Old 02-22-2008, 10:49 AM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
HI Evan,

Quote:
OK, this might seem dumb but...
I was going to play around with it tonight, figured I would run some water through just to get a feel for it, then experiment a little with paint. However, after filling the cup 1/2 full with some water I found that nothing would come out. Air was coming out the nozzle, but no water. Any ideas?
Not sure what you're doing wrong here, but it has to be somethiing simple like the paintflow is turned down ? Maybe check the literature to get going. I myself have never used a Tamiya airbrush, but many hobby airbrushes have unique features to make airbrushing for the hobbyist easier. Check all the kn obs and adjustments. It's really not that hard. Don't be afraid. Like the others have already said, it pretty hard to screw up an AB except the needle itself, also, never jamb the needle or force anything through the tip or you'll enlarge the nozzle and ruin it. I did this once and found out the nozzle, that tiny little thing, was the most expensive part! at the time $30.00.

So, dive in and have fun. Once you get the hang of it you'll love it.

Laz

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2008, 01:24 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfaust View Post
Maybe there is a hole in the bottom of the paint cup?
Actually there is, as the paint cup is on top

Thanks for the youtube links, I'll check them out later.

Laura, I doubt it's a clogged nozzle as it is a brand new brush and never been used.

Larry, I played around with it some but couldn't get anything to happen, I have Sunday off so I probably mess around with it then.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2008, 02:44 PM
vBench

maybe something here?
http://books.google.com/books?id=7wT...mnbbDo#PPP1,M1

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2008, 02:45 PM
vBench

or maybe
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...e+Search&meta=

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2008, 02:23 AM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Evan,

I just looked up your air brush. It sure looks like a knock off of the Iwata airbrushes. I didn't find many details, but does it have a dual action trigger? When you press down and hear the air, also pull back on the trigger at the same time and see if that does it. Some airbrushes are single action, the more expensive, or proffesional ones are dual action. Other than that I can't think of anything else.

Laz

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2008, 08:09 AM
vBench

Tamiya Airbrush

Ok Evan,
This is a long answer but I have read this thread a couple of times and tried to come up with some sound advice for you, and this is about my 10th attempt at writting it and trying not to sound like a school principal...
I think Larry may have hit the nail on the head. If you are shooting straight thinners be it water, alcohol or what ever and nothing is coming out it maybe something as simple as the difference between a dual action and single action.
The tamiya airbrush looks like the Iwatas because they are made in the same factory. It is a very fine airbrush and is dual action. This means you push down to get propellant and pull back to fire the paint. Sounds simple but for someone unaccustomed to using a dual action airbrush it can be something that simple.
Working in the LHS we have people coming in all the time unable to work their brushes. 9 times out of 10 it is just simply learning to use the brush, (frustrating when they don't buy them from us and get the advice to start with). By all means take into account the advice on paints and thinners given by the people here, but also do not be afraid to try things yourself. As to cleaning and maintanence for acrylics windex is a great cleaner although it can struggle with Gunze paints (at least the windex made in Oz does). I use Alcohol as it will wipe away any acrylic no worries.
With this type of airbrush the most common failings relate to 2 things.
Water in the propellant lines and paint being to thick.
A good water trap is a must to solve the first item, an extra length of hose (approx 1m) between the compressor and the water trap can help a lot to. This allows the heated air from the compressor (when you compress gas you release energy in the form of heat in the case of air) to cool and any moisture to recondense back to liquid from gas before it leaves the water trap. Water in the air lines will cause puffs or splats to occur if you are spraying for any length of time.
The thinner to paint ratio is dependant on a lot of things. Thick paint will cause splattering and runs to occur. I always err on the side of to much thinner, you can always add more small portions of paint. I thin my paints at roughy a 9:1 ratio. 9 parts thinner to 1 part paint. It is easier to put a second coat on after the first is dry than to strip the model if the paint blots out the detail. Just to let you know I use alcohol to thin my Tamiya and Gunze paints. The Superfine has a small nozzle 0.23 I think from memory so will work much better with very thin paints than thick.
The last piece of advice I will offer is to mix your paints outside the airbrush cup. I have some plastic party cups that cost like $1 for 10 cups that I use. By mixing outside you are assured that the paint and chosen thinners are mixed properly before you spray it onto your piece of work. You can also mix as much as you need (important if like me you tend to mix paint colours to get a final colour) and you will also have a consistent paint mix for the session. Use an old thick brush (clean of course) to do the mixing rather than a stick or some such. The brush will ensure the paint is mixed better. I have a brush i use especially for my airbrushing as it can also help to clean out the paint cup etc after you finish. I find cotton buds etc tend to sometimes leave fibres behind which can clog the nozzle. Especially in the high end airbrushes like the Tamy SF and Iwata HP or micron series.
Sorry for sounding so long winded but I am hoping I can offer some good advice here. I think it was Scott who said earlier "Practice, Practice, Practice" and no truer words were spoken. Most of all do not be afraid, and try things until you get what you want from the brush. The Tamiya Airbrush is a great brush and it should give you many hours of painting pleasure.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:31 PM
vBench

Thanks guys, some great advice here. Mic and Larry, that was exactly what the problem was. I thought of that the other night, then read your posts, and just tried it a minute ago. Works great. The Tamiya instructions don't make the actual operation that clear to someone with no previous experience.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2008, 07:28 PM
vBench

Evan,

YEAAAA!!!!!!!

Glad to have figured it out. Mic has also offered very excellent advice. ABove all, and as with any thing, it takes time and practice, and actually building the muscles up in your trigger finger. Don't laugh its true. To be able to get the control of paint to air takes muscle memory in your finger, so don't be too depressed (no pun intended, but wish I thought of it....) if you don't get excellent results right off the bat. As soon as you get the hang of it, you ll love it.

Laz

:Hang in there.

Reply With Quote top