was added. The jack was made with styrene and Aber PE parts. The starter crank was relocated as well and the rear tail light added.

I made the clasps workable!

Moving to the turret roof, the rain guards were replaced with brass strips. The three protruding spikes were added. I sanded the tip down as they tapered.

I added the casting number using ABer's PE numbers.

Inside the gunner's hatch

The driver's visor was the narrow type and was made from brass sheet. The left visor hole was plugged with plastic

The MG ball mount was provided in the ATAK set. The tow cable post and mount was made from brass strip and plastic rod.

Fender rails are from Aber #35 A24 and the conical bolts from Calibre 35

The Bosch lamp was detailed with some brass strips and plastic bolts. Front fenders are from ATAK.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2007, 09:07 AM
vBench

Quote:
Looks real nice Larry

Laz
Thanks Laz It was my first effort after 15 years and never got round to finishing it. But that will change!

Laz 2

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2007, 09:22 AM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Ah come on Laz 2, you can do it!!

Just don't use Krylon !

Laz

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2007, 10:23 AM
vBench

Looks really COOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2007, 01:07 PM
vBench

Do you know which vehicle from 654 do you want to do? I have just finished JJF book...

The good thing is that you could depict it anywhere from Normandy till thr Ruhr pocket (yes, initial one-piece barrel and zimmerith where used till the very end)

As you said with the Achtunf Panzer, one is always tempted to make a model after having read about it!

Now, it´s time to see airbrush show

Regards,

Antonio
Reply With Quote top