Old 02-22-2008, 12:04 AM
vBench

A few Marder III H questions

Hey, started working on my Tristar Marder again, have a few questions on the vehicle.
1. Radio setup. The kit has the radio set installed above the drive shaft. Mike Bishop, in his build at Track Link, stated this was incorrect and moved the radio to the fighting compartment. However, I am not convinced this is accurate, as there is no way I can see the radio set fitting in there unless ammo stowage is removed. But as I have no references on the vehicle, I have turned to you for guidance.
2. Hull Ammo stowage. At what point was the radio operator's seat replaced and the ammo installed?
3. I have two options in mind for finishing. One is LAH at Kharkov, the other is a pre-Kursk LAH vehicle in a dunkelgelb and green/brown scheme, but I am unsure if the unit had Marder IIIH at this point.

A lot of questions, I know, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2008, 02:26 PM
vBench

Evan

Here are a couple of reviews that mention the radio location.

DML Marder IIIH Review by Frank V de Sisto
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47732...93Smart+Kit%94

Quote:
It should be noted that photos in the cited references show different configurations on the different vehicles, so I am not surprised that there is some confusion on the part of DMLs consultants and designers.

For instance, reference 2 states that the radio set was located “above drive shaft cover”. If so, how did the operator (who commanded the vehicle and acted as the gunner) access it from his position, especially with the ten rounds of ammunition stowed next to it? In reference 6, page 80 top, shows the mount for an Fu.5 radio as provided in the kit on the right side of the superstructure. This photo also shows an antenna mount on the outer edge of the superstructure on that same side. Reference 2, page 7/148 also shows this antenna mount. But most photos show the mount as partially given in the kit for what I presume is the Fu.”d” radio set. Since as I just mentioned, the commander was also the gunner AND the radio operator, one would presume the radio itself would be on that side. And of course, reference 6 shows mounts for a radio set on that side as well!

Tristar Marder IIIH Review by Frank V de Sisto
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47732...der+III+Ausf.H

Quote:
It should be noted that photos in the cited references show different configurations on the different vehicles, so I am not surprised that there is some confusion on the part of Tristar’s consultants and designers. For instance, reference 2 states that the radio set was located “above drive shaft cover”. If so, how did the operator (who commanded the vehicle and acted as the gunner) access it from his position during combat, especially with the ten rounds of ammunition stowed next to it, as well as (supposedly) a seat? Reference 5, page 80 top, shows the mount for an Fu.5 radio on the right side of the superstructure. This photo also shows an antenna mount on the outer edge of the superstructure on that same side. Reference 2, page 7/148 also shows this antenna mount. But most photos show the mount as given in the kit for what I presume is the Fu.”d” radio set. Since as I just mentioned, the commander was also the gunner AND the radio operator, one would presume the radio itself would be on that side; reference 5 shows mounts for a radio set on that side as well.

Confused? So am I…
My opinion is that the radio was mounted over the drive shaft as mentioned in Panzer Tracts 7-2. The photo in Nuts and Bolts show a mounting plate on the right side and is incorrectly labeled as the mount for the radio. This is because all radios for AFVs are mounted in a frame box that include "V" shaped dampeners. The mount shown in Nuts and Bolts is incorrect for radio sets and is actually for the Bordsprech-schaltkasten (intercom switchboard).

On the left side, the Tristar includes a little box (C-28) and this is where the headphones are plugged into. Both kits however does not include the conduit tube for the wires leading up to this junction box.

Mounting the radio on the right side does not seem likely because:
1 - The mount is not correct for a radio
2 - There is not enough available space on the right side compared than on the left. There are 4 ammo shells on the right side versus 2 on the left side.

Which leads to the left side. If the radio was mounted on the side armor it is more likely to be on the left side than the right side. This is because the antenna mount is on the left side and if you look at all SPGs, Nashorn, Hummel, Grille, Marder IIIM, Marder II, Marder etc, the antenna mount is always on the same side as the radio. It does not make sense to place the radio on the opposite side and have to drag the wire across the gun to the antenna. It's much easier to place the antenna mount near the radio.

But on the Marder IIIH, it is again unlikely to be on the left side because:
1 - The middle photo on page 84 of Nuts and Bolts clearly show the wire conduit for the junction box which would interefere with a radio placed there
2 - No evidence of any mounting brackets
3 - Photo of a prototype Marder IIIH in PanzerTracts (page 7-137) shows a fire extinguisher on the left side above the two ammo shell racks.

Another point is that the dynamotors are usually located near the radio sets. The dynamotors are not provided in the DML kit. The Tristar kit provides two, one for each radio and are located under the drive shaft.

Even with the 10 ammo shell racks in the left hull side, it was sufficiently far enough to the front not have interfered with the operation of the radio by the commander/gunner/radio operator.

But as Frank mentioned, on page 7-148 in Panzer Tracts, there photos of a Marder IIIH showing the antenna mount on the left side. Photos of Marder IIIHs with antennna mounts on the left side are rare and I believe that this is a command version where the 4 ammo racks were removed and replaced by the radio. You can see the radio rack form the rear shot and it is located on the low side.

Nuts and Bolts also show the left side seat frame next to the 10 ammo shell rack. Tristar has it too far back. I believe the seat was removed to accommodate the ammo rack.

Anyone else got any opinions?

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2008, 04:13 PM
vBench

Location: Somewhere near polarbears, reindeers and Santa let loose on Arctic circle..
I would bet my money on above driveshaft below main weapon. Most logical place. Safer than on side of superstructure, from enemy action and weather. Did I understand correctly that ausf.H didn't have machine gunner/radio operator anymore even if machine gun is in place. On what side of gun commander stand? Left?